Kellyanne Conway made up a fake terrorist attack to justify Muslim ban

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Kellyanne Conway made up a fake terrorist attack to justify Muslim ban

In an interview with MSNBC’s Chris Matthews that aired on Thursday night, Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway managed to get two huge things wrong in a short, 19-second answer. First, she said that the Obama administration banned Iraqi refugees from entering in the United States for six months in 2011 — which is flatly untrue.

Second, and more significantly, she made up a terrorist attack committed by Iraqi refugees that never happened — the “Bowling Green Massacre”:

Joe Sonka is, to be clear, 100 percent correct about this. There has never been a terrorist attack in Bowling Green, Kentucky committed by Iraqi refugees.

Conway claims that “most people don't know that because it didn't get covered.” Most people don’t know about it because it didn’t happen.

Where Conway is coming from (I think)
In 2011, two Iraqi refugees, Waad Ramadan Alwan and Mohanad Shareef Hammadi, were arrested in Bowling Green, KY, on federal terrorism charges. Allegedly, they had been plotting to send money and weapons back home to Iraqi insurgents.

During the investigation, the FBI found something worrying: fingerprints from Alwan on a roadside bomb in Iraq. This suggested there was a very specific flaw in America’s refugee screening process: Databases of fingerprints from Iraqi militants were not well-integrated into the broader State Department–run refugee admissions process. As a result, the Obama administration initiated a new review of all roughly 57,000 Iraqi refugees who had been recently admitted into the United States.

This process was manpower- and time-intensive, and resulted in a significant slowdown in Iraqi refugee admissions to the United States for six months. But it was not a ban, as Conway, Trump, and many in the conservative media claimed: Refugees from Iraq entered the United States in all six months.

So, to recap:

No one was killed by refugees in Bowling Green.
There was never even a plan to kill anyone in Bowling Green.
There was no ban on Iraqi refugee admissions afterwards.
It is, I suppose, possible that Conway was referring to the other Bowling Green Massacre, which is a local haunted house.

http://www.vox.com/world/2017/2/2/14494478/bowling-green-massacre

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
So, the question remains:

What do we do about blatant lies and deception?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There's much to be angry about when your life sucks... or so I've been told. I wouldn't know
Yes your life is so full you spend the day trolling the internet telling whoever will listen how smart you are .

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yes your life is so full you spend the day trolling the internet telling whoever will listen how smart you are .
He can't figure out that some people have to actually work for a living
and that his trolling is actually pretty childish as is his repetitious vocabulary... Sniff and silly and trumpite.....used ad nauseum !

I think he's dead.
There is other media playground besides this forum.....Hello?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
19 seconds, is that a new record for the shortest interview ever. Lawyers doing the rebuttal is pretty stupid as they will say anything to justify their high rate of pay. What big threat was there from Iraq that is bigger than ISIS being disbanded and the soldiers being spitited away to unsuspecting nations. That would include the 12 year old who can break down a military rifle and put it back together while blindfolded. That is who Trump is trying to stop and the paperwork is all that is needed to spot them.

Big differences between Trump's immigration ban, Obama's 2011 policy - Business Insider
"My policy is similar to what President Obama did in 2011 when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq for six months," the statement said. "The seven countries named in the Executive Order are the same countries previously identified by the Obama administration as sources of terror."
But lawyers and former Obama administration officials have since criticized the comparison, arguing that the 2011 immigration restrictions, during which Obama administration slowed its processing of Iraqi refugee applications, was fundamentally different in intent and logistics. Politifact rated the comparison "mostly false," saying Trump's ban was much broader than the previous administration's and did not respond to a specific threat.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
His head blow up? Wouldn't surprise me. You can't mix that much ego with that much horse shyte without courting disaster

... or making fun of wingnuts
The only fun is showing the world how high of regard you hold yourself in . However you are only fooling yourself , every one else on these forums knows you are actually clamoring for attention .

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
... showing the world how high of regard you hold yourself in...

You are mistaken for the umpteenth time. I don't hold myself in high regard. I'm just an average schmuck. I can understand how it would appear that I am better than everybody else but that's only because you're comparing me to the simpletons here.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
every one else on these forums knows you are actually clamoring for attention .

he's a lonely boy, an attention hound. that much is true. thankfully not as much autistic screeching as his youthful ward mentalcuck.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You just sniffily sniffing because I've proven you like NDP left-wing policies. I'd feel pretty stupid to, if I were you