US Climate Change: The Southeast Is Burning: Wildfires Feast on Hot, Dry Region

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

The Southeast Is Burning: Wildfires Feast on Hot, Dry Region

A tinder-dry Southeast, baked by abnormally high temperatures and mired in drought, has burst into a series of deadly and destructive wildfires, including a recent one that has already killed at least three people near Gatlinburg, Tenn.

From Kentucky and Tennessee across the Carolinas to Georgia and Virginia, the National Interagency Fire Center reports 15 large wildfires that had burned at least 155,000 acres as of Tuesday. Several fires have been burning since late October, and the big one in Tennessee is among four new large fires reported by the National Interagency Fire Center.

Now being called the Chimney Top fire, it has destroyed hundreds of structures and for a time was threatening downtown Gatlinburg. The intense surge of fire activity came after weeks of drought and unusually warm temperatures across the region. The Tennessee fires have burned at least 15,000 acres in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the nation's most visited national park, which was closed as of late Tuesday.

The long drought in the Southeast left dead leaves, grass and underbrush in the forests of the Southern Appalachian Mountains tinder-dry and ready to burn with the slightest spark, said U.S. Forest Service scientist Jeff Prestemon.

"Certainly since I started studying this in 1990, I've not seen this before, this many large fires burning at the same time. But the regional data are incomplete, so it's really hard for me to say that this is unprecedented," he said.

With the world headed for what will likely be its warmest year ever, topping last year's record, the Southeast has followed that trend with its second-warmest January through October on record, according to the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI), which said that both Carolinas are also having their warmest period on record.

The cost of the fires burning into bustling tourism and resort communities like Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge will easily run into tens of millions of dollars and there are widespread human health impacts from choking smoke, Prestemon said. Much of the region has been under air quality alerts for the past several weeks. Outside of Texas, the Southeast suffered the highest number of billion-dollar weather and climate-related disasters between 1980 and 2012, according to the National Climate Assessment.

The National Drought Monitor shows some level of drought across 73 percent of the Southeast, affecting 24 million people, with several areas suffering through extreme drought. Average temperatures at many weather stations in the region have been ranging from 5 to 15 degrees above normal for several weeks, and some sites have not seen any measurable precipitation for more than a month.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/...ires-drought-tennessee-north-carolina-georgia

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
US Climate Change: The Southeast Is Burning: Wildfires Feast on Hot, Dry Region

Sure it is Leonardo

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Every weather and environmental anomaly is now blamed in "global warming". But at least this guy isn't jumping to knee-jerk conclusions.
"Certainly since I started studying this in 1990, I've not seen this before, this many large fires burning at the same time. "But the regional data are incomplete, so it's really hard for me to say that this is unprecedented," he said.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Another example of US Forest Service mismanagement allowing fuel to build on the forest floor.

A great example of what happens when good intentions backfires.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

No its the CO2 poisioned climate. The warmest year ever, since records were kept just the last few seconds of a relatively ancient planets physical history. It's incredable how we fail to mention the source of the heat often enough or to even dare to whisper that the sun may be the cause of climate, good and bad and indifferent. The CO2 cultists are dangerous a mixture of lunitics and social managers and sales people known as journalists.What a fukked up planet.
All the money raised goes to keep the lies fresh and flowing. They want us to not see what's coming.

It';s snowing in Saudi Arabia. I can't wait to hear the CO2 explanation.It will snow in Florida and the jig will be up but too late perhaps.

Last edited:

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
No its the CO2 poisioned climate. The warmest year ever, since records were kept just the last few seconds of a relatively ancient planets physical history. It's incredable how we fail to mention the source of the heat often enough or to even dare to whisper that the sun may be the cause of climate, good and bad and indifferent. The CO2 cultists are dangerous a mixture of lunitics and social managers and sales people known as journalists.What a fukked up planet.
All the money raised goes to keep the lies fresh and flowing. They want us to not see what's coming.

It';s snowing in Saudi Arabia. I can't wait to hear the CO2 explanation.It will snow in Florida and the jig will be up but too late perhaps.
warch out where the camels go, and don't you eat that yellow snow

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Thankyou for your empty input.
Al Gore almost had me conviced that stepping in camel shjt on a Nova Scotia dessert sand dune was a possibility and palm trees as well yellow snow in May is more likey.

Winter has started in Nova Scotia about five weeks early, according to my excellent leer reviewed records and it could end five weeks late bringing on a thermal deficet for the following late season. The real hunger games start this way.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Yeah I remember as a kid it would get pretty dang cold in Phoenix in the winter. My cousin and I froze our balls off delivering newspapers early in the morning. It's not that way anymore.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
So how about the west coast having the wettest year on record.Must be global cooling.

No, it is shifting pressure systems. All worldwide pressure systems are driven by the heating of the equatorial region. Increase the temperatures there and it changes weather systems worldwide. And, in case you missed it California is in the middle of a drought, and California is on the west coast.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Is all the cold air we are going to get next week going to help or hinder the fires as it could just cause more lightening?