Hire Wal-Mart Executives

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Wal-Mart versus the Morons

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private Employer, and most speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the US A of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 Years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to fix the economy.

This should be read and understood by all Americans Democrats, Republicans, EVERYONE!!

To President Obama and all 535 voting members of the Legislature, It is now official you are A LL corrupt morons:

The U.S. Post Service was established in 1775.
You have had 234 years to get it right and it is BROKE.

Social Security was established in 1935.
You have had 74 years to get it right and it is BROKE.

Fannie Mae was established in 1938.
You have had 71 years to get it right and it is BROKE.

War on Poverty started in 1964.
You have had 45 years to get it right; 1$ trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to "the poor" and they only want more.

Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965.
You have had 44 years to get it right and they are BROKE.

Freddie Mac was established in 1970.
You have had 39 years to get it right and it is BROKE.

The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 billion a year and we import more oil than ever before.
You had 32 years to get it right and it is an abysmal FAILURE.

THE GOVERMENT HAS FAILED IN EVERY "GOVERNMENT SERVICE" THEY HAVE SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS WHILE OVERSPENDING OUR TAX DOLLARS.
AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE THEY CAN BE TRUSTED WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM??

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yes, private industry can be more efficient than government.

Your example falls short, however, based on the idea that everything anyone could ever want is available at WalMart. As we've seen on other threads, YJ is upset that a medical test he wants isn't covered through medicare; under the WalMart model, only the profitable items are sold. YJ might be upset when he discovered that not everything he wanted was available.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes, private industry can be more efficient than government.

Your example falls short, however, based on the idea that everything anyone could ever want is available at WalMart. As we've seen on other threads, YJ is upset that a medical test he wants isn't covered through medicare; under the WalMart model, only the profitable items are sold. YJ might be upset when he discovered that not everything he wanted was available.

YOu are right there TP- Gov't does have the disadvantage of having to pick up aspects of life that no one else wants, like caring for the mentally challenged, the asthetically challenged, the physically challenged, the conformity challenged (jailbirds) . Besides Old Sam Walton is dead. I think everything working well with Walmart today he probably had the procedure carved in stone so his successors couldn't screw it up.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
There is, of course, a paradox in your post. Yes, Walmart has been outstandingly successful, but what of the competitors it ruthlessly eliminated? If the market economy is so efficient why is it that there are any failures at all? You might just as easily have listed a string of private companies that had a chance to get it right, but failed. Since you did not I will list a few.

The US health insurance industry had almost 100 years to provide cheap and comprehensive health care coverage - it failed abysmally.

Large energy companies in the US had over 100 years to provide energy self sufficiency - another dismal failure.

The US financial system had two centuries to provide a sound financial structure and proper regulation of banks and the stock market - another failure.

The US auto industry had a hundred years to provide an effective cost efficient industry and almost folded in the face of foreign competition.

The US rail system was established in the first half of the 19th century and has yet to provide the sort of high speed system common in many other nations.

US airlines are continually on the brink of bankruptcy and have yet to provide cheap comfortable travel.

US agriculture routinely relies on giant subsidies from government in order to survive.

I could list many more failures of the private sector, but this short list is probably sufficient.

I will also not bother to list the many private companies that Walmart surpassed, in spite of the advantage all of them initially held. The point is that success in the market economy is usually not possible without the failure of many competitors. These failures are largely due to the fact that these private companies missed opportunities to head off their competition until it was too late.

You might also want to ask yourself this. Is the US any better of from having its retail sector dominated by a single large entity that routinely destroys all competition and uses cheap labour and monopolistic buying power to do it?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Your examples of companies 'failing' show companies that failed to do things that aren't the companies' mission.

Why would US railroads build high speed rail? Passenger rail in the US is a government operation.

The mission of a company is to make money for its shareholders. Not to achieve public policy goals.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Wal-Mart just shows how it should be done, yes they drove those other companies who couldn't adapt to changing business practices out. U.S. health industry is the best in the world, it was never intended to be cheap. Remember you get what you pay for. I still believe that at one time we all had the chance to work for a company or organization that offered health care as a benefit, but for some reason a few chose not to and now they complain.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
THE GOVERMENT HAS FAILED IN EVERY "GOVERNMENT SERVICE" THEY HAVE SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS WHILE OVERSPENDING OUR TAX DOLLARS.
AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE THEY CAN BE TRUSTED WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM??

You are right in that a private industry can do things better than the government. The exception is health care. Private industry is incapable of providing affordable health care to everybody, those who have chronic conditions, terminal condition, poor, children of the poor, elderly etc. Only government can do that.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
You are right in that a private industry can do things better than the government. The exception is health care. Private industry is incapable of providing affordable health care to everybody, those who have chronic conditions, terminal condition, poor, children of the poor, elderly etc. Only government can do that.

Your Almost right, children of the poor (till age 18), elderly do get affordable or free health care. I am still not sure that anything but minimal care (yearly checkups and treatment if something is found) should be given to those who do not pay into the system. By that I mean those who work off the books all their lives.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Your Almost right, children of the poor (till age 18), elderly do get affordable or free health care. I am still not sure that anything but minimal care (yearly checkups and treatment if something is found) should be given to those who do not pay into the system. By that I mean those who work off the books all their lives.

There is one main reason why private enterprise can't provide healthcare as effectively as gov't. Private outfits aren't allowed to tax people. :iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Your examples of companies 'failing' show companies that failed to do things that aren't the companies' mission.

Why would US railroads build high speed rail? Passenger rail in the US is a government operation.

The mission of a company is to make money for its shareholders. Not to achieve public policy goals.

Thank you for making the case for government involvement in the economy. That was entirely my point.