Donald Trump slams Canada-U.S trade deals


B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
+1
#1
Donald Trump slams Canada for trade practices in energy, lumber, and dairy



TORONTO — U.S. President Donald Trump escalated his attacks on cross-border trade Thursday, repeating his criticisms of Canada’s dairy industry but expanding his rhetoric to condemn lumber and energy.

The remarks will test the “good lines of communication” Canada’s government says it has established with Trump’s White House since the new administration took office.

After signing an executive order in Washington that directs his administration to investigate whether steel imports jeopardize U.S. national security, Trump decided to repeat remarks he made earlier this week on Canadian dairy policies. He called them a “disgrace” to U.S. farm workers.

Trump then went on to criticize Canadian policies on lumber and energy, and said that Canada, and not just Mexico, has made the North America Free Trade Agreement a “disaster for our country.”

“We can’t let Canada or anybody else take advantage and do what they did to our workers and to our farmers,” Trump said. “And again, I want to also just mention, included in there is lumber — timber — and energy. So we’re going to have to get to the negotiating table with Canada very, very quickly.”

The dairy trade battle erupted earlier this week after Trump condemned Canadian policies during a speech to dairy farmers in Wisconsin. The U.S. dairy industry has been complaining about Canada’s policies on ultrafiltered milk, an ingredient used to make cheese.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told Bloomberg News that Canada will stick with its policies, despite Trump’s remarks. “The U.S. has a $400 million dairy surplus with Canada, so it’s not Canada that’s the challenge here,” Trudeau said, adding that many other countries subsidize agriculture. “Let’s not pretend we’re in a global free market when it comes to agriculture.”

Trump’s heated rhetoric on Canadian trade changes a softer tone his administration has directed toward Canada since he took office in January. During the election, Trump repeatedly attacked NAFTA, but always did so in reference to the U.S. relationship with Mexico.

Canadian foreign minister Chrystia Freeland, in Toronto Thursday to speak to a meeting of the Public Policy Forum, a high-level think tank, said that despite some of the rhetoric on the trade file, the Trudeau government has developed “very good lines of communication” with the new U.S. administration.

“I feel our country really gets that this is a critical moment. It’s a new U.S. administration with some openly protectionist views, and I do feel we have a strong, Team Canada approach that is serving us well,” Freeland said.

Since the Trump administration took office, Canadian officials from all levels of government have made more than 80 trips to the U.S. and held more than 180 meetings — including a friendly get together between Trump and Trudeau in Washington in February. Following that meeting, Trump said he only wanted to “tweak” the U.S. relationship with Canada under NAFTA.

While Canada and the U.S. enjoy the world’s largest bilateral trading relationship, with roughly $2 billion in goods and services crossing the border each day, disputes do boil over.

Lumber has been a trade irritant between the two nations for generations, so it’s little surprise it would be singled out by Trump. Lumber was excluded from NAFTA and its predecessor, the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement. A nine-year lumber trade agreement signed in 2006 eased tensions, but that deal expired in 2015.

Trump’s decision to single out Energy seemed unusual, however. NAFTA currently grants the U.S. access to Canadian oil without import fees.

Whatever Trump has in mind, his comments on dairy, lumber and energy suggest his administration is ramping up to play hardball in future NAFTA talks.

Freeland, who was Canada’s trade minister before being named foreign minister in January, said she understands the U.S. political position. But she insists that on dairy, Canada is in compliance with both NAFTA and the World Trade Organization rules.

“I understand that Wisconsin dairy farmers are unhappy. I actually talk to unhappy farmers all the time — one of them is my dad, although he’s not a dairy farmer,” Freeland said. “It’s the job of politicians to respond to some of the unhappiness of their constituents. And on dairy, we are very comfortable with our position. And I think trade lawyers agree.”



source (external - login to view)

I wish somebody would part this fukkers hair and soon.

Canadians needs to stop their cross border shopping.. Fukk the USA. Tank all the border towns that rely on Canadian shoppers.
 
MHz
#2
Once he found those cruise missiles he just hasn't been the same. Perhaps Canada should make it a priority to do business only with Canadian owned businesses. Even if that is just shoveling sidewalks at the moment. We could certainly make headway in modernizing the hemp industry starting with shelving 3 1/2 tons of needless paperwork and needless red tape.

Cross border shopping is countered with shopping in 'the north' where taxes are rebates on goods rather than an additional cost. For those in 'middle earth' (in Canada but shopping in the US) going north would have you come back with a cheque instead of a bill. Thanks for shopping in Canada Canada.
It comes frozen for a reason and there is no expiry date on 'food items'.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+2
#3
Canada really did get fukked over on softwood lumber. No doubt about it.
 
MHz
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post


TORONTO — U.S. President Donald Trump escalated his attacks on cross-border trade Thursday, repeating his criticisms of Canada’s dairy industry but expanding his rhetoric to condemn lumber and energy.

The remarks will test the “good lines of communication” Canada’s government says it has established with Trump’s White House since the new administration took office.

After signing an executive order in Washington that directs his administration to investigate whether steel imports jeopardize U.S. national security, Trump decided to repeat remarks he made earlier this week on Canadian dairy policies. He called them a “disgrace” to U.S. farm workers.

Trump then went on to criticize Canadian policies on lumber and energy, and said that Canada, and not just Mexico, has made the North America Free Trade Agreement a “disaster for our country.”

“We can’t let Canada or anybody else take advantage and do what they did to our workers and to our farmers,” Trump said. “And again, I want to also just mention, included in there is lumber — timber — and energy. So we’re going to have to get to the negotiating table with Canada very, very quickly.”

How quick is quick?
All of Central and South America is looking to develop their slums so they resemble a humane place to live and not work. The US is for the US so if we want to survive we need new trading partners that is based on manufactured good of high quality. Quebec has a surplus of asbestos that cannot be sold anywhere at any price if Canadian health standards were in place. Rather than make a marketable product that is considered 'safe and long lasting' but also recyclable several times before it is 'rubble'. Shipping container is looking for a composite that is strong and light and with a high R-Value in some cases. When not in use as a shipping container the shell could be stacked 100 high on 1 container and the structural support would be on 3 other container loads. Assemble as required. Asbestos mixed into a 'fence-board' composite is not dangerous unless the board is fractured and even then the re-sealing is quite easy and effective. Mexico and all points south need housing and business facilities that are modular in design.
Canada has access to the Pacific Ocean and the current that flows south so shipping can be done at rock bottom prices as even the containers are kept and used at the shipping destination so traffic is one way. Cars built by Ford in Baja can be shipped to South America in a contract that would be decades long and parts supply would be why the same design works so well. Canad has the plastic used in composites and in the tropics mildew and insects are eliminated. Malaria doesn't have to be recovered from if you never catch the fever in the first place.

Let's say Canada has some money and Mexico has some products for sale that are 'fabric based' and a common problem for both locations is high humidity and poor air circulation. Add some 'food' and the conditions are ripe for it to becoming harmful to people rather than being helpful.. Dip said fabric in a suitable solution, such as borax, and once used in construction the trace amounts would remain in the corners where mold would start should the area become damp and not dry out for an extended period of time. That would be helpful in the tropics as well as the far north where fungus growth is a constant battle. House sprinklers in the tropics might be using a borax solution as well as when it dries and insects pick it up it sterilizes them so a pest is also eliminated as a bonus.

These days the Govt of Canada and Quebec is content to skirt around trade laws and ship it as a raw fiber in places like India where is is handled by hand many times before it is in final use. The owners of the houses and plants in Quebec are asbestos free structures.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Canada really did get fukked over on softwood lumber. No doubt about it.

Well, y'all shouldn't have dressed in that short skirt and skimpy top.
 
MHz
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Canada really did get fukked over on softwood lumber. No doubt about it.

You have no idea how much white spruce we have do you?? Weed stage x22 = modest estimate. You need freezing temps to make harvesting possible.
Granted, wrapped in plastic would give it balsa wood weight and strength of some form of hardwood so it's full potential was never explored. (made into bendy shapes that hardwood could never achieve.) IKEAII.CA for the home user as it fits on the sleigh as you move from igloo to igloo.
Mexico would also love all our flax products as they resist damage from high humidity. The fabric is strong and long lasting and pretty much a waste product as seeds are the product captured.

Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Well, y'all shouldn't have dressed in that short skirt and skimpy top.

Really?? How skimpy are we talking here?
 
Tecumsehsbones
#7
Take your pills.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
+4
#8  Top Rated Post
Donald Trump is enchanted with the sound of his own voice. Too bad there are so many mindless idiots who are too....
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Donald Trump is enchanted with the sound of his own voice. Too bad there are so many mindless idiots who are too....

We prefer the term "Real Americans."
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

We prefer the term "Real Americans."

Everyone from Baffin Island to Tierra del Fuego are real Americans.
 
Twila
#11
He's desperate to make a name for himself...

too bad he's such a sh!t business person.
 
petros
+1
#12
Have you ever driven to Washington for, gas, milk and cheese?

You have I have and the majority of people in the Lower Mainland who can cross the boarder have and will do again.

Most Canadians close to the border do too.

Think about why we do it
 
Twila
#13
why?
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#14


It's like the White House has become a blend of the 3 stooges, Hee Haw, and the Dukes of Hazzard !!!
America must be so embarrassed
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post



It's like the White House has become a blend of the 3 stooges, Hee Haw, and the Dukes of Hazzard !!!
America must be so embarrassed

Cue banjos. . .
 
petros
+2
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

why?

Maybe just maybe you'll clue the f-ck in.

Why do you and shitloads of Canadians drive to another country for milk and cheese?

Is there something wrong with ours? Is theirs better?

Or is it so cheap it pays to buy dairy products when you go buy your weekly tank of gas for 30% less?

Why is it so cheap and we pay out the ass?

It's because of the hidden Dairy Elite

The Illmoominati.
 
Twila
+3
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Maybe just maybe you'll clue the f-ck in.

Why do you and shitloads of Canadians drive to another country for milk and cheese?

Is there something wrong with ours? Is theirs better?

Or is it so cheap it pays to buy dairy products when you go buy your weekly tank of gas for 30% less?

Why is it so cheap and we pay out the ass?

It's because of the hidden Dairy Elite

The Illmoominati.

I don't go to the states to buy food of any kind or gas from the states. I prefer to support my fellow Canadians whenever I possibly can.

It's highly unlikely that anything coming from you is a clue to anything. How do you make it through doorways with that giant head of yours?
 
petros
#18
Bullshit!
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#19
You bullshit your way through doorways?

That actually makes an odd kind of sense.
 
petros
#20
We've already talked about this.

I wonder why you short term memory issues?

Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

You bullshit your way through doorways?

That actually makes an odd kind of sense.

Twila? She probably just flirts but calls herself a feminist.

I guess you are right for once.
 
Twila
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Bullshit!

Why would I drive that far and waste my time in a border line up to save a couple of dollars on some crappy cheese and milk? I don't drink milk and I don't eat enough cheese to make that effort worthwhile.

You were wrong about my shopping in the states. Get over it. It's not the end of the world.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

We've already talked about this.

I wonder why you short term memory issues?


Twila? She probably just flirts but calls herself a feminist.

I guess you are right for once.

And you are a pig's anus as always.

Still, full marks for consistency.
 
petros
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Why would I drive that far and waste my time in a border line up to save a couple of dollars on some crappy cheese and milk? I don't drink milk and I don't eat enough cheese to make that effort worthwhile.

You were wrong about my shopping in the states. Get over it. It's not the end of the world.

That far? It's closer than where you work and easier to get to. You already said you've done it. That is why it's bullshit.
 
Twila
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

That far? It's closer than where you work and easier to get to. You already said you've done it. That is why it's bullshit.

bullshit.

ps, I no longer work in bby. sooo..pfft!
 
Corduroy
+3
#25
Canada better watch out. We all learned from Trump's brilliantly executed health care bill that the man is a master negotiator. Maybe we should send Brian Mulroney to Mar-a-Lago to serenade Trump with Irish folk songs.
 
petros
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

bullshit.

ps, I no longer work in bby. sooo..pfft!

Was it too far?
 
Murphy
Conservative
#27
I love negotiations.

So Donald talks tough. Meh. He's just getting ready to negotiate a new deal. Hey, he's a new dealer! Ha ha!

Canada, don't worry 'bout it. All trade deals start like that. Tis nothing.
 
Twila
+1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by MurphyView Post

I love negotiations.

So Donald talks tough. Meh. He's just getting ready to negotiate a new deal. Hey, he's a new dealer! Ha ha!

Canada, don't worry 'bout it. All trade deals start like that. Tis nothing.

I agree. AND given that it's trump...lol. well nothing more really needs to be said.
 
petros
#29
Is it fair that Canadian milk processors can bypass the quota price consumers are forced to pay to subsidize producers and also buy at market price from anywhere in the planet but the US and sell that yogurt to you at the same price as quota sourced milk?
 
Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
#30
That damn comb over is almost as bad as Big Erns on the movie Kingpin. With his kind of cash he could get that Bosley treatment. .

By gawd now I do feel secure we got Kid Rock and Ted 'shoot eveyone " Nugent in the loop. .
 
no new posts