Arnie Wants to be President

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Movie star and current Governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger admitted on the Tonight Show that if he was legally able to do so he would definitely take a shot at the US presidency. The problem is, of course, that under the US constitution he is excluded due to the fact that he was not born in the US. Now, before anyone bombards me with Obama jokes how about if we first consider the fact that an amendment to the US constitution is long overdue? After all Canada's first six Prime Ministers (seven if you count Sir John. A twice) were all born outside the country.

Dessolution

Apr 30, 2010
So what has the terminator been up to since he took up office? I nearly forgot all about him.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Movie star and current Governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger admitted on the Tonight Show that if he was legally able to do so he would definitely take a shot at the US presidency. The problem is, of course, that under the US constitution he is excluded due to the fact that he was not born in the US. Now, before anyone bombards me with Obama jokes how about if we first consider the fact that an amendment to the US constitution is long overdue? After all Canada's first six Prime Ministers (seven if you count Sir John. A twice) were all born outside the country.

I agree with you. I know some of my American friends agree with you, but on the whole it is still a decision for the American people to make on their own, and Canadian experiences are largely if not completely irrelevant.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I think it is very unlikely that they will pass such an amendment. As to Schwarzenegger, he makes it even less likely that such an amendment will be passed. Democrats have no love for him, since he is a Republican. But he is that rare and almost extinct phenomena, a moderate Republican. So Republicans don't like him either.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
There is a gigantic inconsistency in logic in the United States.

One one hand, a person who was not born there, but no matter what he accomplished in life, can not be the President.

But, on the other hand, a child of an illegal (i.e. CRIMINAL) who was born there, can.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I don't think President Arnold would be a very good idea.

I say we amend the Constitution to allow non-US born people as soon as we get a legally binding pledge from Arnold that he won't run.

Last edited:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"I don't think President Arnold would be a very good idea"

Neither is a President Obama.

But my opinion is neither here nor there. I don't vote in the United States.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
There is a gigantic inconsistency in logic in the United States.

One one hand, a person who was not born there, but no matter what he accomplished in life, can not be the President.

But, on the other hand, a child of an illegal (i.e. CRIMINAL) who was born there, can.

He is eligible to run for president. That doesn't mean he will become a president. Personally, I don't think the child of an illegal has a snowball's chance in Hell of becoming the president.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Judging from the condition of Cali, I can't see him getting much support even if he could run and become president.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
President Obama is better than a hypothetical President Schwarzenegger.

You can almost use the scientific method to measure it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Arnode will make a fine President of The United States of America. Phew that's a mouthful. How do they do it? He's a big strong man and just naturally exudes power and competence. He can sell a lot of cheeseburgers.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Arnode will make a fine President of The United States of America. Phew that's a mouthful. How do they do it? He's a big strong man and just naturally exudes power and competence. He can sell a lot of cheeseburgers.

Actually I agree with you, he won't make a bad president at all. His presidency will be along the lines of Clinton presidency. But since he cannot fight an election, it is all hypothetical anyway.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Judging from the condition of Cali, I can't see him getting much support even if he could run and become president.

Conditions in California are just fine, the filthy masses have not risen up and burned the castles of the worthy. All is well in OZ. Arnodes running would be the reenactment of every filthy poor emigrants most cherished dream of comeing to America and rising to the top of the social structure just because it is America the land of realizable dreams where inspiration comes in fifty-five gallon drums. He will make the finest kind of candidate and his campaigne will be in the best tradition of the Academy, an Oscar winning event all the way to its foregone scripted conclusion. You're a kind of negative wet blanket on the dreams of the people there AnnaG.:lol::cool::lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Actually I agree with you, he won't make a bad president at all. His presidency will be along the lines of Clinton presidency. But since he cannot fight an election, it is all hypothetical anyway.

Listen pal, have we not already witnessed the certain incontestablerealization of the impossible in the election of Mr Obama. Do you still doubt the unseen but self evident power of the improbable? I can think of no organism whatever that would not be thrust into the offal office if it served the shepperds, perhaps even I could cast my fluttering lusty eyes at that hallowed precinct.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I agree with you. I know some of my American friends agree with you, but on the whole it is still a decision for the American people to make on their own, and Canadian experiences are largely if not completely irrelevant.

A perfection of the appearance of irrelevancy, a neafarious design long in fabrication and maintennance. Still they suspect nothing. Our time approaches.:smile:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

What's this??

SJP supporting Conan the Republican?????

For President??

:)

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

True. However, I sometimes like to poke a needle in the eye of Americans who constantly tout the USA as the most democratic nation on earth. It isn't, and this is just one more way of reminding them it isn't.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
It is a moot point for Canadians to argue about, since we do not vote in the United States.

As a theoretical discussion it would be a better topic to form an opinion which American law makes more sense: not allowing a foreign born citizen to run for the Presidency or limiting egotistical emperor-wanna-be's like FDR to run for more than two terms.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Why not have Arny? After all the US had a third rate actor that played second banana to a monkey in a kids show as pres. WHy not a short juice monkey?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
True. However, I sometimes like to poke a needle in the eye of Americans who constantly tout the USA as the most democratic nation on earth. It isn't, and this is just one more way of reminding them it isn't.

USA may very well be the most Democratic nation on earth (perhaps with the exception of Switzerland.

And that is not a good thing, that is a bad thing. What that means is that in USA, the majority decides what rights any minority may have, rather than the constitution. Constitution may guarantee certain rights, but at the state level a majority (through referendums) can ride roughshod over them. That is why they can ban gay marriage, by a majority vote. Majority decides which minority has the right to get married and which doesn’t.

Same with Switzerland. Switzerland if anything, is even more democratic than USA, almost everything is decided by referendums. Switzerland was the last democracy to give women the vote; I think it finally happened in 1971.

There can be such a thing as too much democracy. Excess of democracy means curtailment of civil rights, of minority rights.

So being the most Democratic country in the world is nothing to brag about. In my opinion, the ideal system is a democracy where minority rights are guaranteed in the constitution, so that the majority may not take them away. That is what we have in Canada.