Mexico Will Pay For Wall say Trump

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Drumpf is going to turn his friendly neighbours into enemies.

It's going to be GREAT!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Let me guess. Trump will raise tariffs on Mexican products and use the money collected from those tariffs to pay for the wall. What he won't say though is that that means that US consumers will pay more for these products. So in reality, the US consumer will pay.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Let me guess. Trump will raise tariffs on Mexican products and use the money collected from those tariffs to pay for the wall. What he won't say though is that that means that US consumers will pay more for these products. So in reality, the US consumer will pay.

If the Mexicans are smart (and they are) , they will be seeking out other trading partners to do business with, as we are. We have all of our eggs in one basket, but at as the US fades, we will go down with them if we don't look to other trade partners in Asia, Europe. The Mexicans are in the same boat ... too much trade with the US. Maybe, tearing up NAFTA helps us in the long run by forcing us to swim away from this huge sinking ship.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
My leader will make peace with Russia.

My leader will make war with China.

My leader knows that Russia is rich and China is poor.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Maybe it will look like this.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Looks like Eaglesmack and his countryman are going to get stuck withe bill if the wall ever does get built (not that it was much of a surprise to anyboby but the Trumpites).

www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/border-wall-house-republicans-donald-trump-taxpayers/index.html

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

You love taxes, this should be really exciting for you

They are and they're getting the US to build it and pay for it. Mexicans are smarter than Americans

Is Trump the bogeyman still scaring ya?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If the Mexicans are smart (and they are) , they will be seeking out other trading partners to do business with, as we are. We have all of our eggs in one basket, but at as the US fades, we will go down with them if we don't look to other trade partners in Asia, Europe. The Mexicans are in the same boat ... too much trade with the US. Maybe, tearing up NAFTA helps us in the long run by forcing us to swim away from this huge sinking ship.

Sorry, but geography matters. Just as Europe will always be the UK's most important market, so the US will always be Canada's. What the US needs to understand though is that Canada and Mexico will always be the US' most important trading partners too. The US is essentially hurting itself and its neighbours by turning its back on its neighbours, including Cuba. It all comes down to transportation costs in the end.

That said, sure Canada should promote freer trade between itself and other countries farther afield, including Australia. The UK should do the same. But these far-flung markets ought to be viewed as added bonuses, and not as replacements to trade with our neighbours. Trade between Canada and Australia will always be limited due to transportation costs.

You love taxes, this should be really exciting for you

Is Trump the bogeyman still scaring ya?

I love txes because I hate debt. Do you want government to operate on credit? Look at Greece.

2017 Planned US Aid to Mexico...

$134,644,000

:)

Why is the US government giving Mexico money? I agree with free trade of course, but given Mexico' comparative poverty, it therefore benefits from free trade more than the US does. If the US wants to promote more open borders, by all means. But I don't see why the US government should be giving money to Mexico.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Keystone will get built. As an Albertan, I'm fine with Trump. Were I an American I'd be more than just a little concerned what my tax bill's going to be in ten years

But at least their taxes will probably not go up by much if at all overall in the next four to eight. probably eight given how borrow-and-spend is the best way to win votes. Just look at Trudeau.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Let me get this straight in my mind.
A manufacturer moves his plant to Mexico so he can manufacture at lower cost. He imports his product back to the U.S. duty free and sells the product for the same price as that of products manufactured in the U.S. So his profit is greater.
If that manufacturer produces his product in the U.S. the price will rise because he has to maintain his profit level.
So the price of the product is going to go up regardless of where it is manufactured. Right?

The only question people have to ask themselves is, do we want jobs and pay higher prices or do we want to be jobless and unable to afford the product at any price.

As is stands, Mexico benefits from employment while Americans lose their jobs. The manufacturer benefits from higher profits. How does the American consumer benefit? He doesn't. He's the big loser.
So there's the dilemma.

Pay for the damned wall and keep out the illegal workers, let the manufacturer pay duty on his products or manufacture in the U.S. and be done with it.