Roe vs Wade.. will it be up for debate again?

B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
Roe vs Wade.. will it be up for debate again?

The incoming Trump-Pence administration has promised to do everything in its power to overturn the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision that decriminalized abortion on January 22, 1973. The paths to doing so are complicated, but the actions of a 115th Congress dominated by vehement anti-abortion legislators thus far confirm reproductive justice advocates' concerns that the right to end a pregnancy is in jeopardy.

Now that he has his new judge appointed, Neil Gorsuch, it looks like little will stand in his way.

What do you think? Discuss.

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/1379...-automatically (external - login to view)

mentalfloss
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
They won't criminalise abortion.

They can't even get executive orders to pass.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Let's say they overturn Roe. That would take us back to the status quo ante, which presumably would lead to states where the majority of legislators are obsessed with punishing fornication with pregnancy to outlaw abortion at the same time they cut funding for children's health and well-being. In states run by adults, abortion would remain legal.

So the next step would be to pass a Federal law against abortion, which may or may not be struck down by the courts. If it were, then I imagine the step after that would be to pass a Federal law against interstate travel to procure an abortion. Then, what with marijuana becoming more and more legal, they could transfer the dope goons to the pregnancy goon squad, and start shooting pregnant women and doctors.

Fun times.

B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
Back to rusty clothes hangers in back alleys

Making America Great Again..

bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker
I don't know why this is an issue that just won't go away, oh yeah, extremists. Right off the bat I'll admit I'm pretty much a pro lifer, but this has turned into black and white almost from the get go. The SCC struck down our cc laws prohibiting abortion decades ago, and I'm sure Roe v Wade had the same effect, though I don't know squat about US law. What it means here is that there is no law regarding abortion, period. Fair enough, I am also somewhat of a libertarian and it really is none of my business what women, or anyone for that matter wants to do with their body, just don't make it my business, I think that's only fair.

Somehow the pro choice groups got it into their heads that they now have a right to abortion, which in a sense they do insofar as I have the right to get a tattoo. But they also got it into their heads that the state, meaning you and I, should have to pay for it. That now makes it my business. The idea that abortion is being used as a means of birth control disgusts me considering so many other less harmful options exist. But even the mention of this brings out the extremists with the "what about rape or incest victims?" rant derailing any debate.

The pro life side also has its extremists what with the shock value of gruesome pictures and displays and such, I put them in the same pile as PETA, that should say enough.

Years ago I never gave the issue a second thought until it was time for me to move back West for the third time. A young cousin, I think she was 15 or 16, was pregnant and considering terminating, it was in a small Northern Ontario town where everyone knew everybody's business, especially family. I dropped in to visit for a couple hours and just chatted with her, she and her boyfriend had broken up and she was at wit's end. My extended family is somewhat dysfunctional, quite judgmental with a bit of a racist bent so she was not in a good place. But we talked, I really offered no more advice than to really think about it and give the guy another chance and I would support her in any choice she made. And as fooked up as our family is, they will not abandon you in times of need.

She had that child, married the guy and two more, moved to Southern Ontario, got really good jobs and are both set to retire this year. She is eternally grateful, and so am I.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduynView Post

I don't know why this is an issue that just won't go away, oh yeah, extremists. Right off the bat I'll admit I'm pretty much a pro lifer, but this has turned into black and white almost from the get go. The SCC struck down our cc laws prohibiting abortion decades ago, and I'm sure Roe v Wade had the same effect, though I don't know squat about US law. What it means here is that there is no law regarding abortion, period. Fair enough, I am also somewhat of a libertarian and it really is none of my business what women, or anyone for that matter wants to do with their body, just don't make it my business, I think that's only fair.

Somehow the pro choice groups got it into their heads that they now have a right to abortion, which in a sense they do insofar as I have the right to get a tattoo. But they also got it into their heads that the state, meaning you and I, should have to pay for it. That now makes it my business. The idea that abortion is being used as a means of birth control disgusts me considering so many other less harmful options exist. But even the mention of this brings out the extremists with the "what about rape or incest victims?" rant derailing any debate.

I think the point is that now that we've decided abortion is a right, it should be treated like any other medical procedure. Is it therapeutic or optional. If it's therapeutic, it's no more your business than cancer therapy or an appendectomy. If it's optional or cosmetic,then whatever agency runs your health care makes the call.

Being pro-death myself, I'm pretty comfortable with that.

Quote:

The pro life side also has its extremists what with the shock value of gruesome pictures and displays and such, I put them in the same pile as PETA, that should say enough.

Yeah, the problem is everybody argues the extreme case. If you favor allowing abortion, the nose-in-your-pants crowd will scream that you want ninth-month partial-birth abortions for sex selection. If you oppose abortion, the screaming meemies will shriek that you want to force an eleven-year-old girl impregnated by incestuous rape to carry her deformed baby to term at extreme risk to her own life.

Meh, screamers. Got 'em on every topic.

Quote:

Years ago I never gave the issue a second thought until it was time for me to move back West for the third time. A young cousin, I think she was 15 or 16, was pregnant and considering terminating, it was in a small Northern Ontario town where everyone knew everybody's business, especially family. I dropped in to visit for a couple hours and just chatted with her, she and her boyfriend had broken up and she was at wit's end. My extended family is somewhat dysfunctional, quite judgmental with a bit of a racist bent so she was not in a good place. But we talked, I really offered no more advice than to really think about it and give the guy another chance and I would support her in any choice she made. And as fooked up as our family is, they will not abandon you in times of need.

She had that child, married the guy and two more, moved to Southern Ontario, got really good jobs and are both set to retire this year. She is eternally grateful, and so am I.

I'm glad it worked out for them. Nice story, cheered me up some. Thanks.

bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

I think the point is that now that we've decided abortion is a right, it should be treated like any other medical procedure. Is it therapeutic or optional. If it's therapeutic, it's no more your business than cancer therapy or an appendectomy. If it's optional or cosmetic,then whatever agency runs your health care makes the call.

Being pro-death myself, I'm pretty comfortable with that.

Yeah, the problem is everybody argues the extreme case. If you favor allowing abortion, the nose-in-your-pants crowd will scream that you want ninth-month partial-birth abortions for sex selection. If you oppose abortion, the screaming meemies will shriek that you want to force an eleven-year-old girl impregnated by incestuous rape to carry her deformed baby to term at extreme risk to her own life.

Meh, screamers. Got 'em on every topic.

I'm glad it worked out for them. Nice story, cheered me up some. Thanks.

Yeah, the missus dropped in and I got sidetracked, forgot to mention that I have no issue at all if there is a bona fide need either for mother's health or cases like rape and incest, but sex selection (yuck) or convenience should be considered elective and not have the state involved.

I also missed a word, I meant my cousin had two more kids, not married two more guys, our family is fooked, but not that fooked .

no new posts