US bill to prevent Trump from launching nuclear war

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Democrats introduce a bill to prevent Donald Trump from launching a nuclear war

Senator Ed Markey and Rep. Ted Lieu introduced legislation intended to prevent President Donald Trump from using nuclear weapons in a first-strike scenario without the explicit approval of Congress on Tuesday.

The legislation is titled the "Restricting First Use of Nuclear Weapons Act of 2017." The two legislators issued a press statement on the bill co-signed by William Perry, who served as secretary of defense in former President Bill Clinton's administration.

It's not idle speculation Trump might not quite know how to handle the U.S. nuclear arsenal. Throughout the campaign season, Trump appeared not to grasp basic aspects of nuclear policy like the nuclear triad, the U.S. doctrine of maintaining nuclear weapons on land, sea and air. He's repeatedly suggested U.S. forces could use nuclear weapons in the field — despite the fact doing so could both kill millions and trigger retaliatory strikes that kill even more — and thinks the military should be "unpredictable" with nuclear weapons, a tactic that if adopted would undermine the doctrine of mutually assured destruction.

https://m.mic.com/articles/166562/d...trump-from-launching-a-nuclear-war#.XT7lLzaWv

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What are the odds that this legislation goes anywhere? It seems pointlessly stupid to me.

Why don't they focus on an actual issue, instead of somebody's phobias?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
trump has done so much already in a couple days, that he has made their silly retarbledness is now redundant
they don't even know they have darwinated themselves
lol
dar lose inated rather
:)

oh, this is so much fun to watch

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The world is so much greater now.

I can just feel the greatness thrust upon us like a breeze from an illustrious meadow neath the mountain.

China ‘deploys missiles’ amid calls for more nuclear weapons to deter Donald Trump
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.teleg...clear-weapons-deter-donald/amp/?client=safari

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Looks like idiocy is running rampant this morning! :)

Er... no. The idea that the President of the US can launch a first strike without any authorization to do so is ludicrous, regardless of who is president. I bet even many Republicans will support this bill with enthusiasm.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Er... no. The idea that the President of the US can launch a first strike without any authorization to do so is ludicrous, regardless of who is president. I bet even many Republicans will support this bill with enthusiasm.

I just didn't think anyone who is interested in making the country "great again" is likely to embark on blowing anyone up! :)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I just didn't think anyone who is interested in making the country "great again" is likely to embark on blowing anyone up! :)

Perhaps. But I would have supported such a Bill even under Obama, one of the least likely presidents to launch a first strike. We just never know whom the people might vote for. Even if we trust that Trump would never do such a thing, what about the president who follows in his footsteps. Nukes are serious business and not some partisan football.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So, let me ask this. Do you honestly think a bill would prevent a president from doing this?

How do you think that would work?

The soldier who receives the call would now have to confirm either that it is a response to an enemy strike or that it is authorized by Congress before he launches. Right now, he just has to obey orders.

Presumably, there would be an automated system confirming on a screen that an enemy strike has been confirmed that he would first need to verify. Without that, he'd have to reject the President's order as per the law.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
you do not know they were not nuclear strikes.
with the packages and the reporting and the lack of truthfulness they have today...
i doubt we would see it on the news
and besides obomba's other idol said it best: