So At What Point, Exactly, Did You Become This Colossal Bitch?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
As noted here recently, it’s remarkable just how often “social justice” activism is difficult to distinguish from spite and petty malice. If another example is needed, here’s how some educators at Marquette University plan to cope with a visit from Ben Shapiro:

Chrissy Nelson, the programme assistant at the Centre for Gender and Sexualities Studies, claimed that she “just got off the phone with one of the directors of diversity on campus” and received a suggestion to reserve a seat as a student to “take a seat away from someone who would actually go” and then not attend the event. “This is what I will be advising students to do,” she adds. “Take a seat away from a student that would be interested in going.”

Remember, this isn’t the plotting of a moody and vindictive teenager. It’s a supposedly adult member of staff. One employed by the university’s Centre for Gender and Sexualities Studies, the stated goal of which is “the pursuit of knowledge and dialogue.” And hence the attempt to ensure that no-one gets to hear a speaker with whom Ms Nelson disagrees. Before devoting her energies to sabotaging other people’s evenings, Ms Nelson majored in “sociology and social justice,” which may explain her enacting of that great egalitarian maxim, “I don’t like, so you can’t have.”

Note the unspoken but blatant disdain for any students who might wish to hear Shapiro speak and ask him questions, or who might want to challenge him on some point - an activity he encourages with lengthy Q&A sessions. Ms Nelson is quite happy to deny all of those students that chance, by overriding their preferences in an underhand manner and imposing her own, selfish will. It’s the antithesis of what a university is supposed to be about, and yet it’s an attitude that’s increasingly come to define what that institution now is.

davidthompson: So At What Point, Exactly, Did You Become This Colossal Bitch?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
That's the problem I've always had with the Left. If you aren't with them lock stock and barrel, then screw off. There's no 'agree to disagree' and move on.

There's smug, hypocritical and exclusionary arseholes on the Right as well but it's not as predominant I find.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Ah yes.... another spiteful post from Loc full of petty malice, whining about spite and petty malice

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
But I STILL like Ludlow, Cliffy, Cannuck, mentalfloss and T-Bone just the same... :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMjtvSABQ3Q

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Ah yes.... another spiteful post from Loc full of petty malice, whining about spite and petty malice

LOL......in point of fact it is your post that is full of spite, Cannuck......that and accusations that have no basis in fact. If universities are failing in their duty to be bastions of free and open speech that they are supposed to be, then that needs to be brought into the light.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
LOL......in point of fact it is your post that is full of spite, Cannuck......that and accusations that have no basis in fact. If universities are failing in their duty to be bastions of free and open speech that they are supposed to be, then that needs to be brought into the light.

The actions of the universities have nothing to do with Loc's whiny sniff sniffityness. He was just born that way

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
LOL......in point of fact it is your post that is full of spite, Cannuck.

that bedwetter is too easily triggered.

anyway, nothing says commitment to free speech like actively working to prevent students from hearing it.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Cannuck wrote...

"I'm one of the few fiscal conservatives on this forum. Shows how little you know."

I apologize. But you're just so effeminate, if you ever went missing they'd put your face on a carton of half n' half.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Shapiro is a bright guy. He graduated UCLA at age 20, and Harvard Law School at age 23. He wrote his first book, Brainwashed: How Universities Indoctrinate America's Youth, at age 17.

He can be a little too far right for me to always agree with him, but his handling of SJW idiots is a joy to watch.He got a lot of attention for an interview he did on Dr. Drew, the essence of which is the reason SJW gender studies profs hate his guts. In that case, Shapiro was absolutely correct.

I'd go see him in a minute.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Cannuck...

You should stop being so brash in your posts, and try to get along better with folks here. A nice frame can do wonders for an average painting.