Donald Trump backs away from vow to pull out of the Paris climate agreement

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Heeeeeere comes the Salt-Right..

Donald Trump backs away from vow to pull out of the Paris climate agreement

U.S. President-elect Donald Trump said on Tuesday he was keeping an open mind on whether to pull out of a landmark international accord to fight climate change, in a softening of his stance toward global warming.

Trump told the New York Times in an interview that he thinks there is “some connectivity” between human activity and global warming, despite previously describing climate change as a hoax.

A source on Trump’s transition team told Reuters earlier this month that the New York businessman was seeking quick ways to withdraw the United States from the 2015 Paris Agreement to combat climate change.

But asked on Tuesday whether the United States would withdraw from the accord, the Republican said: “I’m looking at it very closely. I have an open mind to it.”

A U.S. withdrawal from the pact, agreed to by almost 200 countries, would set back international efforts to limit rising temperatures that have been linked to the extinctions of animals and plants, heat waves, floods and rising sea levels. .

Trump, who takes office on Jan. 20, also said he was thinking about climate change and American competitiveness and “how much it will cost our companies,” he said, according to a tweet by a Times reporter in the interview.

Two people advising Trump’s transition team on energy and environment issues said they were caught off guard by his remarks.

A shift on global warming is the latest sign Trump might be backing away from some of his campaign rhetoric as life in the Oval Office approaches.

Trump has said he might have to build a fence, rather than a wall, in some areas of the U.S.-Mexican border to stop illegal immigration, tweaking one of his signature campaign promises.

Also in Tuesday’s interview, he showed little appetite for pressing investigations of his Democratic rival in the presidential campaign, Hillary Clinton.

Donald Trump backs away from vow to pull out of the Paris climate agreement - National | Globalnews.ca

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I searched through the transcript of the NYT interview and found this. This was the entire formal statement by Donald Trump in the NYT interview on so called 'Climate Change'.

NYT - Just one quick clarification on the climate change, do you intend to, as you said, pull out of the Paris Climate Accord…

TRUMP - I’m going to take a look at it.

Now you have screaming headlines that Trump is revisiting his skepticism and outright denial of the fraudulent concoction of AGW that has spanned decades. He hasn't. He sees it for what it is, a giant drain on economic potential for a non existent 'threat'.

Trump is, at heart, a salesman, and, tends to frame his remarks to appeal to his immediate audience.

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Other than hiring a bunch of racists, has Trump done or said anything positive (in the past week) in the eyes of Das, Loc and the rest of the confused Trumpites. I know he still wants to bring in tariffs (aka - taxes) and run up the deficit. I suppose, being pretend conservatives, that must make them happy

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
At least they have jobs.

How is the search coming along? You are going to need a verifiable list of places you applied for.

Don't waste your time on here, you are going to need a job after being cut off and fined double what EI paid you.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
“I’m looking at it very closely. I have an open mind to it.”
in other words no decision made

lefties full of poop again...after being proven full of poop the same way on another thread
lather rinse repeat, expecting a different result...

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
“I’m looking at it very closely. I have an open mind to it.”
in other words no decision made

lefties full of poop again...after being proven full of poop the same way on another thread
lather rinse repeat, expecting a different result...
If this has the same slant as the Hillary Headline then the Media is twisting the words like they usually do. The American stance on global warming is what he will pull out of and look at global cooling a lot closer to see what changes will be made to lessen the danger to people. If twister get stronger and more in number then making a house wind proof might be needed to save lives and lessen property damage. It might be as simple as an easy mod to existing roofs and putting an earthen berm 1/2 way up the exterior walls

If he now says that he 'has an open mind to it', that's quite a different stance than saying he would pull out of it.
He would contribute by submitting a global cooling scene for the east side of the US and Canada and what actual changes that would bring. Non sense dredging the Mississippi for barges if the river is going to rise 50 ft due to increased runoff. Moving the population to higher ground would be something that could be done but the climate change data better be correct The southern deserts would get more rain so they would replace the farmland that would be lost to the frost, and then some once Mexico is included.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Other than hiring a bunch of racists, has Trump done or said anything positive (in the past week) in the eyes of Das, Loc and the rest of the confused Trumpites. I know he still wants to bring in tariffs (aka - taxes) and run up the deficit. I suppose, being pretend conservatives, that must make them happy

I'm sure this will all help the dumb, blue collar workers who voted him in :lol:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
If he now says that he 'has an open mind to it', that's quite a different stance than saying he would pull out of it.

Ah but he didn't say the open mind bit, TP............he said he would take a look at it. Taking a look does not necessarily require an open mind. None-the-less, it is a slight softening of his former stance on the subject.