U.S Gitmo Screw-up, what else is new

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - A lawyer for one of three Guantanamo Bay detainees who committed suicide said Monday the U.S. government thwarted his attempts to represent the man "at every turn."

ADVERTISEMENT

Lawyers Jeff Davis and George Daly filed papers in U.S. District Court in Washington in September challenging the detention of Mani Shaman Turki al-Habardi al-Utaybi, one of three prisoners found hanging inside their wire mesh cells before dawn Saturday.

The legal challenge, known as a writ of habeas corpus, was one of hundreds filed by defense attorneys on behalf of detainees at the military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where the U.S. now holds about 460 men accused of links to al-Qaida or the Taliban.

But the government asserted that Davis and Daly had not adequately identified the detainee — they initially gave a different version of his name — and lacked the proper authority to file a legal challenge on his behalf, court records show.

In April, the lawyers said the government refused to deliver mail to their client. They also complained that the Pentagon delayed their security clearances to visit the detainee at the base. Davis said Monday their defense was hampered "at every turn" by the government.

In the end, the lawyers never spoke with their client. When Daly was finally granted permission recently to visit al-Utaybi, the detainee refused to meet with him for unknown reasons.

When announcing the suicides on Saturday, the military said none of the three men had lawyers or had filed habeas petitions. But in court papers filed Monday, the U.S. acknowledged the two lawyers had represented al-Utaybi, noting he was "now deceased as a result of apparent suicide."

U.S. military officials did not immediately respond to e-mails asking why they had said al-Utaybi did not have counsel. In court papers, the government defended its holding of detainees at Guantanamo, saying annual reviews are sufficient to ensure the government doesn't unnecessarily hold any detainees at the base.

Military officials also said Monday they will conduct an internal review of the rules for handling and monitoring detainees at the base, separate from a probe by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service into the deaths of the men.

"We will be looking at what were the procedures and were these procedures followed," Guantanamo spokesman Navy Cmdr. Robert Durand said by phone from the U.S. base in Cuba. "And do the procedures need to be modified?"

The military had accused al-Utaybi, 30, of being a member of a militant missionary group, Jama'at Al Tablighi, with ties to al-Qaida. He was not charged with any crimes and had been recommended for transfer back to his native Saudi Arabia.

Davis said he had seen no solid evidence that al-Utaybi had militant connections.

The lawyers, who had argued that al-Utaybi should have been released, do not know why the detainee killed himself or if he knew he was due to be transferred, Davis said.

"He must have been in a great deal of pain to do have done this," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060613...Eyl0VlhbXRvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Is there anyone in guatamo bay, that are being held with real charge?

i highly doubt it, just like everything usa did in the last 15 years, i doubt it.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Well even if all the detainees turn out to be genuine, evil-to-the-core baby eating terrorists, and there is indisputable proof of it, the moonbats on the left will claim that the right just invented Gitmo to deflect attention from all the other galactic domination plots they are involved in. You know, just like they killed Zarqawi two years ago and kept him on ice in a missile silo in nebraska until the Rove trial was about over with....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Personally, I think all the inmates of this prison should be immediately released and returned to their countries of origin.

The vast majority, Saudis, Afghans, ans Pakistanis, would be shot upon arrival.

The others could be tried for an endless list of crimes.

And Mr. Khadr, on his arrival in Kanada, would be treated as a returning hero............

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: U.S Gitmo Screw-up, what else is new

thomaska said:
Well even if all the detainees turn out to be genuine, evil-to-the-core baby eating terrorists, and there is indisputable proof of it, the moonbats on the left will claim that the right just invented Gitmo to deflect attention from all the other galactic domination plots they are involved in. You know, just like they killed Zarqawi two years ago and kept him on ice in a missile silo in nebraska until the Rove trial was about over with....

Gitmo is wrong, war in iraaq is wrong, war on terror is wrong, and you are wrong.

Who cares about zarqawi? only the right wing, like it was a big capture.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
What's wrong with Gitmo? These people were at one time or another classified as enemy combatants. They are POW's. They have rights under the Geneva Convention. The U.S. is not obligated to make them comfortable beyond what the convention says. . These same people who wouldnt think twice about sawing your head off and putting it on your back for no other reason than being from the west, are no longer the big tough mujahedeen are they? Now they want creature comforts like TV, and freedom to associate with each other? Now they want lawyers? Now they want rights? What about the people who they were depriving of their rights? Pfft...I think not. Let 'em rot there, maybe it'll build their character a little.

Who got captured? Last I checked they pureed his child-raping ass.

Well, I'm not bothering to check this forum or any others, but I'm sure Zarqawi was one of the left's favorite heroes to sling in the right's face and adulate as a freedom fighter, and as someone the U.S. would never get before his most rightous demise. Wasn't he? I'm sure Osama and Mullah Omar wont be big deals either when they play backstop to a 500 pounder...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here we go yet again,

"You're with us, or you're with the terrorists." "Enemy combatants"? That is what people become when their country is invaded. The Americans and the Coalition of the Demented are in the wrong here. They've been in the wrong since day one. Operation Iraq Freedom has killed a hundred thousand Iraqis. How many is enough? Imprisoning people who resist the invasion of their country was Hitler's way and I guess it worked. People have a hard time thinking about this war as a liberation when the first building that was secured and guarded by the U.S., was the Oil Ministry.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Colpy said:
Personally, I think all the inmates of this prison should be immediately released and returned to their countries of origin.

The vast majority, Saudis, Afghans, ans Pakistanis, would be shot upon arrival.

The others could be tried for an endless list of crimes.

And Mr. Khadr, on his arrival in Kanada, would be treated as a returning hero............

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
If this Iraq war was so just and going after people. Why was Dr. Germ released along with a whole bunch of other people??

Why??

And why have 140 people been released in Gitmo if there is evidence against them?? Have they all gone to prison in their home countries if they are quilty of acts of terrorism? Highly unlikely.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
We should have just let Afghanistan continue on as if nothing happened; same with Iraq...just sit back on our asses and do nothing. Great idea.

Same with WW2...same with the USSR, just let it happen.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan

Jay said:
We should have just let Afghanistan continue on as if nothing happened; same with Iraq...just sit back on our asses and do nothing. Great idea.

Thats the problem with the peaceniks and the appeasement crowd, they think if we all just sit back, pass the pipe around the fire and sing kumbaya, everything will be rainbows and shiny happy people. Theres not a proactive trait in the whole group.

Juan, do you think the "terrorists" are any different about the with us or against us stance? They are even more entrenched in their views because they use GOD to back up slaughtering the infidel.

The U.S. is in a mess with Gitmo though, I'll concede that. We can't send most of them home because their govts will use Sharia law to maim, behead or hang most of them. This of course will be our fault...
We can't let them loose in the U.S.A. because the next thing you know they'll be taking flight lessons and mixing up diesel fuel and ammonium nitrate...our fault again...
We cant send them to Canada because apparently they dont like you either...our fault? Sure, why not?
We can't let them loose in Cuba because they'll be in Miami within days...

And lastly, I'm still having a hard time reconciling the idea of a war for oil with paying $3.00 a gallon. Wouldnt you think it would be a lot cheaper if it were really a war for oil?

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

Jay said:

You just can't compare ww2 with the war on poor, i mean terrorist, WW2 was engaged by Nazi when they decided to invade europe based on a lie, when in fact the war on terror started when us coalition started the war based on a lie, damn that is the same you are right.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
if all the detainees turn out to be genuine, evil-to-the-core baby eating terrorists, and there is indisputable proof of it...

But after 4 years the USA government still has not presented even an iota of evidence to prove anything. Two of the highest decrees of the US Constitution are the right to a speedy trial and the common law's supposition of innocence until proven guilty.

How many more years must it take before the government "proves" its case against these men?