Air Force One

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
This is a question posed mostly to our American friends:

Should the plane equipped with all the gadgets and conveniences to keep the President informed and up-to-date (all paid for by taxpayers' money) be used for trips by the President to fly all over the United States to campaign for those of the party of the President who seek election/re-election?

What if the Presidential support is for candidates that you don't support?

What do Canadians think?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
As wasteful as it seems. as the president he cannot go anywhere without the protection with the equipment and services provided by the secret service.

It's just the way it is and it's nothing new.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Don't gives a hoot but the more important question is why doesn't Canada's Prime Minister have an Air Force One?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Avro, if I were an American I would have no problem to give the President all the protection and ability to communicate as he/she needs.

But if I were a Republican American, I would have issues with the President using my money to fly to places to raise funds for a Democrat, at my expense.

Liberalman, since Canada does not have an air force, it is highly unlikely that the Canadian Prime Minister would have an Air Force One.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Avro, if I were an American I would have no problem to give the President all the protection and ability to communicate as he/she needs.

But if I were a Republican American, I would have issues with the President using my money to fly to places to raise funds for a Democrat, at my expense.

Liberalman, since Canada does not have an air force, it is highly unlikely that the Canadian Prime Minister would have an Air Force One.

That's just like saying I don't want to pay tax for education because I don't have kids.

It's dumb.

He's the president, how would you have him travel?

Unless you want to ban all sitting presidents from campaigning for other members of his party it's not going to change.

Canada doesn't have a air force?

News to me....nice way to respect those that fly for Canada.:roll:

Don't gives a hoot but the more important question is why doesn't Canada's Prime Minister have an Air Force One?

What the hell do you think our PM flies on...Air Canada?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Avro, let him travel on Air Force One at the Nation's business.

But, like I said, If I were a Republican American, it would rankle me to see my money wasted on his trip to raise money for a candidate that I would not support.

And to be fair, I would not want him to waste money, similarly, to campaign for my favourite candidate if I were a Democratic American.

And Avro, whatever plane the Prime Minister uses to travel, it is not Air Force One, Canadian version.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Avro, let him travel on Air Force One at the Nation's business.

But, like I said, If I were a Republican American, it would rankle me to see my money wasted on his trip to raise money for a candidate that I would not support.

And to be fair, I would not want him to waste money, similarly, to campaign for my favourite candidate.

So he should stay home then?

He can't leave without protection, so the only solution is to stay home.

What about the presidential campaign in 2012?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Present arrangements
All Canadian Forces aircraft are operated by the Air Command; currently 437 Transport Squadron and 412 Transport Squadron provide executive transport. Attendants on flights operated by these squadrons are volunteers from various sectors of the Canadian Forces and serve in their posting for two or three years, after having undergone an intensive training period and additional security background checks.
[edit] 437 Transport Squadron

The 437 Transport Squadron, based at CFB Trenton,[7] operates five Airbus A310-300s, all designated as CC-150 Polaris; four are configured as normal airliners with cargo transport and aerial refuelling capability, while one, No. 001, is operated in a VIP configuration.[8] This latter aircraft, referred to as the Royal Flight when carrying the Queen or another member of the Royal Family,[8][9][10] has a spartan bedroom, sitting room, office space, and a shower approximately the size of a small phone booth. The executive suite includes a satellite telephone, two computer work stations, and a small refrigerator, and at the rear portion of the aircraft is a normal passenger cabin, used to carry regular military passengers, members of the VIP party, or reporters. As Captain Yvan Veillette, the squadron's information officer, stated of the interior: "It's no more luxurious than a good motor home."[8]
[edit] 412 Transport Squadron

412 Transport Squadron, based at Macdonald-Cartier International Airport (formerly CFB Ottawa, and previously at CFB Uplands), is the only AIRCOM unit dedicated exclusively to executive transport and currently operates Canada's four CC-144-designated Bombardier Challenger 604 business jets in a VIP configuration.

=============================================================================================
By the way, technically the term 'Air Force One' refers to any aircraft in which the President is flying; it does not refer to a specific plane.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Well, yes!

If a candidate for any office needs the support and fundraising of the President he/she does not deserve to be in the race at all.

Begging for or accepting Presidential support is acceptance of inborn incompetance.

"What about the presidential campaign in 2012?"

All the other Presidential candidates will travel at their own expense.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I guess your point is that any sitting President should not be part of any campaign whatsoever?

By the way, any helicopter carrying the President is officially designated as Marine One.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well, yes!

If a candidate for any office needs the support and fundraising of the President he/she does not deserve to be in the race at all.

Begging for or accepting Presidential support is acceptance of inborn incompetance.

Gee YJ....I don't remember you complaining about this when it was bushy junior in office.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Well, yes!

I didn't ask about the candidate, I asked if the president should stay home.

Are you suggesting that the president must pay for Air Force One himself during a campaign?

Honestly, given the nature of media and social media I think it would be prudent to ban travel for all candidates during a campaign. It would trigger a more grassroots sort of politics as opposed to the corporate lobby that happens now. Take the big money out and bring back the voice of the little guy.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well, gerryh, I guess the topic never came up.

And for punks like you, it is former President George W. Bush.

Gee... amazing that eh......... topic never came up with a republican president.... but it has come up with a democratic president..... or is it because he's black........ or maybe his muslim "connection"? What do ya wanna hang your hat on YJ?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
like I said YJ... you had no problem with bushy junior using presidential transport during his re-election, and I am sure you wouldn't have a problem with it again when the republicans have the White House. Your problem isn't with how or what's being used, your problem is with who is using it.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
like I said YJ... you had no problem with bushy junior using presidential transport during his re-election, and I am sure you wouldn't have a problem with it again when the republicans have the White House. Your problem isn't with how or what's being used, your problem is with who is using it.

I don't recall YJ even being here when Bush was president and I didn't here him endorse Bush on the matter in this thread either.

Perhaps you can show us where he did that.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't recall YJ even being here when Bush was president and I didn't here him endorse Bush on the matter in this thread either.

Perhaps you can show us where he did that.

This is ALL about partison politics for YJ, and nothing more.