On Afghan War’s Anniversary, US Troop Morale Plummeting

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
By Jason Ditz

It was eight years ago today that the United States began its invasion of Afghanistan. At the time titled “Operation Infinite Justice,” the war, later rebranded as “Operation Enduring Freedom” has certainly been enduring, and many fear it will end up infinite.

But after eight full years of occupation, the exit strategy remains as elusive as ever, and chaplains are cautioning that the troops on the ground, 68,000 strong, are growing increasingly disillusioned with risking their lives in what is seen to be a futile and endless war.

Death tolls are forever on the rise: 10 American soldiers were killed only last weekend. The Afghan elections, which were supposed to be a stabilizing factor, have been an unmitigated disaster. Officials have ruled out setting any sort of timeline for ending the fight.

Soldiers in Afghanistan have little reason for optimism, and the only solution officials seem to have is to send even more troops. Ostensibly designed to offer some relief to overwhelmed forces, the escalation is likely to be a recipe for more rotations into the combat zones, particularly with the US still maintaining a massive presence in Iraq.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Wouldn't you be down hearted too if you found out the troops have been there for eight years and had many good military personnel from many nations killed or maimed and now find out there isn't a strategy? I thought the goal was to go in, get the Taliban out, capture OBL and then go home. So far none of that has been accomplished. They could at least go home and get one out of three goals accom-plished.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
I also thought the idea was to kick the talibans ass,get Ben laden and then get the hell out,what we are doing there now? other than spending a lot of money and losing a lot of good young people i have no idea.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
At least bring our Canadian troops home if the Americans want to stay there for whatever reason knock yourself out eh!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I thought the Canadian Forces where running out of gear, and have been
resupplying themselves from equipment meant for training in Canada
being shipped over to Afghanistan. :-?

I could be wrong, but I understood that, if we didn't pull out and resupply
in the next year or so....well...our Forces would be fighting the Taliban with
Hockey Sticks in their Skivvies. 8O

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Bring the troops home.

Like it or not the Taliban were the majority in Afghanistan prior to the invasion. It's time for a ceasefire and negotiations in order to get a settlement.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The Taliban were the largest militant minority in Afghanistan. Muslim majority were very much against the Taliban, especially the educated.

Imposing an artificial exit deadline is a certain prescription for defeat, since adversaries will simply await till the deadline passes. (The advocacy of such deadlines is a transparent tactic advocated by those who seek the failure of U.S. military efforts at all costs.)

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Canada has been in Afghanistan for 8 years. I doubt the Taliban will be defeated within the next 8 years.

Our commitment is up in 2011. Then it will be someone else's turn to do the heavy lifting.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
...the heavy lifting, consisting of loading 500 lb bombs on US aircraft to drop over there, as well as carry our dead back home in their solid oak coffins?

Is this all we have to show for our efforts??

Canada has been in Afghanistan for 8 years. I doubt the Taliban will be defeated within the next 8 years.

Our commitment is up in 2011. Then it will be someone else's turn to do the heavy lifting.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I saw defence minister McKay on TV and he sounded so optimistic and naive, talking how he was bringing progress to Afghan in a Q and A session. Some countries have no solutions. This was is now 80% of the length of World War l and ll, with no end in sight. The world, as in Asia specifically, is a dreadful place and we can do nothing to solve intense internal problems. We got no dog in this fight. We should be spending this money on beefing up Arctic patrols.