Thank you Mr. Bush

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
If those prove true, more soldiers will have killed themselves than died in combat last month. According to Pentagon statistics, there were 16 U.S. combat deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq in January.

"This is terrifying," an Army official said. "We do not know what is going on."

I know what's going on, it's pretty straight forward.... it happens to Canadian soldiers as well, esspecially to those who never felt a justification for their actions in the war. A report on CBC's The National had a former Canadian soldier tell straight out how he has coped with going over in Afghanistan.

He didn't know why he was sent over, he didn't see any justification for the mission, he couldn't understand why he had to see his buddies die, etc.... when he got home he no longer knew how to cope and was not only putting a strain on his friendships and relationships, but he also turned into an alcoholic and I believe he said he drove his friends home drunk one night..... when he realized that he's putting his friends and those around him at risk because of the way he was....

to say the least, he was pretty screwed up. He and his mother went to the forces to explain about his PTSD he was suffering from and the officer, as his mother said, stood up, looked right at them and said "We all have to deal with this, suck it up."

There was more to his story, but the nut shell of the whole thing is that there is very little support for those who come back after war and are usually left to their own devices.

And from what I have heard, it's even worse for support in the US..... most usually end up unemployed, not able to hold a job, suffering from substance abuse, violent, not able to hold relationships, etc.....

and the comment above "We don't know what's going on" Is a load of sh*t.

They know exactly what's going on.... they just don't want to spend the money to fix it.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
I know what's going on, it's pretty straight forward.... it happens to Canadian soldiers as well, esspecially to those who never felt a justification for their actions in the war. A report on CBC's The National had a former Canadian soldier tell straight out how he has coped with going over in Afghanistan.

He didn't know why he was sent over, he didn't see any justification for the mission, he couldn't understand why he had to see his buddies die, etc.... when he got home he no longer knew how to cope and was not only putting a strain on his friendships and relationships, but he also turned into an alcoholic and I believe he said he drove his friends home drunk one night..... when he realized that he's putting his friends and those around him at risk because of the way he was....

to say the least, he was pretty screwed up. He and his mother went to the forces to explain about his PTSD he was suffering from and the officer, as his mother said, stood up, looked right at them and said "We all have to deal with this, suck it up."

There was more to his story, but the nut shell of the whole thing is that there is very little support for those who come back after war and are usually left to their own devices.

And from what I have heard, it's even worse for support in the US..... most usually end up unemployed, not able to hold a job, suffering from substance abuse, violent, not able to hold relationships, etc.....

They know exactly what's going on.... they just don't want to spend the money to fix it.

Those poor bastards are merely cannon fodder.
All the hoop-la/heroism/they died to keep us safe BS, over thier deaths, weather in combat or the taking of thier own lives is a pile of ****.
That army PR dork we see recently on CBC commenting on the latest Canadian deaths turns my stomach.

...duh, he played guitar really well and, duh...was well liked by his fellow commrades and uh, smiled a-lot and uh....will be missed.
NEXT!!!

<snip> running this country outta be ****ing shot with a ball of thier own ****.

Moderator's Edit: Please refrain from using that language.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Those poor bastards are merely cannon fodder.
All the hoop-la/heroism/they died to keep us safe BS, over thier deaths, weather in combat or the taking of thier own lives is a pile of ****.
That army PR dork we see recently on CBC commenting on the latest Canadian deaths turns my stomach.

...duh, he played guitar really well and, duh...was well liked by his fellow commrades and uh, smiled a-lot and uh....will be missed.
NEXT!!!

<snip> running this country outta be ****ing shot with a ball of thier own ****.

Moderator's Edit: Please refrain from using that language.

Peace!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Kudos to the CBC for a great propaganda piece. Those familiar with the PTSD and CISD realize that the military takes these issues seriously. You gotta wonder about the ulterior motives of the individuals involved.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Kudos to the CBC for a great propaganda piece. Those familiar with the PTSD and CISD realize that the military takes these issues seriously. You gotta wonder about the ulterior motives of the individuals involved.

This wasn't something that just popped on the tv yesterday, this was about 2 years into the war and at that time they were addressing the issues, but not enough, and there is still a stigma within the military in regards to PTSD... prior to it even being labeled PTSD, those who were affected by it still had to deal with the same stigmas as being labeled cowards, etc.

This isn't anything new, and it wasn't for any propaganda purposes, but for exposing the truth that these problems still exist. Just because there's a problem, doesn't mean they're against the war..... they're against leaving people behind to suffer through these things on their own.

The examples they told of the CO telling him to suck it up wasn't meant as a general blanket statement of the entire military, but his division in paticular. Nor did he actually oppose those who still desired to go over.... he was focusing on his problems and the problems many others may or may not go through, in order to bring attention to the problems.

Since this report and a few others came out, the military has indeed stepped up their focus on these issues.

I used this as an example towards the original topic as to why there are so many suicides.

If you are suffering from these types of problems and there's no help for you, what do you expect will happen?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
This wasn't something that just popped on the tv yesterday, this was about 2 years into the war and at that time they were addressing the issues, but not enough, and there is still a stigma within the military in regards to PTSD... prior to it even being labeled PTSD, those who were affected by it still had to deal with the same stigmas as being labeled cowards, etc.

This isn't anything new, and it wasn't for any propaganda purposes, but for exposing the truth that these problems still exist. Just because there's a problem, doesn't mean they're against the war..... they're against leaving people behind to suffer through these things on their own.

The examples they told of the CO telling him to suck it up wasn't meant as a general blanket statement of the entire military, but his division in paticular. Nor did he actually oppose those who still desired to go over.... he was focusing on his problems and the problems many others may or may not go through, in order to bring attention to the problems.

Since this report and a few others came out, the military has indeed stepped up their focus on these issues.

I used this as an example towards the original topic as to why there are so many suicides.

If you are suffering from these types of problems and there's no help for you, what do you expect will happen?

A comparison would be the US as we are a 1/9th size of them and should/would/could (we are not Americans after all) have the same issues.

Are we dealing with it in the same way?

547,000 ex and current US service mean/women have been refused benefits since the Iraq invasion

I'll hazard a guess that the numbers reported by CBC are too factual for some to comprehend and are a 'tad low

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
No there isn't.

Do you ever have a friggin clue of anything that you decide to talk about?

Obviously not after expressing such a general blanket claim as the above.

Have you ever been in the military? Do you even know any soldiers? Do you even know wtf goes on in the forces? Do you know anything??

I or anybody else here could say something that's the complete opposite of what I or they believe and you'd still disagree with it.

No there isn't?

How?

How the hell do you know?

Do you have anything to back up anything you ever say?

No.... you never do.

I have family in the military, I know what they tell me first hand, I know what I have experienced through various encounters in my life, I know what my friends who are in it tell me. I know what the claims are by many...... and I know much of this through actually stopping for a second, opening my eyes, opening my ears and actually listening..... not by continually shooting my ignorant mouth off about crap I have no clue about like you keep on doing.

There is an issue with it, there are still problems..... get a friggin clue once in your damn life.

So you're going to call all those who complain about these problems liars? If they're liars, what would you call them them? Cowards?

Then wouldn't that just disprove exactly what you just said above?

How about you just stop wasting everybody's time and just leave.

"No there isn't."

Yeah, wonderful argument.... troll.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Thank you Mr. Bush for dodging those size 10 missiles. If you weren't so coherent of your surroundings, that terrorist would have succeeded, and it would have proved to been a embarrassing moment for the mission.

Good job George! :cool:

malcome

Nov 26, 2008
Do you also think that something should be done to those who just stood by and did nothing? How many times have we just stood by while people were killed for any reason in this world. At least Bush did something, we would still be here debating 8 years after 9/11. (WMD if only Saddam knew that his generals sold off all nuclear technology as well as most of his gas and biological weapons) He was duped into thinking he had those items in his arsenal ready to use. Bush knew nothing about the long term effects he was getting into. Cheney and others were running things at least in the beginning. Bush committed no war crimes, So called torture was not life threatening, only meant to scare them into talking. Why is it that we have given sanctuary to those cowards who refuse to fight, they sure will help us out. (being sarcastic), work for or do anything to help their country. Wonder how strong we would be if confronted with "real" world problems.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Do you also think that something should be done to those who just stood by and did nothing? How many times have we just stood by while people were killed for any reason in this world. At least Bush did something, we would still be here debating 8 years after 9/11. (WMD if only Saddam knew that his generals sold off all nuclear technology as well as most of his gas and biological weapons) He was duped into thinking he had those items in his arsenal ready to use. Bush knew nothing about the long term effects he was getting into. Cheney and others were running things at least in the beginning. Bush committed no war crimes, So called torture was not life threatening, only meant to scare them into talking. Why is it that we have given sanctuary to those cowards who refuse to fight, they sure will help us out. (being sarcastic), work for or do anything to help their country. Wonder how strong we would be if confronted with "real" world problems.

How many times have we just stood by while people were killed for any reason in this world.

Civil rights workers, American Indians, Iraqui's, Afghani's etc. The list is endless

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

WMD. Who did Saddam's General's sell them to? Do you have proof of this or are you just spewing the Bush fan club line?

Your post is (to be polite).... incredible in it's naive rhetoric

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I hope the facts don't choke him too hard. His avatar appears to have an over-sensitive gag reflex. One fact too many, and Uuurrrrrp!