Kyle Rittenhouse

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The problem is the lack of recourse. The Brits have a great thing where, if you prove your interaction with the cops violated your rights, you get 500 pounds through a minimal, no-fuss administrative process. You're free to go through the months or years of hassle and expense of suing for the big bucks, or you can get the 500 pretty close to "then and there." A few weeks.
My issue 6-8 months into the Covid lockdowns where that the courts where closed, or running out of school gymnasiums for social distancing space, without the ability to have me teleconference (on the court’s side) in from another jurisdiction, etc…. So I could’ve racked up crazy air miles over five and $600 fines that were BS and incorrect, when travel restrictions where in place preventing me from appearing on behalf of drivers (they would be considered essential but I wouldn’t) for court appearances. It was a catch 22 situation, repeatedly!! It was weird times.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
My issue 6-8 months into the Covid lockdowns where that the courts where closed, or running out of school gymnasiums for social distancing space, without the ability to have me teleconference (on the court’s side) in from another jurisdiction, etc…. So I could’ve racked up crazy air miles over five and $600 fines that were BS and incorrect, when travel restrictions where in place preventing me from appearing on behalf of drivers (they would be considered essential but I wouldn’t) for court appearances. It was a catch 22 situation, repeatedly!! It was weird times.
I'm not going to debate the necessity (that's been done to death), but all I can say is "public health emergency" (again, not debating whether it was worth everything that was done).

Did you get it sorted, or give up and pay just to get the morons off your back?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not going to debate the necessity (that's been done to death), but all I can say is "public health emergency" (again, not debating whether it was worth everything that was done).

Did you get it sorted, or give up and pay just to get the morons off your back?
Fought every one of them so as not to set a precedent and get $600’d to death over something incorrect that would become habit forming & low hanging fruit.

Reactions: Mowich

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This I can attest to. I work for a small transport company (A little under 30 trucks and drivers). We are supposed to know every rule and every law in every jurisdiction in each country that we traverse.

One of my hats that I wear beyond half a dozen others is that of Compliance Officier for our company.

We know most but not everything, and sometimes things change in a particular state that we’re not aware of for months. Just had no reason to know that a change had happened. Sometimes education costs with a bit of a financial Peepee whack.

It is absolutely astonishing how little many law enforcement officers actually know about their own states laws and rules. Don’t get me wrong and I’m not knocking the job because I wouldn’t want to do it.

The absolute worst was about 6 to 8 months into Covid lockdowns…& law enforcement in places (not all but many) must have been bored. People with no knowledge base or very little and some of it very wrong we’re trying to perform commercial enforcement just because they had a badge and a gun and time on their hands and truckers were actually moving.

Ugh….

“That changed about six years ago sir” but you would take eight or 10 months to fight it just show that something changed six or eight years ago and they were wrong….or “ I can provide you with a local number which you can verify this with if you would like sir…”…which never goes over well.

“Yes the license plate for this Truck is supposed to be on the front of it, on the front bumper, due to the International Registration Program” & “ no it does not look like a highway tractor but it is registered into jurisdictionally so it Has to follow the same rules.” Then eight or 10 months later you finally get something over turned because it was just wrong.

Oh well. Good times.
I think the tire cops often invent their own rules just because they are bored. Latest on from Parksville scales is that mudflaps now have to have reflective tape on them. Not in the inspection book though nor does the guy that just did the inspection know anything about it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Fought every one of them so as not to set a precedent and get $600’d to death over something incorrect that would become habit forming & low hanging fruit.
Good man. But the points you and taxslave make about the cops are troubling, but not surprising. The cops exist to make arrests/citations, and they are rewarded for making arrests/citations. Is it surprising that, being not real bright, they come up with stupid ways to make arrests/citations? Especially being as how they're almost never held accountable?

Reactions: Mowich and taxslave

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Good man. But the points you and taxslave make about the cops are troubling, but not surprising. The cops exist to make arrests/citations, and they are rewarded for making arrests/citations. Is it surprising that, being not real bright, they come up with stupid ways to make arrests/citations? Especially being as how they're almost never held accountable?
There’s lots of good cops, and lots of bright cops, & many who fall into both categories….& a handful that fall into neither category….and they’re the ones whose interactions are the most memorable unfortunately.

Reactions: taxslave and Mowich

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There’s lots of good cops, and lots of bright cops, & many who fall into both categories….& a handful that fall into neither category….and they’re the ones whose interactions are the most memorable unfortunately.
I'd think more of the allegedly good cops if they did a little dust & clean on their ranks.

Not sure how it works up yonder, but down here it's the only profession that has official permission from the Supreme Court to lie (Frazier v. Cupp), and the only one where being smart disqualifies an applicant (Jordan v. City of New London, Second Circuit).

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'd think more of the allegedly good cops if they did a little dust & clean on their ranks.

Not sure how it works up yonder, but down here it's the only profession that has official permission from the Supreme Court to lie (Frazier v. Cupp), and the only one where being smart disqualifies an applicant (Jordan v. City of New London, Second Circuit).
Ditto.
The majority of police In Canada being federal has some advantages. It helps prevent little corrupt empires. There is one corrupt empire run out of Ottawa. City police have their own little rings of crime of course. The bigger problem is the almost police, like CVSE in BC that run the scales and hand out fines to people trying to earn a legal living. Pre req for the job is previous police or military police experience, so they are not getting the brightest to start with. Oddly enough knowing about trucks is not necessary. Just how to write tickets.