Obama - What is your opinion so far on his Presidency

Obama has been President since 20 Jan, 2009

He has faced many difficult decisions and policy changes / implementations

Afghanistan
Banking
Economy
Oil Spill
To name a few

What is your opinion so far - Has he done as promised take the partisanship out of Washington

What Policies has he succeeded at
What are his failures
What do you see him doing over the next 2 years or so.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Obama - What is your opinion so far on his Presidency

Obama has been President since 20 Jan, 2009

He has faced many difficult decisions and policy changes / implementations

Afghanistan
Banking
Economy
Oil Spill
To name a few

What is your opinion so far - Has he done as promised take the partisanship out of Washington

What Policies has he succeeded at
What are his failures
What do you see him doing over the next 2 years or so.

Too early to say for sure yet, but so far I'd give him a C+. I doubt if any of the things you've mentioned will be totally straightened out in one term. I'm not sure if his healthcare program will be an improvement. :smile:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Too early to say for sure yet, but so far I'd give him a C+. I doubt if any of the things you've mentioned will be totally straightened out in one term. I'm not sure if his healthcare program will be an improvement. :smile:

I think he handled the Oil Spill in a disasterous way - Tell the truth - it would take months - Turned down expert assistance from the netherlands that would have contained much of the damage -

Dutch have ships that could have filtered most of the oil while returning the water with a small content of oil back into the Gulf

Berms - Again Dutch expertise was offered and was brought over- but they would only allow US companies to build them - again a bad decision - They did not get built in time for many areas.

Blaming BP - which was correct but getting into a pissing match instead of laying out the truth was terrible Leadership.

All around on this I would give Obama an F-
Leadership - Planning - and getting it done - He failed on every count.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The thing that I see most in Obama's presidency is that he has forced into being almost totally reactive on most issues. The economy was in dire straits when he took over and he was forced to deal with it... and in large part he was bound into the stimulus spending strategy that Bush's administration had embarked on. Afghanistan and Iraq, he was similarly bound to what his predecessor had started until there were was an opportunity to change the strategy. The spill in the Gulf of Mexico is similarly something that was largely out of his hands: about all he could have done would have been to step up inspections and safety protocols on those projects but its also a case that most people outside the industry don't realize there's an issue until something catastrophic happens. The biggest accomplishment of the Obama administration, in my mind, was the health care reform and it was a starting point, not a complete solution, in large part because he had to weaken it to mollify members of his own party.

As far as things like getting rid of the partisanship in Washington, he's trying but thats not something he can do alone. Too many Dems and Republicans have too much to gain by keeping the electorate polarized and divided, even if it isn't the best thing for the country.

On the whole I'd give him a C so far, which is quite an improvement from Bush but he's got a long way to go.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think he handled the Oil Spill in a disasterous way - Tell the truth - it would take months - Turned down expert assistance from the netherlands that would have contained much of the damage -

Dutch have ships that could have filtered most of the oil while returning the water with a small content of oil back into the Gulf

Berms - Again Dutch expertise was offered and was brought over- but they would only allow US companies to build them - again a bad decision - They did not get built in time for many areas.

Blaming BP - which was correct but getting into a pissing match instead of laying out the truth was terrible Leadership.

All around on this I would give Obama an F-
Leadership - Planning - and getting it done - He failed on every count.

YOu know more about him that I do and I have no reason to disbelieve you, most of what I see on T.V. I like BUT that is only talk.....................:smile::smile:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I think there is a lot of expectation for him to radically change society and that expectation is a bit unfair considering it's only been about a year. He could have done more during the climate summit last year, but I think the health reform is a step in the right direction.

I'd probably give him a B- if I were to grade him right now, but I'm pretty optimistic that there is definitely a 'crowning achievement' that he will be known for by the end of this term if not the next.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think he has done quite well considering what he was given to start with. There were also a lot of unrealistic expectations that of course he could not possibly live up to. High C+ Would have been a B- if he had not let Broken Pipeline bull**** him into believing the leak was small and easily fixed.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Under the circumstances he has been good.

He's a pretty cool dude too. Lots of confidence and very good at clearly communicating some complicated issues.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Under the circumstances he has been good.

He's a pretty cool dude too. Lots of confidence and very good at clearly communicating some complicated issues.

Confidence Yes - Great speaker - yes - leadership - No on some issues.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
So far I haven't seen anything spectacular. So like I said, after all the hoopla while he was running for prez and the Nobel Prize for Promises, he's a yawner.