US Senate elections predictions

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Some predictions for the US Senate races, if I were put on the spot and forced to make them. It's nine days before Election Day, so it's a good time to be making them. There's only 37 total, and most of them are safe. How hard could it be, right?

CT: Richard Blumenthal (D) vs. Linda McMahon (R). Blumenthal.
DE: Chris Coons (D) vs. Christine O'Donnell (R). Coons.
IL: Alexi Giannoulias (D) vs. Mark Kirk (R). Giannoulias.
IN: Brad Ellsworth (D) vs. Dan Coats (R). Coats.
ND: Tracy Potter (D) vs. John Hoeven (R). Hoeven.
WV: Joe Manchin (D) vs. John Raese (R). Manchin.
FL: Kendrick Meek (D) vs. Marco Rubio (R) vs. Charlie Crist (I). Rubio.
KS: Lisa Johnston (D) vs. Jerry Moran (R). Moran.
KY: Jack Conway (D) vs. Rand Paul (R). Conway.
MO: Robin Carnahan (D) vs. Roy Blunt (R). Blunt.
NH: Paul Hodes (D) vs. Kelly Ayotte (R). Ayotte.
OH: Lee Fischer (D) vs. Rob Portman (R). Portman.
PA: Joe Sestak (D) vs. Pat Toomey (R). Wow. The hardest one so far. Sestak has had momentum lately, so I'll go with him.
AK: Scott McAdams (D) vs. Joe Miller (R) vs. Lisa Murkokski (write-in). Murkowski.
UT: Sam Granato (D) vs. Mike Lee (R). Lee.
AR: Blanche Lincoln (D) vs. John Boozman (R). Boozman.
CA: Barbara Boxer (D) vs. Carly Fiorina (R). Boxer.
CO: Michael Bennett (D) vs. Ken Buck (R). Bennett.
HI: Daniel Inouye (D) vs. Cam Cavasso (R). Inouye.
MD: Barbara Mikulski (D) vs. Eric Wargotz (R). Mikulski.
NV: Harry Reid (D) vs. Sharron Angle (R). Reid.
NY special: Kirsten Gillibrand (D) vs. Joseph DioGuardi (R). Gillibrand.
NY: Charles Schumer (D) vs. Jay Townsend (R). Schumer.
OR: Ron Wyden (D) vs. Jim Huffman (R). Wyden.
VT: Patrick Leahy (D) vs. Len Britton (R). Leahy.
WA: Patty Murray (D) vs. Dino Rossi (R). Murray.
WI: Russ Feingold (D) vs. Ron Johnson (R). Johnson.
AL: William G. Barnes (D) vs. Richard Shelby (R). Shelby.
AZ: Rodney Glassman (D) vs. John McCain (R). McCain.
GA: Mike Thurmond (D) vs. Johnny Isakson (R). Isakson.
ID: Tom Sullivan (D) vs. Mike Crapo (R). Crapo.
IA: Roxanne Conlin (D) vs. Chuck Grassley (R). Grassley.
LA: Charlie Melancon (D) vs. David Vitter (R). Vitter.
NC: Elaine Marshall (D) vs. Richard Burr (R). Burr.
OK: Jim Rogers (D) vs. Tom Coburn (R). Coburn.
SC: Alvin Greene (D) vs. Jim DeMint (R). DeMint.
SD: John Thune (R), unopposed apparently. Thune.

So, do I get a prize if I get them all right?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I believe that the Dems will hold the Senate but there are some tight races out there.

One should never count their chickens before they hatch but all polls are pointing towards a GOP sweep of the House.

IMO the best scenarios for Obama is to either hold onto both Houses (naturally) or lose them both. By losing them both he can (and will) simply blame the GOP for stonewalling his plans. If he only loses one side of the house that means the Dems hold the Executive Office, the Senate and the GOP owns the House so technically they are still in charge.

Regardless they'll blame the GOP for their failures and visa versa.

It is AMAZING how quickly the Democrat surge was rolled back.

geiseric

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2010
I think the Democrats did it to themselves. I haven't followed it that closely but it seems like there wasn't many Whitehouse initiatives that didn't get snarled up by a handful of their own grandstanding by going rogue.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Unless Barney the pimp Frank and Barbara the Boxer (with apologies to noble canines) are turfed out, no Republican win can be considered full and complete.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I believe that the Dems will hold the Senate but there are some tight races out there.

One should never count their chickens before they hatch but all polls are pointing towards a GOP sweep of the House.

IMO the best scenarios for Obama is to either hold onto both Houses (naturally) or lose them both. By losing them both he can (and will) simply blame the GOP for stonewalling his plans. If he only loses one side of the house that means the Dems hold the Executive Office, the Senate and the GOP owns the House so technically they are still in charge.

Regardless they'll blame the GOP for their failures and visa versa.

It is AMAZING how quickly the Democrat surge was rolled back.

It's all cyclical, don't the Republicans do the same thing when the roles are reversed? Both the Republicans & Democrats are equally capable when it comes to lying, squandering money, false promises... in other words, being politicians.

What percentage of US voters are undecided or independant heading into elections?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think the Democrats did it to themselves. I haven't followed it that closely but it seems like there wasn't many Whitehouse initiatives that didn't get snarled up by a handful of their own grandstanding by going rogue.

They absolutely did it to themselves. I said back in 2006 after the Dems swept (rightfully so IMO) both Houses that the "dog caught the bus" and now it has to figure out what to do with it. They firmed up their hold in 2008 and gloated and rammed unpopular legislation down our throats. Now apparently, IF all the predictions are correct, they will have to answer to it.The GOP was on life support and there was not a thing they could do but sit on their hands and hope for the Dems to screw up.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Of course they do, I think the Democrats did a fantastic job getting President Obama and a Democratic majority elected in the matter they did. Big thing is that even with a overwhelming majority they had problems getting anything passed.

To quote Israel 'Never again" This past two years made me nervous.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's all cyclical, don't the Republicans do the same thing when the roles are reversed? Both the Republicans & Democrats are equally capable when it comes to lying, squandering money, false promises... in other words, being politicians.

What percentage of US voters are undecided or independant heading into elections?

Of course. You are 100% correct. One day the Dems will take back the House if they lose it on Tuesday.

In my last post I said that the GOP lost Congress "rightfully so". They deserved to lose Congress back in 2006 and deserved to lose the Executive Office in 2008. They did nothing but make a mess of things.

I don't know the % but in just about every state they are leaning towards the GOP.

Except my state... Massachusetts! lol. Nope... we'll send Frank and Co. back to hold the liberal line.

geiseric

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2010
They absolutely did it to themselves. I said back in 2006 after the Dems swept (rightfully so IMO) both Houses that the "dog caught the bus" and now it has to figure out what to do with it. They firmed up their hold in 2008 and gloated and rammed unpopular legislation down our throats. Now apparently, IF all the predictions are correct, they will have to answer to it.The GOP was on life support and there was not a thing they could do but sit on their hands and hope for the Dems to screw up.

I can see that happening. Bills stuffed with pet projects so deep there's no making out the original intent for all the attachments. That's one thing I can say about Harper. He knows how to push the envelope.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Eaglesmack, there is always hope. Who would've thought that "Ted Kennedy's Seat" would ever go to a Republican?

So, there may be a Massachusetts awakening and citizens of MA will be turfing the Barney pimp Franks.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Eaglesmack, there is always hope. Who would've thought that "Ted Kennedy's Seat" would ever go to a Republican?

So, there may be a Massachusetts awakening and citizens of MA will be turfing the Barney pimp Franks.

The Dems losing the Senate seat in Mass was an anomoly. It was a strong, center GOP candidate against and arrogant ultra liberal Dem who took a vacation after the Dem primaries. One who felt the Senate seat was won when she got the Democrat ticket.

But all the polls here in Massachusetts are leaning towards the Democrats as usual.