US Kills Five Afghan Cucumber Farmers in Air Strike

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Posted By Jason Ditz On August 6, 2009 @ 3:40 pm

A US military helicopter launched an overnight attack on a group of what it believed were “militants loading munitions into a van,” killing five of them. According to police in the rural district of the Kandahar Province, they weren’t militants, and those weren’t munitions.
Cucumbers are a fruit, not a munition

Instead, the Apache helicopter launched its attack on a group of farmers who were loading cucumbers they had grown into a van to be sent to a nearby bazaar.
Despite police confirming the van it hit was full of cucumbers, NATO maintained that those it killed were militants. The attack is the second disputed incident of civilian killings in Kandahar Province in as many days.

The previous night, another helicopter launched an attack on a family’s compound, killing four people, three of them children. The family insists the four were sleeping at the time of the attack, NATO insists they were carrying “plastic jugs” and that it assumes they were planting roadside bombs. NATO maintains the four were “insurgents” despite the young age of three of them.

The pair of incidents come as the new NATO chief is visiting the nation, and just a week after a UN report cautioned that the escalation of war in Afghanistan is taking a rising toll on the civilian population of the country. With the US trying to convince farmers to switch crops to stem the rising opium exports from the nation, the fact that they can’t distinguish between cucumber and small arms is doubtless to make some farmers think twice.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
After the attacks on 9/11 when we all joined the so-called "War on Terror", this sort of thing was happening all the time. I don't know how many wedding parties were bombed because the celebrants liked to fire their guns in the air and the U.S. aircraft, thinking it was militant groundfire, would either bomb or strafe the people on the ground. This simply proves that the war in Afghanistan has made no progress what so ever. The U.S. still have no people on the ground in Afghanistan to gather intelligence and help prevent this sort of stupid cock-up.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Those terrorists armed with cucumbers sure kill a lot of people.
"Shoot first, verify target later". BANG! "Oooops. Sorry, lady. We thought your farmer husband was a Taliban".
Military people are unreal sometimes.
Canadian troops are not much better either, if they are at all.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
A one in three accurate target rate? Personally I hold our forces to a higher standard than that.

It seemed accurate to me. Perhaps their husband should not have been conducting himself in the manner in which he was. It's all fun and games until you end up on the wrong end of the blast.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It seemed accurate to me. Perhaps their husband should not have been conducting himself in the manner in which he was. It's all fun and games until you end up on the wrong end of the blast.

Eagle, I think you misunderstand.

Two examples in here are to completely inaccurate targets. add your one correct target, and you get a one in three accuracy rate. Is that acceptable? Is that something that should make our armed forces proud of their job?

"Well, we bombed cucumber farmers, and sleeping children, but eventually we got one right"

Throwing one example of 'we got our man' in to the midst of such idiocy as bombing cucumber farmers... it's a weak show from you imo.

"we get it right eventually"

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Why not during the August 20 Afghan elections, ask the Afghanis if they want foreign forces to stay? If they don't, bring our Canadian forces home!

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
The majority of US troops are spineless, yellow-bellied cowards (hi eaglesnack:smile:)that would **** themselves if confronted face to face with the `enemy`.

To compensate for their lack of courage, as well as get their jollies, they`ve resorted from day one, to shoot blindly from a distance at anything that moves..camels, men, women and children, even allies with enough courage to actually be on the ground..(this they call "friendly fire"), ANything that moves on radar and night-vision screens. If it don`t carry an American flag it`s deemed `the enemy`....a `tarrist`.

Perhaps it gives them some sense of reason for actually being there in the first place...to kill?

9/11 is basically old news today to most people in the world even though it`s dragged up in the American media every time it`s convenient to explain away another atrocity committed by Americans.

Yellow-bellied cowards surely deserving of another kick in the nuts.

Those terrorists armed with cucumbers sure kill a lot of people.
"Shoot first, verify target later". BANG! "Oooops. Sorry, lady. We thought your farmer husband was a Taliban".
Military people are unreal sometimes.
Canadian troops are not much better either, if they are at all.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
(Another bureaucrat from the Department of Redundancy Department)
I guess we can add Canadian troops to the list of spineless, yellow-bellied, cowards, too.

Stopwar.ca: Civilians killed in Kandahar

AFGHANISTAN: Canadian troops accidentally kill Afghan girl « War Victims Monitor

Canadian soldiers kill two Afghan children | asia-pacific-action.org

Just in the last two weeks, how many Canadians have been killed or wounded by suicide bombers or roadside bombs? I'm always sorry when children are killed or injured but I don't want to see any more Canadians killed by these stupid bombs.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Just in the last two weeks, how many Canadians have been killed or wounded by suicide bombers or roadside bombs? I'm always sorry when children are killed or injured but I don't want to see any more Canadians killed by these stupid bombs.
I haven't counted. Too many, anyway. But those weren't the faults of cucumber farmers and children. Those IDEs or whatever they are called were likely planted by Taliban or insurgents.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

The soldiers accept that risk and choose to go there...those kids, those civilians, didn't choose to sign up to be there. Comparing and weighing out the two should NEVER occur.

Reactions: AnnaG

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
All three examples you gave indicate they were `in danger` by approaching vehicles. I`ll say it again...get our people out of there. Stop kissing American ass.
We have no reason to be over there.
American troops, on the other hand, get their jollies (and a sense of courage they lack) by shooting/bombing what ever moves on the ground, from the air..be it manned (lol..ok not an accurate term for the cowards) or, un-occupied drones, more their preferred way of killing.

Sick, yellow-bellied fuks they be.

(Another bureaucrat from the Department of Redundancy Department)
I guess we can add Canadian troops to the list of spineless, yellow-bellied, cowards, too.

Stopwar.ca: Civilians killed in Kandahar

AFGHANISTAN: Canadian troops accidentally kill Afghan girl « War Victims Monitor

Canadian soldiers kill two Afghan children | asia-pacific-action.org

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
I`m not accusing you, AnnaG, of kissing American ass. It`s our current gutless PM and Canadian military friends and famlies that have shades of brown on their noses while their sons and daughters in uniform are needlesly killing and getting killed for it.

Yet we Canadians go about our daily lives while dutifully putting an indifferent, blind eye to our gov`s involvement in this farce then, cry crocodile tears when one or two of the poor buggers are paraded back here on slates, bag-pipes a blaring. For most, it being an inconvenience and reminder of what fools we`ve become.

There..stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Did the aliens forget to remove your anal probe, Mr. Beee? I'm not kissing anyone's behind. I am pointing out that Canadians are hypocritical if they blame Americans or anyone else for killing civilians. Grow up.

Canadian soldier charged in death of Afghan civilian_English_Xinhua

They can't even keep from shooting themselves.

Sobs heard as soldier found guilty on two counts in Afghanistan shooting trial - Yahoo! Canada News

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I`m not accusing you, AnnaG, of kissing American ass. It`s our current gutless PM and Canadian military friends and famlies that have shades of brown on their noses while their sons and daughters in uniform are needlesly killing and getting killed for it.
Oh. It didn't read like that.

Yet we Canadians go about our daily lives while dutifully putting an indifferent, blind eye to our gov`s involvement in this farce then, cry crocodile tears when one or two of the poor buggers are paraded back here on slates, bag-pipes a blaring. For most, it being an inconvenience and reminder of what fools we`ve become.

There..stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
I don't smoke pipes. That'd be my Dad.
Um, better watch it or else you'll be called a Canuck hater like me. lol
I don't hate Canadians nor Americans. I just see that both countries could be a lot better than we are, but politics messes it up.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The civilians are the primary target, it is no accident that they regularly outnumber the actual dead combatants, they are the target, always. If you think about it you'll see. When one army is beaten where do you think the victors camp that night? The civilian population in any war is the choicest target. This is how you crush hearts and enslave minds.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The soldiers accept that risk and choose to go there...those kids, those civilians, didn't choose to sign up to be there. Comparing and weighing out the two should NEVER occur.

No, you should never compare the two, those soldiers are the best Canada had to give, yet they are sent to war with substandard equipment. (mostly the same argument can be said about the U.S.) Be proud of them all. Did those farmers point out where those roadside bombs were. I don't think so. Ever consider asking yourself why farmers in a war zone were doing loading cucumbers on a truck at night. We are now asking the best in the world for help in Afghanistan, the Vietnamese. My how times have changed, beautiful country Vietnam. Yes, war is wrong, but it happens and someone has to step up to the challenge.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Did the aliens forget to remove your anal probe, Mr. Beee? I'm not kissing anyone's behind. I am pointing out that Canadians are hypocritical if they blame Americans or anyone else for killing civilians. Grow up.

Canadian soldier charged in death of Afghan civilian_English_Xinhua

They can't even keep from shooting themselves.

Sobs heard as soldier found guilty on two counts in Afghanistan shooting trial - Yahoo! Canada News

Nonsense!

Canada has soldiers in Afghanistan because we were pressured by the U.S. to have them there. There is no war to win in Afghanistan, no ground to capture, Our soldiers just have to stay alert to keep from being blown up like about a hundred and ten of their mates already have. The war on terror is a joke. TWOT killed more people than 9/11 in the first few days. If Aghanis are being shot by Canadians it is purely self defense. How do you tell an Afghani from a Taliban? The Afghani is dead. If he isn't dead, he could still be a Taliban.