Tourism to the US has 'fallen off a cliff'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
MABA

Interest in travel to the US has “fallen off a cliff” since Donald Trump’s election, according to travel companies who have reported a significant drop in flight searches and bookings since his inauguration and controversial travel ban.

Data released this week by travel search engine Kayak reported a 58% decline in searches for flights to Tampa and Orlando from the UK, and a 52% decline in searches for Miami. Searches for San Diego were also down 43%, Las Vegas by 36% and Los Angeles 32%.

Though flight prices are holding firm (they usually take weeks rather than days to adjust to consumer trends), Kayak has identified a knock-on effect on average hotel prices. It found prices in Las Vegas are down by 39% and New York City by 32%.

It is the latest in a string of reports from the travel industry that suggests a “Trump slump”, with the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) estimating that since being elected President Trump has cost the US travel industry $185m in lost revenue.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/feb/28/us-tourism-experiences-a-trump-slump

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Great news. Heading down to Phoenix again in May to watch some ball (celebrating a friend's birthday). Should be some great deals.

I guess Trump is MAGA. He's just doing it for Canadian travelers.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
It started a popularly-known decline since 9-11, but that decline had probably stabilized long before Trump came to power. Trump is just provoking a deeper decline.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This is fantastic news!

Many foreign "tourists" get US tourists visas and overstay their visa... then they become illegal immigrants.

MAGA!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
should be interesting to see what happens in the tech industry there.

Google, Lockheed Martin, Nasa, etc have many many employees in the high tech field whom are from Iran.

I use to work with a number of Iranian physicists. Guess they won't be making any more trips.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Google, Lockheed Martin, Nasa, etc have many many employees in the high tech field whom are from Iran.

I use to work with a number of Iranian physicists. Guess they won't be making any more trips.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Twila used to work with a number of Iranian physicists?

We had no idea you once drove a Cab. ;)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Twila used to work with a number of Iranian physicists?

We had no idea you once drove a Cab. ;)

yes, stereotypical.

High tech Canadian companies hire smart people with degrees. Iran has some very smart people.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Medical and yeah I know about scientists. I am one who works at Sino Fraser and there aren't that many Persians or Arabs.

oh well, you must know all the universities professors all over Canada then...

and of course, you know all the scientists in Canada too.

silly me...I forgot how you think you know everything...lol

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Trumpites don't care about siily economic issues