Who's the Most Popular Modern President?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

WASHINGTON, DC – According to a new Gallup survey, President John F. Kennedy remains the highest-rated president in modern history. President Ronald Reagan came in second with a 74% approval rating while Richard Nixon remained last with 29%. The survey, published Monday, asked Americans "whether they approve or disapprove of how each [president] handled his job in office." Here are four takeaways from the new poll:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/whosthemostpopularmodernpresident6068;_ylt=AvRvoL6HrS_cLzP21TOoKzESq594;_ylu=X3oDMTNwb2prOG1rBGFzc2V0Ay9zL2F0bGFudGljL3dob3N0aGVtb3N0cG9wdWxhcm1vZGVybnByZXNpZGVudDYwNjgEY2NvZGUDbXBfZWNfOF8xMARjcG9zAzgEcG9zAzgEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawN3aG9zdGhlbW9zdHA-

No argument from me.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No surprise, as Neil Young said, it's better to burn out than to fade away. Kennedy died before the chickens could come home to roost.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

WASHINGTON, DC – According to a new Gallup survey, President John F. Kennedy remains the highest-rated president in modern history. President Ronald Reagan came in second with a 74% approval rating while Richard Nixon remained last with 29%. The survey, published Monday, asked Americans "whether they approve or disapprove of how each [president] handled his job in office." Here are four takeaways from the new poll:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/whosthemostpopularmodernpresident6068;_ylt=AvRvoL6HrS_cLzP21TOoKzESq594;_ylu=X3oDMTNwb2prOG1rBGFzc2V0Ay9zL2F0bGFudGljL3dob3N0aGVtb3N0cG9wdWxhcm1vZGVybnByZXNpZGVudDYwNjgEY2NvZGUDbXBfZWNfOF8xMARjcG9zAzgEcG9zAzgEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawN3aG9zdGhlbW9zdHA-

No argument from me.

Okay....the definition of modern history is from about 1300 to the present....lol......

Recent history would be a better term..........say 1900 to present.

I like Teddy Roosevelt, LBJ, Truman and FDR. In that order. Except for TR, all democrats.

Honourary mention to Bush Sr.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Best modern president....................

JFK ,the Democrat almost got us into a 3rd WW -Cuban missile crisis ;
R Reagan ,the Republican ( praise republicans oh Lord ) played a part( together with good all JP-2 and the Polish people (Solidarity ) in falling down of the iron curtain .

Last edited:

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
George W. Bush for sure! History will vindicate him. Have you been watching him promote his awesome new book on the talk shows? He's got a great sense of humor. My kind of guy.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Ronald Reagan without a doubt!

I spent a few hours in switch-back lines on the Washington National Mall in the summer of 2004, in order to pay my respects. I would have done the same for Pope John Paul II if I could have driven to his funeral.

BTW, if you want to have a better understanding of Reagan the Man and President, visit his Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Ronald Reagan without a doubt!

I spent a few hours in switch-back lines on the Washington National Mall in the summer of 2004, in order to pay my respects. I would have done the same for Pope John Paul II if I could have driven to his funeral.

BTW, if you want to have a better understanding of Reagan the Man and President, visit his Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.

I liked Reagan a lot too, but he I was really young when he served. I don't know as much about him as I would like too. :)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I remember the night Kennedy spoke on the Missile Crisis, and his efforts prevented a lot more
problems in North America. As for the most popular, FDR and I like Harry Truman as well, his
problem was he couldn't get past the four star general stars of Eisenhower, but he was a better
President. Next would be Kennedy, followed by Clinton. The most progressive and the one
that did the most was LBJ, he put into action the progressive agenda that later Presidents built
on. The Worst was Young Bush and Reagan, who was the reason we have so many problems
today.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
damngrumpy, Lyndon Baines Johnson was the one who started the destruction of individual responsibilty by signing the greatest crime against America into law: The Great Society. Opening doors for generations of welfare free-loaders, illegitimate births, moral decline and societal decay.

He was also the poster boy for cowardice by opting out of running for the Presidency, sanctioning the since-then-prevailing view that if you don't succeed the Hell with it. And he was also an animal abuser, not surprisingly.

Reagan caused the Berlin Wall fall and the liberation of Eastern Europe, one of those countries, there, being my old country.

One the lighter side Reagan could tell a joke far better than LBJ, FDR, JFK and Clinton combined. He had more hope and optimism, more faith in his country than any and all the above-mentioned worthies.

Based on your post, you are long overdue for a visit to the Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
damngrumpy, Lyndon Baines Johnson was the one who started the destruction of individual responsibilty by signing the greatest crime against America into law: The Great Society. Opening doors for generations of welfare free-loaders, illegitimate births, moral decline and societal decay.
Hey komrade. How the hell did he mixed up with the Gramsci Cultural Bolsheviks? Was he playing both sides? If so why didn't the Kennedy to Khrushchev joint moon holiday go through? Was LBJ the loose cannon? Some say Khrushchev held out and after Kennedy died so did the deal for joint exploration of space. I'm glad he achieved his real goal before being kicked out, it was what led to the real break down of the Soviet Union.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ronnie is the greatest since Truman and Eisenhower, Kennedy was more about appearance than substance, don't know WTF Nixon had going for him. Ford was one the most honest.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
jfk prevented the u.s. from being a direct missille target from cuba, by putting a stop to the
transport of same from soviet union. I remember it all very clearly, and if he hadn't done that
at that time, those missiles would be set up as we speak, just waiting to be launched into the
u.s. at the whim of whatever local dictator gets an itchy trigger finger.

soviet union was threatening world war 3 by their transport of missiles, and good on him to step
up and make a stand, and not sit by idly and let it happen.

jfk was definitely an interesting and intelligent president, and really drew the people to him, and
gave 'all' a feeling of security and he showed great leadership.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I feel kind of guilty raining on everyone's parade but Reagan and Kennedy both benefit from rose tinted glass syndrome in most peoples' eyes. Kennedy gave some great speeches and really galvanized the US in things like the space race, but he was also responsible for startomg the escalations in Vietnam. People blame Johnson for it but he only followed Kennedy's lead. Reagan was another one that people look at for his charisma and people say he was responsible for ending the cold war (which was more about the USSR not being able to sustain the extended economic outlay that the arms race required than just the programs Reagan wanted to put in place) but we tend to want to forget about the failure of his "reaganomics" and that he set the stage for the banking collapse and economic situation the US and much of the rest of the West is in right now. In both cases, if following presidents had used some initiative and changed course, the downside of their legacies would have been diminished but that didn't happen.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I feel kind of guilty raining on everyone's parade but Reagan and Kennedy both benefit from rose tinted glass syndrome in most peoples' eyes. Kennedy gave some great speeches and really galvanized the US in things like the space race, but he was also responsible for startomg the escalations in Vietnam. People blame Johnson for it but he only followed Kennedy's lead. Reagan was another one that people look at for his charisma and people say he was responsible for ending the cold war (which was more about the USSR not being able to sustain the extended economic outlay that the arms race required than just the programs Reagan wanted to put in place) but we tend to want to forget about the failure of his "reaganomics" and that he set the stage for the banking collapse and economic situation the US and much of the rest of the West is in right now. In both cases, if following presidents had used some initiative and changed course, the downside of their legacies would have been diminished but that didn't happen.

Yeah, no doubt Kennedy had a pretty sleazy side to him but he came by it honestly. :smile: