It's Time for Twitter To Ban Donald Trump

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It's Time for Twitter To Ban Donald Trump

He's the commander-in-chief of trolls, an angry toddler who uses Twitter to exact petty revenge on his enemies and who can send the United States into a tailspin in 140 characters. It's time to shut his primary mode of communication down for good.

Two nights ago, Meryl Streep used her Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award acceptance speech at the Golden Globes to speak out in favor of kindness, decency and the arts. Maybe you heard that what she really did was indirectly attack incoming president and walking constitutional crisis Donald Trump. Well, yeah, she did, but that's largely because he's proven himself unkind, indecent and a strident opponent of the arts and all they typically stand for to an extreme that's difficult to put into words. Some people are praising Streep's public stand while others are predictably telling her that Hollywood types should stick to being entertainers and not burden America with their political opinions. (Many in this latter group, without a hint of irony, voted to make a reality TV star president, but that's for another time.)

Streep's statement was a bit of a surprise. The instantaneous reaction to it from both sides of the political divide wasn't. Neither, of course, was the 100% inevitable response from Donald Trump, remember, the man who will be inaugurated as President of the United States in ten days and who you'd presume would have better things to do than get into a tiff with an actress. A little while later, the relentless stream of pea-brain farts that is Trump's Twitter feed was turned in the direction of Streep. Film critic Richard Roeper had, not long after Streep's speech, predicted that Trump would call her "overrated," and that's exactly what he did (although he unnecessarily hyphenated the word, because he's an illiterate idiot). "Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn't know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes," he wrote, as if she'd taken the stage and burned him in effigy.

To reiterate -- because even after so many instances of this kind of crap it's still shocking -- the president elect, who's less a serious adult than he is an angry toddler without an ounce of self-control, felt the need to respond to perceived criticism from a movie star with juvenile name-calling. He wasn't holding a press conference to react to, say, a threat made by a hostile entity against the United States. No, he was firing off a tweet at three in the morning -- he was awake dwelling on what the mean lady from Hollywood had said about him at three in the ****ing morning -- because he felt that he absolutely had to "defend himself" against someone who made a plea for civility from his soon-to-be-office. That's the behavior, again, of a child, not of someone who's about to become, unthinkably, the second most powerful person on the planet (after Vladimir Putin).

http://thedailybanter.com/2017/01/twitter-ban-trump/

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Nope, let him go. He is quite amusing. And it will be very entertaining as he takes office and has to live with the fallout from his comments.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Exactly. We can't be treading on free speech rights simply because someone lacks the maturity and discipline to use those rights responsibly. He has the right to make an idiot of himself.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If you were to ban someone on Twitter for posting less than savoury remarks about a famous person they hate then most Twitter users would be banned.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
why don't we lobby to ban MF and all his sockkkkkkkkkkkkkkks and all his fake news at CC?
:)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
As for Streep, she once cheered a child rapist, so she deserves any nasty remarks going her way.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Judging by the breadth of his subject matter, he doesn't have much of a life
with Trump living in his head 24/7 an' all

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
everybody's gettin' mad.

better just to get on with your lives, or lack thereof.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Judging by the breadth of his subject matter, he doesn't have much of a life
with Trump living in his head 24/7 an' all
Yes he has Trump derangement syndrome like a few other regulars on these boards .

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Why does anybody care about Twitter at all?

I care. We are going to view a few show homes in the Phoenix area tomorrow, just for shytes and giggles. Back in '08, I had lots of friends pick up brand new homes situated on golf courses for $60k CDN. I want my ducks in a row for when the bottom falls out again. I know it's somewhat selfish of me but Americans did it to themselves.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I care. We are going to view a few show homes in the Phoenix area tomorrow, just for shytes and giggles. Back in '08, I had lots of friends pick up brand new homes situated on golf courses for $60k CDN. I want my ducks in a row for when the bottom falls out again. I know it's somewhat selfish of me but Americans did it to themselves.

What does any of this have to do with Twitter?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I wonder who would be trying to buy them out? Doh.

Twitter Takeover: Here's Why Its Share Price Is Plummeting | Fortune.com
The word "roller-coaster" doesn't even begin to describe the ride that Twitter shareholders have been on so far this week—and it's not over yet by a long shot.First, the company's share price price (twtr, -0.41%) zoomed higher early in the week on reports that the company could be a takeover target for several large tech and media companies, including Google, Disney, and Salesforce. But late Wednesday, the stock collapsed after reports that poured cold water on that initial enthusiasm.
When the stock opened for trading on Thursday morning, it was almost 20% lower than it had been the day before. That wiped more than $2 billion from the company's market capitalization.