Time For A Reality Check

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
There's a lot of whining going on here by the anti-Trump crowd (yes I know he and his supporters are racist bags of shyte). There's also a sense of wonder on the pro-Trump side. Finally the world is returning to normal. Women and colours are going to be put in their places. Papa Trump is going to look after people. With any luck, the Muslims will be rounded up and sent packing (or better yet incarcerated) so we can get back to prayer in school and making stores close on Sunday.

Reality, of course, is a completely different thing. A very large portion of the Trumpites are crotchety old people that are going to be dead in a few years. An even larger percentage of Trumpites are simpletons that will publicly espouse their silly racist views thereby undermining the cause. The simple reality is that the world is changing and as much as the Trumpites wish to cling to the past, they really aren't going to stop progress. In 50 years, people will view this era in American politics the way we view the McCarthy era.

Isn't fear a silly thing?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The sky is falling , the sky is falling , run run the sky is falling .

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
There's a lot of whining going on here by the anti-Trump crowd (yes I know he and his supporters are racist bags of shyte). There's also a sense of wonder on the pro-Trump side. Finally the world is returning to normal. Women and colours are going to be put in their places. Papa Trump is going to look after people. With any luck, the Muslims will be rounded up and sent packing (or better yet incarcerated) so we can get back to prayer in school and making stores close on Sunday.

Reality, of course, is a completely different thing. A very large portion of the Trumpites are crotchety old people that are going to be dead in a few years. An even larger percentage of Trumpites are simpletons that will publicly espouse their silly racist views thereby undermining the cause. The simple reality is that the world is changing and as much as the Trumpites wish to cling to the past, they really aren't going to stop progress. In 50 years, people will view this era in American politics the way we view the McCarthy era.

You obviously don't get it. Not that I'm surprised. Here watch this.
https://www.facebook.com/viralthread/videos/598130190359668/
It will explain perfectly what is happening.

That link is the reality check you are looking for.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I don't think women and minorities are going to be 'put in their place'. More likely they will be thought of and treated like citizens who are like everyone else, equal under the law. Not special, not in need of help to succeed, not superior to, inferior to or different than anyone else. Just EQUAL.
That would be nice.

I don't think Muslims will be rounded up and sent packing. More likely they will be held to the same standards of equality as every other citizen and not given special 'religious' exemptions from the law.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

You're making one big mistake there. Not all white nationalists are formally uneducated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nazi_doctors

Many physicians joined the Nazi Party. Joseph Goebbels was a doctor of philosophy. The British Naitonal Party has attracted members of the formally educated class including at least one doctor. I believed David Duke has received superior education too.

It would be a mistake and even dangerous to presume that ultra-nationalists, as sick as they are, are necessarily stupid. Kellie Leitch is a doctor too.

Let's not kid ourselves. There are probably more bigots teaching in our public school classrooms than we might like to admit.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
No I'm not

Do you presume that the sickness of bigotry is necessarily linked to formal education? Just read Book I of the B&B Report written in the 1960's. Every Commissioner who participated in writing that book had received superior formal education, yet that book makes Trump look moderate. Granted, the 1960's were a different era, but many Canadians, formally educated Canadians included, continue to praise that book today. Let's not confuse the sickness of bigotry with the lack of a formal education.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
"Reality, of course, is a completely different thing. A very large portion of the Trumpites are crotchety old people that are going to be dead in a few years. An even larger percentage of Trumpites are simpletons that will publicly espouse their silly racist views thereby undermining the cause. The simple reality is that the world is changing and as much as the Trumpites wish to cling to the past, they really aren't going to stop progress. In 50 years, people will view this era in American politics the way we view the McCarthy era.
"
They might be just as educated as the average American and represent a cross-section of classes. I'm not denying that bigots suffer a sickness, and a dangerous one at that once they are organized, but that sickness does not necessarily make them all simpletons.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I don't think women and minorities are going to be 'put in their place'. More likely they will be thought of and treated like citizens who are like everyone else, equal under the law. Not special, not in need of help to succeed, not superior to, inferior to or different than anyone else. Just EQUAL.
That would be nice.

I don't think Muslims will be rounded up and sent packing. More likely they will be held to the same standards of equality as every other citizen and not given special 'religious' exemptions from the law.
Makes sense .

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Oh well, The Donald will be cleaning the 'swamp', not very flattering to the tadpoles, insects and frogs.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You're making one big mistake there. Not all white nationalists are formally uneducated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nazi_doctors

Many physicians joined the Nazi Party. Joseph Goebbels was a doctor of philosophy. The British Naitonal Party has attracted members of the formally educated class including at least one doctor. I believed David Duke has received superior education too.

It would be a mistake and even dangerous to presume that ultra-nationalists, as sick as they are, are necessarily stupid. Kellie Leitch is a doctor too.

Let's not kid ourselves. There are probably more bigots teaching in our public school classrooms than we might like to admit.
Actually the father of our vaunted health care system the honorable Tommy Douglas was a doctor and a staunch proponent of eubonics go figure .