Republican defends unammended US constitution, slavery too?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So, Michael Steel slams Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan, because she praised the jurisprudence of Thurgood Marshall. Steele apparently took offense with Marshall's claim that the original Constitution, as written, is now clearly flawed.

The unamended Constitution held that a slave was only 3/5ths of a white man. Hey isn't that similar to another type of constitutional law, where a women accused of rape needs twice as many witnesses as the man she accuses of raping her?

Retard. That's what Steele wants to do, paradoxically.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If it was perfect from the beginning, why has it been ammended 27 times?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Is it just a coincidence that retard and republican both start with an "R"? :icon_smile:"

Not any more than liberal and liar starting with an 'L'.
Or democrat and dumb starting with a 'D'.
Or atheist and asinine starting with an 'A'.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Well folks (my opinion only but.... )

I understand it is difficult getting legislation read and passed at the Supreme Court level because nobody can keep all the members awake at the same time.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
So, Michael Steel slams Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan, because she praised the jurisprudence of Thurgood Marshall. Steele apparently took offense with Marshall's claim that the original Constitution, as written, is now clearly flawed.

The unamended Constitution held that a slave was only 3/5ths of a white man. Hey isn't that similar to another type of constitutional law, where a women accused of rape needs twice as many witnesses as the man she accuses of raping her?

Retard. That's what Steele wants to do, paradoxically.

I have said this many times before, the US Constitution, as it was originally proposed, was deeply flawed. Even the much touted Bill of Rights is an inferior document; our Charter of Rights does a much better job of guarding human rights.

US Constitution and the Bill of Rights is simply the best that could be done in those days. But things have moved on considerably since then and it has been necessary to amend the Constitution many times.

Thus Bill of Rights permitted the states to legalize slavery, it kept slavery legal. Bill of Rights also permitted states to deny vote to women, they needed a constitutional amendment to rectify that.

So yes, both US Constitution and Bill of rights are flawed documents. Our Charter of Rights is better, not because it was written by wiser men, but because it was written in recent times, so it incorporated all the constitutional amendments that were necessary to the US Constitution. As time goes on, no doubt the flaws in the Charter will be exposed.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well folks (my opinion only but.... )

I understand it is difficult getting legislation read and passed at the Supreme Court level because nobody can keep all the members awake at the same time.

If i recall it also has to be passed by a certain number of States for the amendment to take effect - There is no legal time limit once the amendment has been passed thru the house and senate - It could be done quickly by states or could take 40 years - i recall one amendment took quite some time before reaching the required number of states. Cannot recall what is was though.

I have said this many times before, the US Constitution, as it was originally proposed, was deeply flawed. Even the much touted Bill of Rights is an inferior document; our Charter of Rights does a much better job of guarding human rights.

US Constitution and the Bill of Rights is simply the best that could be done in those days. But things have moved on considerably since then and it has been necessary to amend the Constitution many times.

Thus Bill of Rights permitted the states to legalize slavery, it kept slavery legal. Bill of Rights also permitted states to deny vote to women, they needed a constitutional amendment to rectify that.

So yes, both US Constitution and Bill of rights are flawed documents. Our Charter of Rights is better, not because it was written by wiser men, but because it was written in recent times, so it incorporated all the constitutional amendments that were necessary to the US Constitution. As time goes on, no doubt the flaws in the Charter will be exposed.

U.S. Constitution - Amendment 13 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
Abolished slavery

Ratification of Constitutional Amendments - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Yes, so Thurgood Marshall was right, the original Constitution was flawed. It took an amendment to fix the slavery part.

But RNC Chairman Steele takes issue with that charge. I don't think there is anything wrong with admitting that society has become more egalitarian with time.

A4NoOb

Nominee Member
Feb 27, 2009
Yes, so Thurgood Marshall was right, the original Constitution was flawed. It took an amendment to fix the slavery part.

But RNC Chairman Steele takes issue with that charge. I don't think there is anything wrong with admitting that society has become more egalitarian with time.

The Constitution was not flawed. Obviously the Founding Fathers could not account for ethical issues which could span past their life time. That is why they allowed for the Constitution to be amended, albeit very difficultly.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I agree - Just brought something forward that shows it has been repealed - Also we had slavery in Canada until it was outlawed by the UK-Great Britian.

An excellent movie to watch on the time it took in Parliament, the payoffs etc is called - Amazing Grace.

Also Steele is on his wa out - Last week he named Afghanistan as Obama's War - Right - Dunb Fuks are all over the place.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
If i recall it also has to be passed by a certain number of States for the amendment to take effect - There is no legal time limit once the amendment has been passed thru the house and senate - It could be done quickly by states or could take 40 years - i recall one amendment took quite some time before reaching the required number of states. Cannot recall what is was though.

Goober, I think the time limit is seven years. After Congress has passed the amendment by 2/3rd vote (the president has no say in the matter), it has to be ratified by 3/4th states within seven years. If it is not ratified withing seven years, it dies a natural death. Congress can give the amendment more time, by special legislation.

The Constitution was not flawed. Obviously the Founding Fathers could not account for ethical issues which could span past their life time. That is why they allowed for the Constitution to be amended, albeit very difficultly.

The constitution, as originally proposed, was flawed. The Bill of Rights consists of the first ten Amendments to the constitution. Bill of Rights permits slavery (and permits not letting women vote), so Bill of Rights was also flawed.