Amid storm of Trump developments, a call for calmer, more centrist media

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
because they ain't gonna win, that's for sure.

It isn't as though the press has been flipping out over nothing since Donald Trump took office. Every day, something contentious, unconventional and culture-wars combustible seems to come out of Washington.

Sunday, tens of thousands protested at airports nationwide — including BWI Thurgood Marshall — against an executive order aimed at suspending immigration from seven countries with large Muslim populations.

Monday, Trump abruptly fired an assistant attorney general who said she would not defend that order.

Tuesday, the president made a prime-time announcement of his nominee to replace Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court, with Democrats in the Senate immediately threatening a filibuster. Trump responded on Wednesday by urging Republicans to "go nuclear" if that happens — meaning, to eliminate the filibuster.

There is nothing ho-hum about any of that. They all have potentially huge implications for the kind of country we, our children and grandchildren will live in.

mo

Amid storm of Trump developments, a call for calmer, more centrist media - Baltimore Sun

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I cannot fault that report.

The points raised were valid. It is the presses job to responsibly report the news. They are not the National Enquirer (although I am waiting for their first 'President Trump is an Alien Baby' headline).

I had forgotten about Nixon's little dance with the Justice Dept. It was nice to hear someone state that if you think Trump is doing something illegal, investigate properly. Do your job responsibly and don't go over the top. Help your fellow citizens understand the new administration. You do not work for a tabloid.

Good link, Locutus.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Amid storm of Trump developments, a call for calmer, more centrist media

... or else the President is going to shut you down!

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
The use of the word was correct.

Noun: An uproar or controversy. A tumultous reaction.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
No matter how you attempt to twist the original post, the use of the word 'storm' was correct.

It is not necessary to troll. You could simply have said, "I don't agree with the author's statements. Here's why."

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Maybe so, but the journalist in the posted article was addressing other journalists. Advising them to act responsibly.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
No matter how you attempt to twist the original post, the use of the word 'storm' was correct.

It is not necessary to troll. You could simply have said, "I don't agree with the author's statements. Here's why."

The use of the word storm is indeed correct and quite appropriate. The use of the word calm contradicts the word storm.
So you see, a storm is being created yet the press are being asked to be calm.
Irony is a literary device and the fact I noted it was used in the headline does in no way indicate my disagreement with the use of the word storm.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Maybe so, but the journalist in the posted article was addressing other journalists. Advising them to act responsibly.
Does it really matter of people if going to The National Enquirer and Faux news for their information?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
eh1eh, my response was to cc. His post was immediately above that response.

Does it really matter of people if going to The National Enquirer and Faux news for their information?

His response was directed at other media people, not the general readership.