President Obama Reveals Afghan Strategy

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
President Obama addressed an auditorium packed with cadets at West Point tonight in a speech that detailed the new US strategy in Afghanistan. In all actuality, he was addressing nations around the world such as Canada who have been waiting to see what direction the new President would take and the policies he plans to implement that will have a direct effect upon our own military decisions.

The US will be sending another 30,000 troops to Afghanistan, sometime in early 2010. Obama wants to start bringing troops home as early as July 2011, the same year that Canada’s UN commitment ends. He has drawn up a time-line because, as he said, an open-ended policy does not denote the sense of urgency needed at this time. An open-ended strategy would also “set goals that cannot be achieved beyond a reasonable cost.”

He took on critics who have called the Afghan War – Obama’s Viet Nam. Refuting this claim, he spoke of the basic differences between the two wars. Unlike the Viet Nam engagement, in Afghanistan the US is joined by UN sanctioned troops from nations all over the world. Also unlike Viet Nam where the US faced by a broad-based insurgency, in Afghanistan they are fighting small pockets of insurgents. Finally, the reason for the US being in Afghanistan in the first place and why the UN sanctioned the war, is that a group of insane murderous nutcase freaking TERRORISTS living/hiding in Afghanistan murdered thousands of innocent people in the US – Canadians among them, and then struck in Britain and Bali. I am glad there is a time-line and that it is much sooner that many were expecting.

In speaking of the new strategy, the President outlined measures such as the importance of training the Afghan citizens, the need to eradicate fraud from the current Afghan government with real policies in place to deal with the problem. He also talked of helping Afghans improve their agricultural practices.

The latter caught my attention since I believe the US could immediately help not only the Afghan people but also themselves simply by buying the heroin/opium from the growers, paying them a fair price and using the product to help ease the world-wide shortage of medicinal heroin/opium. In the process, they would deal a blow to the Taliban who now buy the opium, sell it on the black market, and use the money to buy arms. This idea is not my own. It has been floating around for a few years now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6287975.stm
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article2288585.ece

Instead of adopting this policy, the US appears to have other thoughts as is evident the headline below.
US May Pay Afghan Farmers To Stop Growing Heroin Poppies
Anne Gearan 07/21/09

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/21/us-may-pay-afghan-farmers_n_242448.html

I consider this a backward policy for a couple of reasons. Just giving people money never solves anything – it is no different from setting up a Welfare state. Another reason is that Afghan farmers make far more profit from growing poppies than they do from other agricultural crops, so why would they even bother.

A wise old friend taught me the acronym KISS, a long time ago and it is so true. KISS, for those who don’t know, stands for Keep It Simple Stupid. In other words, sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution. Buy the opium/heroin. Bolster the quantity of medicinal heroin/opium. The Taliban no longer has a ready source of cash. The Afghan growers are happy. The pressure on UN troops eases, a lot.

Then, what do I know.

The President also addressed the issue of the US debt and the need to reign in military spending. He mentioned that the Iraq war cost around a Trillion dollars, and that next year alone military spending will cost about 30 billion. I remember reading in the NY Times that is costs around 1 million dollars a year for each soldier in Afghanistan. He discussed the need to cut down military spending, as the money could be used to strengthen the US economy.

President Obama was sombre, almost melancholy during his remarks and once again expressed his belief in the basic decency of Americans and the need for the nation to come together.

It was a very low-key speech, not his usual rousing oratory at all. Several times, he addressed the watching TV audience directly, staring straight into the camera. After speaking for approximately 30 minutes, Obama spent some time shaking hands with Cadets.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They say there's "safety in numbers". I say he's right to get as many troops as needed in there right away to finish off the Tallyban and end this thing once and for all.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
They say there's "safety in numbers". I say he's right to get as many troops as needed in there right away to finish off the Tallyban and end this thing once and for all.

I agree, JLM. This war has to end as soon as possible.

During his speech, Obama spoke of the fact that by initiating the Iraq war, troops, money, equipment, and diplomacy measures took a back seat in Afghanistan. Due to this lack of attention, the taliban were able to regain ground previously lost to them. They made inroads in provinces where troop deployment was at very low levels.

He also said that leaving the number of troops at the current level would only maintain the status quo and therefore prolong the war.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
It's a very tricky situation and I'm no armchair expert on how to win a war. But, I wonder if Hitler would have done anything differently if FDR & Churchill had announced a date when they would bring their troops home before they actually ended World War II in Europe?

On the other hand, one of the definitions of an "objective" is to "state the results you want to achieve, by when, and make sure those results are measurable." I think he might have done something like that last night.

If it wasn't for the reality of politics, he likely wouldn't have had to divulge the plan to the enemy on television (i.e., tell them exactly what he has in mind so the bad guys can begin to gear up to fight it) but of course, that would be political suicide. The public demands to know, and if I had a son or daughter about to go into that war, I'm sure I would feel - very strongly - the same way.

I do have a couple of simple observations - 1. War is a tragic thing, and 2. The President of the U.S.A. has one very damned difficult job and I have a huge amount of respect for that. In fact, it might just be the toughest job in the whole world.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Obama and Bush it seems are one in the same. So, Obama gets a peace prize, then sends in more troops?

WTF!

This is now his Vietman, out by 2012 which is an election year....good luck.

LBJ just turned over in his grave.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Obama and Bush it seems are one in the same. So, Obama gets a peace prize, then sends in more troops?

WTF!

First of all, I agree 100%....giving Obama the Peace Prize was an exercise in stupidity.......

Otherwise, you are soooo wrong... :)

By 1968, there were 569,000 US troops in Vietnam........think about that.......and they were aided there only by South Korea and Australia.

Now, and most importantly, provide us with an alternative.......criticism is easy, formulating effective policy is something else.... (as Obama is now learning!!!!)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The only issue I had with Obama is giving a timeline to the Afghan Mission. That just told the Taliban they had to holdout until 2011. Otherwise I think he is doing the right thing there so far.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The only issue I had with Obama is giving a timeline to the Afghan Mission. That just told the Taliban they had to holdout until 2011. Otherwise I think he is doing the right thing there so far.

100%....

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to hand out the game plan to they one intends to beat. Obama may have served the troops better by just shutting up....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Time was/is a big ally for the Taliban. Now the President told the Taliban how long they have to hold out. Not very bright but not irreperable.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Maybe he's also got us to think he's pulling out in 2011.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
100%....

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to hand out the game plan to they one intends to beat. Obama may have served the troops better by just shutting up....

To answer your comments, Eaglesmack and lone wolf, I will quote from Obama's speech.

"Finally, there are those who oppose identifying a time frame for our transition to Afghan responsibility. Indeed, some call for a more dramatic and open-ended escalation of our war effort -- one that would commit us to a nation-building project of up to a decade. I reject this course because it sets goals that are beyond what can be achieved at a reasonable cost, and what we need to achieve to secure our interests. Furthermore, the absence of a time frame for transition would deny us any sense of urgency in working with the Afghan government. It must be clear that Afghans will have to take responsibility for their security, and that America has no interest in fighting an endless war in Afghanistan.

As President, I refuse to set goals that go beyond our responsibility, our means, or our interests. And I must weigh all of the challenges that our nation faces. I don't have the luxury of committing to just one. Indeed, I'm mindful of the words of President Eisenhower, who -- in discussing our national security -- said, "Each proposal must be weighed in the light of a broader consideration: the need to maintain balance in and among national programs."

Full transcript available at:

Full Transcript: President Obama's Speech on Afghanistan Delivered at West Point - ABC News

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
To answer your comments, Eaglesmack and lone wolf, I will quote from Obama's speech.

"Finally, there are those who oppose identifying a time frame for our transition to Afghan responsibility. Indeed, some call for a more dramatic and open-ended escalation of our war effort -- one that would commit us to a nation-building project of up to a decade. I reject this course because it sets goals that are beyond what can be achieved at a reasonable cost, and what we need to achieve to secure our interests. Furthermore, the absence of a time frame for transition would deny us any sense of urgency in working with the Afghan government. It must be clear that Afghans will have to take responsibility for their security, and that America has no interest in fighting an endless war in Afghanistan.

As President, I refuse to set goals that go beyond our responsibility, our means, or our interests. And I must weigh all of the challenges that our nation faces. I don't have the luxury of committing to just one. Indeed, I'm mindful of the words of President Eisenhower, who -- in discussing our national security -- said, "Each proposal must be weighed in the light of a broader consideration: the need to maintain balance in and among national programs."

Full transcript available at:

Full Transcript: President Obama's Speech on Afghanistan Delivered at West Point - ABC News

Setting a time frame to "end it all" is not really a bad thing...as I said before, it falls under the true definition of an objective. The only thing I wonder about is telling the enemy how long you're going to be around, as they can certainly make their plans to hold on until that date, wait for the US and others to leave, and then simply take over. Yeah I know, politics doesn't work that way, which makes it an imperfect way to run things. But what's the alternative?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Personally, I think the Pres it really between the proverbial rock and a hard place with this. He has stated many times that he does not want to stay in Afghanistan any longer than it takes to get rid of bin Laden. At the same time, he is faced with some Repubs who, for various reasons, will oppose anything he decides to do.
Your points are well made but one of his main objectives is to equip and train the Afghans so they can take over security of their country with an open-ended policy, that objective go easily go on for who knows how long.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Personally, I think the Pres it really between the proverbial rock and a hard place with this. He has stated many times that he does not want to stay in Afghanistan any longer than it takes to get rid of bin Laden. At the same time, he is faced with some Repubs who, for various reasons, will oppose anything he decides to do.
Your points are well made but one of his main objectives is to equip and train the Afghans so they can take over security of their country with an open-ended policy, that objective go easily go on for who knows how long.

Yes, I understand all that but I just hope that he and his best advisors are aware that they are in fact taking on a culture change here, among other things. In order to train Afghans to take over their own security (sucessfully), they are taking on an immense challenge. It won't be simply a matter of saying, "First you do this, then you that, and so on."

To make it really stick, they would have to back up a few steps and take the time to figure out how to really get the message(s) across. It's a hell of a difficult job, to say the very least. And, the Americans - as great as they are in so many ways - are not known to be the most culturally-sensitive folks in the world.

I take my hat off to Obama for taking the step in that direction, but I have a feeling that they are venturing into a challenge they might not be able to meet, in a lasting and effective way. I hope I'm wrong.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
On top of all that he is hoping to change the 'culture' of fraud in the government. Don't know which will be harder for the US, but I sincerely hope they get it right this time.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
On top of all that he is hoping to change the 'culture' of fraud in the government. Don't know which will be harder for the US, but I sincerely hope they get it right this time.

Yep, you're right. Although past U.S. Presidents have done lots of things I don't agree with, I always hesitate to criticize without giving it some thought. After all, I still believe it is the TOUGHEST JOB ON EARTH and there is no way I could any better than any of them have done in the past. Well, except perhaps for Jimmy Carter. Just kidding.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

WTF!

You bring up an interesting topic. When Obama received his peace prize the right said he would not make such a decision due to the influence of the prize. He's proving that wrong.

He's also following through on an election promise. That is, deal with the terrorists in Afghanistan. This decision should not come as a surprise to anyone, including those who turn over in graves.