Boycott America?

mentalfloss
Boycott America?

Any increase in global temperature greater than 2ºC, scientists agree, risks triggering feedback loops that cause much greater warming and could render large parts of the planet uninhabitable. For example, further warming would release large quantities of methane – a more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide – from thawing Siberian permafrost, leading to more warming, more thawing, and more methane in the atmosphere. Similarly, warming causes the loss of arctic ice, which means that less of the sun’s heat is reflected back rather than being absorbed by the ocean.

The Paris climate agreement has no mechanism for sanctioning countries that fail to fulfill their pledges. The idea is that such countries will be “named and shamed.” Well before Trump was elected president, however, when the notorious video in which he boasted of groping women became public, it was obvious that he is immune to shame. What, then, can other countries, and individuals, whether in the US or beyond its borders, do about the fact that Trump is jeopardizing the future of us all, for many generations to come?

If the US uses the cheapest available fuels to produce energy, irrespective of the harm that burning those fuels does to others, it is giving its companies an unfair advantage over those elsewhere that are making a good-faith effort to reduce their greenhouse-gas emissions and meet their Paris pledges. That should be enough for the World Trade Organization to allow other countries to erect trade barriers against US goods. If, however, the WTO is not brave enough to take that step, the remedy is in the hands of foreign consumers, who should show the Trump administration what they think of its policies by choosing not to buy American.

A boycott is a blunt instrument that would, regrettably, harm many US workers who did not vote for Trump and are in no way responsible for his policies. But with so much at stake, and such limited means of changing Trump’s policies, what else is there to do?

https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...singer-2017-04 (external - login to view)

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
OMG!!... Another ice-free North pole by 2013?!?

... Won't anyone think of the children?!

mentalfloss
Okay, so we have one person on board.

Any other takers?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Okay, so we have one person on board.

Any other takers?

By 'we', you're obviously referring to you and your many schizo personalities, right?

petros
Is the about global warming or Trump hatred?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

By 'we', you're obviously referring to you and your many schizo personalities, right?

How many is many?

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1
Resurrect the underground railroad. Bring in millions of Yankies to populate the north west territories. Soon we will be able to farm up there. People want to escape the dreaded Donald but are afraid. Let's make it easy for them.

petros
+3
#8  Top Rated Post
Oh hey check this out, I finally got an age for "the record". It's only 66 years.

Quote:

It was the "gloomiest" March in Vancouver since record-keeping began in 1951, with only 70.5 total hours of sunshine in the entire month, according to Environment Canada.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

How many is many?

Well, 3 alter persona would be considered many for the public at large however in psychiatrist circles, there is The Flossy Clause which stipulates that 17 is the standard number for Flossy (et al)

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Resurrect the underground railroad. Bring in millions of Yankies to populate the north west territories. Soon we will be able to farm up there. People want to escape the dreaded Donald but are afraid. Let's make it easy for them.

Not even 8AM and your ripped out of you mind.

Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

too fawking cold

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

too fawking cold

Warmest in 66 years.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

too fawking cold

Not if you believe flossy and the other truthers. According to them the Arctic will look like Miami in just a few years. Buy your beachfront now while it is cheap. Remember you heard it from a globule warming truther so it must be true.

Cliffy
Free Thinker

too fawking cold

global warming, dude.

petros
You are older than "the record".

Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
I like it warm like the desert southwest.

petros
Head south.

Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
+1

Head south.

I plan on it as soon as I get relatively stable.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+2
So nwhy are the ecoterrorists not boycotting China? Oh right China put up a solar panel. While in the US the solar power scammers pretty much all went bankrupt when their subsidies got pulled.
And then there is Germany where they burn brown coal.But the chosen all drive beemers.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

No, I meant you as well.

You're Canadian, right?

Not even 8AM and your ripped out of you mind.

Are you high?

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
A real Canadian would not boycott US products. Only someone that hates freedom and democracy would do that.

mentalfloss
+1
Donald Trump wasn't democratically elected and he's a tyrant.

petros
+1
He too is older than the record and he indeed was elected President.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

No, I meant you as well.

You're Canadian, right?

It's adorable how you assume to speak on behalf of all Canadians.

mentalfloss
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

It's adorable how you assume to speak on behalf of all Canadians.

I don't.

I just like to point out his support regardless of what he says.

petros
So you speak for yourselves as suggested?

mentalfloss
+1
You're still high.

Oh wait, I meant

Your still high.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
Pete was making certain to include all of your personalities... Don't want to ignore anyone, right?

mentalfloss
+1
Shouldn't you be moving to the US before your carbon tax hits?

Taxes kill business you know.

petros
When are all of you moving to flee climate change?