To Kill a Mockingbird and Huckleberry Finn banned from schools in Virginia for racism

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
cucks...they keep tryin'

A US school district has banned To Kill a Mockingbird and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn after a parent complained about use of racist language.

The books were removed from classrooms and school libraries in Accomack County, Virginia.

It came after Marie Rothstein-Williams, the mother of a mixed race child, told a school board meeting: "I'm not disputing this is great literature, but there is so much racial slurs in there and offensive wording that you can’t get past that, and right now we are a nation divided as it is."

She added: “What are we teaching our children? We’re validating that these words are acceptable. They are not acceptable. Truly we are divided. We will lose our children if we continue to say that this is okay, that we validate these words when we should not."
Accomack County has 5,000 pupils in its schools and 37 per cent of them are black.

The books have been temporarily removed while a committee assesses whether they should be permanently banned.

Both Mark Twain’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird make liberal use of the n-word and have been the subject of previous campaigns to ban them from schools.

The American Library Association said removing them amounted to censorship.

To Kill a Mockingbird and Huckleberry Finn banned from schools in Virginia for racism

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Those books have been banned in Canada for decades. As well as the songs of Steven Foster and the poetry of Robert Service.
The peculiar thing is that PC wants to wipe out any unpleasantness of the past. While the black race wants to preserve their heritage and relive the horror of their bondage. But at the same time they want historical facts squelched.
Can't read about slavery!
Can't display the Confederate flag!
Can't call them Negroes!
History can't be changed. It should all be preserved, the bad as well as the good.
It's a miracle they haven't banned any references to the World Wars. The Germans and Japanese might be offended! Maybe that's why history no longer taught in depth in schools?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Those books have been banned in Canada for decades. As well as the songs of Steven Foster and the poetry of Robert Service.
The peculiar thing is that PC wants to wipe out any unpleasantness of the past. While the black race wants to preserve their heritage and relive the horror of their bondage. But at the same time they want historical facts squelched.
Can't read about slavery!
Can't display the Confederate flag!
Can't call them Negroes!
History can't be changed. It should all be preserved, the bad as well as the good.
It's a miracle they haven't banned any references to the World Wars. The Germans and Japanese might be offended! Maybe that's why history no longer taught in depth in schools?

I sure as Hell can't see any useful purpose in banning any of Robert W. Service's works. One thing you do have to be careful of these days is not to subject any of the young people to disappointment, lest they commit some murder and mayhem.

"Can't call them Negroes!" - WHY NOT?

negro is the Spanish word for black. We call them Blacks.

Mokkajava

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
There is no validation of the "words" in these books. They set the stage for the culture of racism at the time... but they are not glorified in the literature as they stand.... why are we not teaching our children this? The history of why these words are wrong to use .... why they were wrong back then but used widely.

No.... let's instead leave our children ignorant to why these are words they shouldn't use...and to great literature at the same time.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Maybe they should repatriate all blacks back to Africa so the guilty parties never have to face the guilt they should bear as a reminder to all of of of the sorid parts of the past.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
In my School District they no longer have a morning flag raising nor recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. They also do not sing the National Anthem. There is no more celebration of Christmas. That is considered a "Not politically correct" thing to do.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
With so many classics to choose from, I don't see why we should keep books that are offensive to Blacks, as parents they should have a say about books that refers to their culture as n#gers, and negative stereotypes, classic or not!! I actually read both books and they were well written and I enjoyed the movie with Gregory Peck, but does it belong in schools? Not particularly.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
In my School District they no longer have a morning flag raising nor recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. They also do not sing the National Anthem. There is no more celebration of Christmas. That is considered a "Not politically correct" thing to do.

Yes, we used to sing "God save the Queen" in the morning in school. I still belt it out when it comes up. I guess that tells you what sort of events that I attend.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
With so many classics to choose from, I don't see why we should keep books that are offensive to Blacks, as parents they should have a say about books that refers to their culture as n#gers, and negative stereotypes, classic or not!! I actually read both books and they were well written and I enjoyed the movie with Gregory Peck, but does it belong in schools? Not particularly.

There can't be anything wrong with teaching how things were in the past. If we sugar coat it then it is not history.
We can't learn from history unless we understand history.
The fact is, we aren't leaning from the past; maybe that's why!

where in Canada are any of those things banned?

In my community in Southern Ontario those things were banned from the classrooms in the '50s'..
And I am NOT going to say exactly where in Southern Ontario 'my community' is!

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
No wonder Charter Schools, involving parent defined agendas on teaching on morals, faith and the core curriculums, are now going to be promulgated by the Trump administration. The Public School System has simply gone INSANE with political correctness.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
In my community in Southern Ontario those things were banned from the classrooms in the '50s'..
And I am NOT going to say exactly where in Southern Ontario 'my community' is!

That's nice, but my daughter was reading 'Mockingbird' last week for her English class. And her older sister did the same three years ago.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Have you read any of the books by Lance Horner and Kyle Onstott? Excellent reading if you have a fairly thick skin! I think I've read them all about 30 or 40! Those books are just a true portrayal of life in the deep south in the mid- late 1800s. As the modern expression goes.............."it is what it is". No use in pretending it didn't happen!

The wing thing is an illusion.

Does anyone understand that except for you and I?