The US right-wing and and torture.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
It's been well established that the Republican White House supports the use of physical and mental abuse against those it deems a threat, but some top Republicans also feel using some of the same coersive and abusive behaviour against the youth of America is acceptable.

http://www.valleyadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=1981

http://teenadvocatesusa.homestead.com/frontpage.html

What do you think, has the US right-wing become enamoured with the use and abuse of power even when it applies to young Americans?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It's been well established that the Republican White House supports the use of physical and mental abuse against those it deems a threat, but some top Republicans also feel using some of the same coersive and abusive behaviour against the youth of America is acceptable.

http://www.valleyadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=1981

http://teenadvocatesusa.homestead.com/frontpage.html

What do you think, has the US right-wing become enamoured with the use and abuse of power even when it applies to young Americans?

Technically you have to agree with the decision, torture is most affective when applied to civilians especially children so I'm confident that any money spent in that area is good value for the dollar, best efficiency really. Wheather it's physically or emotionally applied though is a decision best left to the technitions on the ground, people who are trained and capable of protecting our investments and future from the Martians. The correctness of this approach will be bourne out I'm sure when we review the intelligence gathered from the ah participants. :lol:

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Sigh

Where is John McCain when you need him?

Running third or fourth, unfortunately.

John McCain is too normal to be successful in the Republican party of today. He's against torture (because he spent half a decade in the Hanoi Hilton) and he has morals.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
John McCain is too normal to be successful in the Republican party of today. He's against torture (because he spent half a decade in the Hanoi Hilton) and he has morals.

Hey Kid of the Mineral, I'm a giant beaver not the easter bunnys press agent.He was captured in North Vietnam because he's a piss poor pilot and he has piles. You can pump the old toads handle all you like it ain't going to change the facts.:smile:

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Are you on drugs beaver? just asking.:-?

McCains was a naval aviator, just getting carrier qualified takes exceptional skill.

Flying a tiny A-4 over some of the hairiest AA in history also takes courage not seen in many politicians. And getting shot down and landing among the people you've just been bombing and surviving takes a great deal of luck. Severely wounded, he also survived five years of brutal imprisonment in Hanoi so he also has willpower to spare.

I don't usually agree with Colpy, but if there was any sanity in US politics McCain would be a shoe-in for Republican presidential candidate. Bull**** rules the day now, and it doesn't matter what kind of person you are anymore, just how well you're able to kiss ass of campaign fund donators.

McCain's not willing to compromise his beliefs as much as the other Republican candidates is all. Makes me admire him even more.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

McCains was a naval aviator, just getting carrier qualified takes exceptional skill.

Flying a tiny A-4 over some of the hairiest AA in history also takes courage not seen in many politicians. And getting shot down and landing among the people you've just been bombing and surviving takes a great deal of luck. Severely wounded, he also survived five years of brutal imprisonment in Hanoi so he also has willpower to spare.

I don't usually agree with Colpy, but if there was any sanity in US politics McCain would be a shoe-in for Republican presidential candidate. Bull**** rules the day now, and it doesn't matter what kind of person you are anymore, just how well you're able to kiss ass of campaign fund donators.

McCain's not willing to compromise his beliefs as much as the other Republican candidates is all. Makes me admire him even more.

All true.....and thanks for the agreement. :)

But all the above about McCain is circumstance.........could have happened to any soldier. What makes McCain more than just exceptional is that he was offered early release in return for just a little propaganda......you see his Daddy was an Admiral.........McCain refused. Not only did he withstand years of torture, he could have avoided it and did not, because he thought being released ahead of his compatriots would be wrong.

I'm left in awe.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
See we can identify the enemy yet we are powerless to enact change because we fear to stoop to the same level. Do we wonder how much suffering is cause due to our own inaction?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

He's made it clear on issues before that he holds the country's interests above the party's interests. He's not enough of a boot licker for them to let him lead.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
It's not so much they want to "torture" anyone. It's just that they want to change the meaning of "torture" so that they can do things. Necessary things. Like placing people in uncomfortabel positions for prolonged periods of time, or in mock drownings. But surely not torture. No, no. But certain pressures and stuff are needed.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
McCaine does it to himself. Illegal Immigration destroyed his run. Having your picture with Ted Kennedy's arm around you does not sit well with the GOP. I liked him too but it is his own fault.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

I like how ya slipped that "brutal" in there , it couldn't have been to brutal what, he's sucking a regulation ration of air as we speak ain't he. McCain works for the machine just like every candidate offered for your approval, they don't get near a microphone unless thier totally owned in the first place, now just because you get turned on by the sweet talk of a grade A con job don't necessarily mean when you open the box it's going to be full of sunshine do it?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Bush: '' we do not torture ''

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Don't let anyone fool you. The US has been in the torture business since WW II. In Byron, CA. there is a building now being opened for tours that was the west coast specialty shop to get those who were suspected of knowing war secrets to talk. After the war several Axis officers who were released spoke about theiur treatment at that facility and there was another in Virginia. The issue now is that the word is out and someone has to defend the operations which are supposed to be clandestine. If you think the US operation is abhorrent you should look at those in practice by China, Turkey, Russia and others who make this operation look like school yard games. There are some in South America that root from the Spanish Inquisition days.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Don't let anyone fool you. The US has been in the torture business since WW II. In Byron, CA. there is a building now being opened for tours that was the west coast specialty shop to get those who were suspected of knowing war secrets to talk. After the war several Axis officers who were released spoke about theiur treatment at that facility and there was another in Virginia. The issue now is that the word is out and someone has to defend the operations which are supposed to be clandestine. If you think the US operation is abhorrent you should look at those in practice by China, Turkey, Russia and others who make this operation look like school yard games. There are some in South America that root from the Spanish Inquisition days.
Just because the bad guys do it all the time normbc dosen't mean us the good guys should feel very comfy about the practice does it? I mean we're the source of sunshine and strwawberry fields and apple pie and all things good and decent right, it's kind of a let down to find out we're not as good as the commercials make out is it? I mean if your lost in the city and you find a policeman to help you find mummy he's liabel to tazer you because your on the wrong street right? What's it coming too eh?:lol:

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
1. This thread should be called The US right-wing IS torture. And

2. You McCain fans might want to have a look at a little problem he had back in the 80's when he was Senator in Arizona. Granted he got off scott free but you might take note that one person involved in that whole debacle just happened to be Neil Bush, brother of guess who.

Draw your own conclusions of course but I was there then and Mr. McCain was not a popular person.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Darkbeaver,
Right now in the federal and some state prisons there is a dark hole called Solitary Confinement and it too is another form of torture. Look at how the prisoner placed below ground level for ten days without anything but water and some very meager sanitary facility and they get to beging to be "Stir Crazy." That too has gone on for decades in the US. I have never accepted that practice but it does go on routinely.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Darkbeaver,
Right now in the federal and some state prisons there is a dark hole called Solitary Confinement and it too is another form of torture. Look at how the prisoner placed below ground level for ten days without anything but water and some very meager sanitary facility and they get to beging to be "Stir Crazy." That too has gone on for decades in the US. I have never accepted that practice but it does go on routinely.

I know a tiny bit about it normbc9, you speak the truth, the psycological weapons we use are particularly rotten, I don't want to hang with pricks like that longer than it takes me to shove a blade between thier ribs. To accept that of which you speak is to become it. And any good man will not go there for all the gold of all the vaults there ever were. In my humble opinion.