Trudeau Prepares to Take Quebec

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

The prime minister and Quebec premier appear to be getting along — bad news for the Conservatives and Bloc​

On Mar. 15, Trudeau was in Montreal with Legault to announce an investment in an electric vehicle manufacturer based in Saint-Jérôme, north of the city. A week later, the two men were in Trois-Rivières to announce funding for high-speed internet access in Quebec. The federal government's portion of the cost will help Legault fulfil a campaign promise he made in 2018.

That second announcement took place in a riding Trudeau's Liberals came just 2.4 points short of winning in the 2019 election — and where the incumbent Bloc MP has announced she will not be running again.

In Quebec, where concerns about climate change poll higher than in any other part of the country, the perception that the Conservatives are not taking the environment seriously will not do the party any favours.

Neither will the party's decision to change the rules for its leadership contests. A subtle shift in how votes will be counted in future leadership campaigns willhave the effect of diminishing Quebec's influence the next time the party chooses a leader.

What a Legault-Trudeau detente might mean for the Liberals in Quebec | CBC News

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

The prime minister and Quebec premier appear to be getting along — bad news for the Conservatives and Bloc​

On Mar. 15, Trudeau was in Montreal with Legault to announce an investment in an electric vehicle manufacturer based in Saint-Jérôme, north of the city. A week later, the two men were in Trois-Rivières to announce funding for high-speed internet access in Quebec. The federal government's portion of the cost will help Legault fulfil a campaign promise he made in 2018.

That second announcement took place in a riding Trudeau's Liberals came just 2.4 points short of winning in the 2019 election — and where the incumbent Bloc MP has announced she will not be running again.

In Quebec, where concerns about climate change poll higher than in any other part of the country, the perception that the Conservatives are not taking the environment seriously will not do the party any favours.

Neither will the party's decision to change the rules for its leadership contests. A subtle shift in how votes will be counted in future leadership campaigns willhave the effect of diminishing Quebec's influence the next time the party chooses a leader.

If I was a woman in Trudeau's cabinet, and he's posing for a selfie in front of another bus, I'd be pretty damn unnerved as the last time he posed in front of a bus shortly afterwords he threw Raybould/Wilson under it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Good. He can take it right out of Canada and most of our problems will be solved.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
"In Quebec, where concerns about climate change poll higher than in any other part of the country, the perception that the Conservatives are not taking the environment seriously will not do the party any favours."

Yep, soooo concerned about it they're paying a 50% lower carbon tax rate than the ROC. Soooo concerned about it that they had an energy project in the province that included *GASP* pipelines. Soooo concerned about it that the province has made zero moves to shut down its refining industry. Soooo concerned about it that their cement industry is still productive and pays a 50% lower carbon tax rate than Ontario's cement industry.
No wonder you love Quebec so much, they're a bunch of hypocritical assholes like yourself.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It was a joke, you extremely intelligent person.

Also, good luck with that referendum lol
Why thank you. We fully intend to have a referendum. The biggest holdup is the wording.
Should the west separate from Canada
SHould all of Canada kick Quebec out of confederation.
Because I have friends on the other side of Quebec I am inclined to go with option 2.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yeah, please do keep reminding me how that referendum is going.

Until it happens, I get to call you a total dumbass lol

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

BREAKING: Trudeau agrees Quebec can unilaterally change constitution

Trudeau’s comment had Calgary MP Michelle Rempel Garner immediately asking if Alberta can now change the constitution for its own good.

Published 58 mins ago on May 18, 2021
By Dave Naylor

Quebec can change the Canadian constitution all by itself, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday after an initial assessment by the federal government.
Premier François Legault told Trudeau in a letter on the weekend that was Quebec’s goal.
Legault said it has to be done after his government introduced massive changes to provincial language laws.
The letter said Quebec has the power to unilaterally change the constitution to affirm Quebec is a nation and that French is its official language.

The new law includes tougher sign laws and stronger language requirements for businesses governments and schools.
Trudeau’s comment had Calgary MP Michelle Rempel Garner immediately asking if Alberta can now change the constitution for its own good.
“So … by the same token, Alberta should be able to unilaterally amend Section 36 of the Constitution Act?,” Garner tweeted minutes after Trudeau’s comment.
“I mean if we’re going to play this game let’s do it up right.”

Section 36 guarantees equal opportunity in economic development.
Legault said the use of French was declining in Quebec and tough laws are needed to protect the language.
“When I think of all the generations that have succeeded and managed to keep French alive on a massively English-speaking continent, I realize the great responsibility I have,” he said in a Facebook post.
“French in Quebec will always be threatened. And every generation has a responsibility to ensure their survival. It’s our turn to carry the torch, our turn to protect our tongue with pride. As the prime minister of Quebec, my first duty, my first duty is to protect our language.

Legault said, “This law will be the strongest action to protect our language,” since the passage of Law 101 in 1977.
“Our language is at the heart of what we are as a nation. Let’s be proud of our history! Let’s be proud to live in Quebec in French!”
The letter also notes former prime minister Stephen Harper’s government adopted a motion in 2006 recognizing Quebec as a nation.
Legault’s letter said Quebec will use all available means, including the notwithstanding clause, to support the bill.

… more to come

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair

BREAKING: Trudeau agrees Quebec can unilaterally change constitution

Published 58 mins ago on May 18, 2021
By Dave Naylor

Quebec can change the Canadian constitution all by itself, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday after an initial assessment by the federal government.
Premier François Legault told Trudeau in a letter on the weekend that was Quebec’s goal.
Legault said it has to be done after his government introduced massive changes to provincial language laws.
The letter said Quebec has the power to unilaterally change the constitution to affirm Quebec is a nation and that French is its official language.

The new law includes tougher sign laws and stronger language requirements for businesses governments and schools.
“So … by the same token, Alberta should be able to unilaterally amend Section 36 of the Constitution Act?,” Garner tweeted minutes after Trudeau’s comment.
“I mean if we’re going to play this game let’s do it up right.”

Section 36 guarantees equal opportunity in economic development.
Legault said the use of French was declining in Quebec and tough laws are needed to protect the language.
“When I think of all the generations that have succeeded and managed to keep French alive on a massively English-speaking continent, I realize the great responsibility I have,” he said in a Facebook post.
“French in Quebec will always be threatened. And every generation has a responsibility to ensure their survival. It’s our turn to carry the torch, our turn to protect our tongue with pride. As the prime minister of Quebec, my first duty, my first duty is to protect our language.

Legault said, “This law will be the strongest action to protect our language,” since the passage of Law 101 in 1977.
“Our language is at the heart of what we are as a nation. Let’s be proud of our history! Let’s be proud to live in Quebec in French!”
The letter also notes former prime minister Stephen Harper’s government adopted a motion in 2006 recognizing Quebec as a nation.
Legault’s letter said Quebec will use all available means, including the notwithstanding clause, to support the bill.

… more to come

Hah! Good luck with that.

Quebec had refused to sign the constitution. No way can a Province unilaterally change the constitution, let alone a province that had refused to sign the document. It’s not going to happen.