US Federal Banking bailout

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm trying to wrap my brain around what they are proposing. The description most used is the feds buying 'mortgage-backed assets'. I'm assuming that is to mean houses, or blocks of houses on a balance sheet. One possible way that the process could work, or is being proposed by some, is reverse auctions. Buying out mortgage-backed assets through reverse auctions. Clear as mud eh? Is that to mean the government will periodically offer up bundles of money and the banks will need to bid on that money with assets? The highest asset provider gets the funds?

It still doesn't deal with the housing problem, which is the root problem. Wouldn't that type of auction drive prices even lower?

I still think they need to offer something like, for a period of a year or two, anyone buying residential single-family property and holding it for 10 or 15 years gets to then sell it without any capital gains. That would then bring buyers into the market, other than a government trying to buy assets on the cheap.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Housing prices will go down, but it's a good thing for some of us. I don't think the problem is a lack of buyers at the moment, at least not here. I've been outbid on 3 places in the last few months. The problem is people can't sell their houses for as much as they owe on their mortgages if they bought 2-3 years ago when prices were so high.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
This is a 700 billion bailout of criminals, that money ultimately comes directly from the American taxpayer. So what we will witness this morning is the most corrupt and blatant theft of public wealth ever witnessed on earth, and the kicker is it will not fix the economy it will only preserve the privilaged wealthy. The election will be the last in the USA for a long time.
Commercial property is next.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Market tips for today. Buy physical tangeble stuff. Get out of paper it isn't stuff.

Beavers picks of the week. 1. Gold
2/ Gold
3/ Silver
4/ Firewood
5/ Beans (dry)
6/ Ammunition
7/ SnowShovels
8/ Wooden Safety Matches
9/ Frying Pans (cast iron chinese)
10/ Chicken
11/ Booze
12/ Snow Tires
13/ Car Batteries
14/ Medicinals

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
knee jerk...is all... the bail out is putting a dirty bandaid on an inffected cut...

As long as corporations and all of us stock and mutual fund holders expect huge returns on our money the short cuts and loopy markets will remain

Northboy

Electoral Member
I've been trying to follow this bailout with much interest.Note the Central Banks kicked in a wad of cash to make this happen.I can't help but wonder what strings are attached ala the old IMF sheningans.

I have learned that Banks relate to sovereignty, strong Banks, strong country.

If the US doesn't handle this right, their Banking sector could be carved up like a turkey.

It will be interesting to watch....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
knee jerk...is all... the bail out is putting a dirty bandaid on an inffected cut...

As long as corporations and all of us stock and mutual fund holders expect huge returns on our money the short cuts and loopy markets will remain

The bandaid is very late as you mention the infection has already poisoned the entire system.
The stuff I read says it's all over for capitalism period. It cannot survive. "Loopy markets" is not very discriptive of the true state of capitalist markets at this time. "Organized White Collar Crime" is the exact term. Today will be a very big hiest right under the cattles noses. And half will believe it's a patriotic thing. So yeah, as long as investors drink & gamble with financials for easy fast money the business world will be ****ed up I quess.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
All the schemes and fancy money maneuvering never make sense to me Kreskin, but, what you propose sounds like a good idea.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
There was a great quote that I liked regarding this. I hope I get it right.

"It looks like it is the same old story. Privatized profits and socialized bailouts."

How true that is.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
There was a great quote that I liked regarding this. I hope I get it right.

"It looks like it is the same old story. Privatized profits and socialized bailouts."

How true that is.

Privatized profits? As in profits that don't pay taxes?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Housing prices will go down, but it's a good thing for some of us. I don't think the problem is a lack of buyers at the moment, at least not here. I've been outbid on 3 places in the last few months. The problem is people can't sell their houses for as much as they owe on their mortgages if they bought 2-3 years ago when prices were so high.

Buyers are the problem Tracy, there aren't many.One problem is that banks are not lending, credit is freezing up. The buying will only take place by institutions, like banks, when they can get the propertys at pennies on the dollar.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
By MICHAEL GRAY

Click image to enlarge.

Last updated: 6:20 am
September 21, 2008
Posted: 4:16 am
September 21, 2008
The market was 500 trades away from Armageddon on Thursday, traders inside two large custodial banks tell The Post.
Had the Treasury and Fed not quickly stepped into the fray that morning with a quick $105 billion injection of liquidity, the Dow could have collapsed to the 8,300-level - a 22 percent decline! - while the clang of the opening bell was still echoing around the cavernous exchange floor.
According to traders, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, money market funds were inundated with $500 billion in sell orders prior to the opening. The total money-market capitalization was roughly $4 trillion that morning.
The panicked selling was directly linked to the seizing up of the credit markets - including a $52 billion constriction in commercial paper - and the rumors of additional money market funds "breaking the buck," or dropping below $1 net asset value.
The Fed's dramatic $105 billion liquidity injection on Thursday (pre-market) was just enough to keep key institutional accounts from following through on the sell orders and starting a stampede of cash that could have brought large tracts of the US economy to a halt.
While many depositors treat money market accounts as fancy savings accounts, they are different. Banks buy a variety of short-term debt, including commercial paper, with the assets. It is an important distinction because banks use the $1.7 trillion commercial-paper market to fund their credit card operations and car finance companies use it to move autos.
Without commercial paper, "factories would have to shut down, people would lose their jobs and there would be an effect on the real economy," Paul Schott Stevens, of the Investment Company Institute, told the Wall Street Journal.
Cracks started to show in money market accounts late Tuesday when shares in one fund, the Reserve Primary Fund - which touted itself as super safe - fell below the golden $1 a share level. It had purchased what it thought was safe Lehman bonds, never dreaming they could default - which they did 24 hours earlier when the 158-year-old investment bank filed Chapter 11.
By Wednesday, banks sensed a run on their accounts. They started stockpiling cash in anticipation of withdrawals.
Banks, which usually keep an average of $2 billion in excess reserves earmarked for withdrawals, pumped that up to an astounding $90 billion by Wednesday, Lou Crandall, chief economist at Wrighton ICAP, told The Journal.
And for good reason. By the close of business on Wednesday, $144.5 billion - a record - had been withdrawn. How much money was taken out of money market funds the prior week? Roughly $7.1 billion, according to AMG Data Services.
By Thursday, that level, fed by the incredible volume of sell orders pouring in from institutional investors like pension funds and sovereign funds, had grown to $100 billion. It was still not enough to stem the tidal wave.
The banks knew something drastic had to be done. So did Paulson.
The injection of capital into the market was followed up by calls from Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson to major money market players like Bank of New York Mellon and State Street in Boston informing them that federal money was in the market and they should tell their clients the Feds would be back with a plan to stem the constriction in the credit market.

Paulson knew the $105 billion injection was not a real solution. A broader, more radical answer was needed.
Hours after Paulson made his round of calls to calm the industry, word leaked out that an added $1 trillion bailout of banks was being readied. Investors cheered. At about 3 p.m., news of the plans was filtering up and down Wall Street, fueling a 700-point advance in the Dow Jones industrial average through 4 p.m. Friday.
By that time, Paulson had announced the plan. It included insurance on money market accounts, a move that started in quiet Thursday morning, when the former Goldman Sachs executive saved the country from a paralyzing meltdown.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think you get the gist of what he was saying.

I get the gist of what he was saying, but it grates. I know the money we're dumping in is socialized profit. Trust me.. everyone on this forum helps pay for the infusion of cash we're giving the states right now.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
The bandaid is very late as you mention the infection has already poisoned the entire system.
The stuff I read says it's all over for capitalism period. It cannot survive. "Loopy markets" is not very discriptive of the true state of capitalist markets at this time. "Organized White Collar Crime" is the exact term. Today will be a very big hiest right under the cattles noses. And half will believe it's a patriotic thing. So yeah, as long as investors drink & gamble with financials for easy fast money the business world will be ****ed up I quess.

yes but I still want my rrsp's to make fantastic money...we are all part of it! I believe in this system, maybe because it's all we got.. but we ignore the true trappings and pitfalls of it. Free enterprise is the way..but regulation from outside the system MUST be in place

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
yes but I still want my rrsp's to make fantastic money...we are all part of it! I believe in this system, maybe because it's all we got.. but we ignore the true trappings and pitfalls of it. Free enterprise is the way..but regulation from outside the system MUST be in place

Political provision for that necessary regulation have been enacted into legislation time and time again and always the same end result. Regulated free enterprise is oxymoronic isn't it? In Canada the legislation exists making the Bank of Canada the source of government credit, if it was adhered to Canada would not have a 500 billion dollar debt. Even when the law specifies government regulated banking, it is circumvented. What's required is the end of capitalism period.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
The politicians and the financiers are throwing the small guy under the train and making everyone think their actions are saving a world economy. Those who prosper are those who participated in the making of this problem to begin with. Wait and see who gets a huge bonus when they retire and it will be from taxpayer monies. The gap between the haves and the have nots just widened considerably.

Last edited:

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Political provision for that necessary regulation have been enacted into legislation time and time again and always the same end result. Regulated free enterprise is oxymoronic isn't it? In Canada the legislation exists making the Bank of Canada the source of government credit, if it was adhered to Canada would not have a 500 billion dollar debt. Even when the law specifies government regulated banking, it is circumvented. What's required is the end of capitalism period.

yeah yeah...as you sit using your capital driven manufactered item (computer) on a profit driven internet (making it available to all) in a warm building with all the comforts invented and marketed to make a profit... It's easy to talk but I don't see you living in the forest off the grid away from all this?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The politicians and the financiers are throwing the small guy under the train and making everyone think their actions are saving a world economy. Those who prosper are those who participated in the making of this problem to begin with. Wait and see who gets a huge bonus when they retire and it will be from taxpayer monies. The gap between the haves and the have nots just widened considerably.

And what's more norm is that Paulson one of the architechs of the crime is now to be the saviour of the day. What an absolute discrace.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
yeah yeah...as you sit using your capital driven manufactered item (computer) on a profit driven internet (making it available to all) in a warm building with all the comforts invented and marketed to make a profit... It's easy to talk but I don't see you living in the forest off the grid away from all this?

I see your problem, you believe capital produces something other than profit. Captital produces nothing Ottawbill not even one thumbtack. You don't see too much of me Ottawabill, most of the year I live off the grid in the forest but I don't have to be far away from anything but the noise.
Labour is the source of all wealth Ottawabill. And that me son is a concrete fact that's understood well and certainly understood by sucessful capitalists, they know the hands that feed them even if you don't.