Why Not Treat the Shoe-Thrower As an Enemy Combatant?

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
by Jacob G. Hornberger

After being severely beaten by government officials in the free nation of Iraq, Iraqi journalist Muntader al-Zaidi, the Iraqi man who threw his shoes at President Bush, is being charged with the crime of attacking a head of state, a crime that entails a possible prison sentence of 7 to 15 years.

Some people might consider the beating, which allegedly left al-Zaidi with a broken arm and ribs and injuries to an eye and leg, and the possibility of 15 years in jail, to be too light a punishment for someone who assaults the president of the United States.

But, hey, there’s another option: convert al-Zaidi from a criminal defendant to an enemy combatant in the war on terrorism, thereby entitling the U.S. military to subject him to the full panoply of Abu Ghraib/Gitmo torture-and-sex abuse techniques, and even better, keep him incarcerated for the rest of his life.

After all, that’s pretty much what U.S. officials have done with Ali al-Marri. He was getting ready for trial in federal district court here in the United States, when U.S. officials converted him from a criminal defendant to an enemy combatant in the war on terrorism. They whisked him away to a U.S. military dungeon, where he will remain incarcerated for the rest of his life without a trial or as long as the Pentagon chooses.

It’s also what they’ve done with the people they have sent to Gitmo. While they have opted to treat some accused terrorists as criminal defendants (e.g., Zacharias Moussaoui, Timothy McVeigh, Ramzi Yousef, etc.), ever since 9/11 the feds have wielded the discretionary power to treat suspected terrorists as either criminal defendants or as enemy combatants.

If a U.S. military tribunal at Gitmo were trying al-Zaidi, wouldn’t there be a much better chance of getting a conviction than if Iraqi judges are deciding his fate?

Moreover, unlike in Iraq, if al-Zaidi were somehow acquitted at Gitmo, the Pentagon wields the power to ignore the verdict and keep him incarcerated anyway for the rest of his life as an enemy combatant.

Does it make a difference that al-Zaidi committed his act of terrorism in Iraq rather than the United States?

Of course not. Don’t forget: ever since 9/11, the entire world has become a battleground in the war on terrorism. Even better, al-Zaidi committed his terrorist act in the country that just happens to be the central front in the war on terrorism. If U.S. forces can kidnap suspected terrorists in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Somalia, and every other country on Earth and whisk them away to Cuba for treatment, then surely it can do so with respect to terrorists in Iraq as well.

To those who might claim that attacking a head of state is a criminal offense, not an act of war, there are two responses:

First, ever since 9/11 the U.S. government has wielded the power to convert a crime into an act of war. Indeed, isn’t that what the government has done with the crime of terrorism? If it can do so with one crime, it can do so with other crimes.

Second, the president of the United States is much more than just a head of state. He also happens to be the commander in chief of the military force that is charged with the principle role in waging the worldwide war on terrorism. Thus, since insurgents in Iraq are considered terrorists for attacking Bush’s army in Iraq, then surely someone who attacks its commander in chief is a terrorist too.

Of course, someone might say that throwing a shoe at the president is different from throwing a grenade at the troops. But isn’t that really a distinction without a difference? After all, we’re dealing with projectiles here. Who’s to say that a shoe, especially one with a sharp heel, can’t be just a dangerous as a grenade? Do we really want to be distinguishing criminals from enemy combatants by the type of projectiles they use against the troops and their military commanders?

Moreover, why limit the enemy combatant status to bullets, bombs, and shoes? Hurling words at government officials, especially when strung together in stinging criticism of their actions, can be just as dangerous as those projectiles, if not more so.

Oh, did I mention that al-Zaidi has also been charged with “insulting the Iraqi state”? Why not convert that crime into an act of war too and subject him to enemy combatant status for that act as well. Indeed, why not then expand that act of war to the American people, who are now subject to being treated as enemy combatants in the war on terrorism? If such a crime — insulting the state — is good enough for Iraq, which President Bush tells us is now “free,” then isn’t it just as good for the country that brought such “freedom” to Iraq. And think how much safer everyone would be from the terrorists.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Do you have a comment or question or opinion on what you supplied?

To me, it's a bit of an extreme point of view detached from reality.

He won't be considered an enemy combatant, and if he gets any serious penalties for what he did, then you can see the entire Middle East go ape sh*t and get ready for the US to have more threats and attacks inside their country soon enough after.

If he's jailed, he'll be jailed for as long as Bush is still in power and then be pardoned by the Iraqis and set free, he'll write a book, it'll turn into a movie, he makes millions, he spreads it around the country of Iraq, people love him even more, unity starts to take place, he becomes the new leader of the country, he then forms up a strong military and with the help of neighboring nations, they design a giant nuclear powered shoe to launch accross the globe and finally smack Bush as he intended as it crushes his house along with him in it.

So the best logical thing to do is to just let the whole thing slide and try not to make a big deal out of it.......

...... but man that was so friggin cool when he lobbed those shoes at him, I mean, damn I almost busted a gut laughing when I saw that.... I mean what a big deal that was, cuz like, nobody got that close yet in Iraq to chuck something at him.

But um.... yeah, let's not make a big deal out of this.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
....If he's jailed, he'll be jailed for as long as Bush is still in power and then be pardoned by the Iraqis and set free, he'll write a book, it'll turn into a movie, he makes millions, he spreads it around the country of Iraq, people love him even more, unity starts to take place, he becomes the new leader of the country, he then forms up a strong military and with the help of neighboring nations, they design a giant nuclear powered shoe to launch accross the globe and finally smack Bush as he intended as it crushes his house along with him in it....

:lol: bush`s forcing `democracy` on the people coming back to haunt him!! Yeah!!

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Why should we even be involved in what happens to this journalist? He is regarded as a folk hero to his own nation and while his current imprisonment is the business of his nation I think the US has put some pressure on Iraq to do something to the man who made George Bush look like the fool he really is. I think it was funny and good entertainment too.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Why should we even be involved in what happens to this journalist? He is regarded as a folk hero to his own nation and while his current imprisonment is the business of his nation I think the US has put some pressure on Iraq to do something to the man who made George Bush look like the fool he really is. I think it was funny and good entertainment too.

Georgie finally did something right.... I think the shoe-tosser should have a holiday named in his honour.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If he plays his cards right he could get 30 or 40 million from the NY Yankees.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
War on terrorism? You havent' been listening! Bush has always said 'war on terrism'. Clean your ears out, man. It's not just an accent of his. He's been telling us all along.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
JBeee,

Now common, don't tell me you didn't enjoy throwing a shoe at Dubbya?

I`ll admit....I did click on the link, but thats the extent of it.

Again, trivializing this monster, given the death and destruction by his bloody hand, says very little about our sense of morality. Its like making light of Hitler and other (current) mad-men thats left a trail of unspeakable atrocities in thier wake.

If it make one feel a little less guilty for putting a blind eye to and allowing this wild animal to do what it did, then go at it. Have your fun.

When once again,terror comes a knocking at our doors because of this evil dictators actions and our collective indiference, perhaps then, we sit quietly and reflect.