GOP reaction divided over controversial Obama song

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Good 'ol boys jus havin a little fun? A freudian moment or is racism alive and well again in the Republican party?

Republican Party reaction is divided over the decision of a candidate for party chairman to distribute a CD that features the parody tune "Barack the Magic Negro," with the majority of Chip Saltsman's political rivals criticizing the move.
Chip Saltsman has been criticized by some of his rivals for the RNC chairmanship.

Republican National Committee Chairman Mike Duncan -- battling to keep his job as head of the party -- was the first prominent member of the GOP to criticize Saltsman for sending committee members the song.
"The 2008 election was a wake-up call for Republicans to reach out and bring more people into our party," Duncan said in a Saturday statement. "I am shocked and appalled that anyone would think this is appropriate, as it clearly does not move us in the right direction."
He is one of several candidates running to replace Duncan in the closely contested race to lead the Republican Party.
Michigan party chairman Saul Anuzis also questioned Saltsman's judgment.
"In my opinion, this isn't funny and it's in bad taste," he said in a statement. "Just as important, anything that paints the GOP as being motivated in our criticism of President-elect Obama by anything other than a difference in philosophy does a disservice to our party."
Watch more about the controversy over the song »
Republican Party of Florida Chairman Jim Greer -- who has reportedly been weighing a run for the party's top spot, but has not officially announced a bid -- released a Monday morning statement praising candidates who have weighed in against the "racially insulting song."
Don't Miss

"As the GOP Chairman in one of our nation's most ethnically and culturally diverse states, I am especially disappointed by the inappropriate words and actions we've seen over the past few days," he said. "I am proud of those party leaders who have stood up in firm opposition to this type of behavior."
"Actions such as the distribution of this CD, regardless of intent, only serves to promote divisiveness and distracts us from our common goal of building our party."