Washington Really Is Different

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
'Twas back in the Clinton administration, if I recollect right. The president decided to go to the newly re-opened Ford's Theater. Now, it happens there was a bar next to the theater, and it had an outdoor seating area in a lot between the bar building and the theater. A fella I know and a group of his close personal friends who enjoy the hobby of motorcycle riding, calling themselves "Roadkill," were enjoying a libation in the outdoor seating area when the Secret Service pulled up and started throwing their weight around, telling everybody they were going to have to leave because the president was coming. Well, that didn't sit too well, but the guys were nice, and told the Secret Service the president was free to come, they wouldn't trouble him none, and if he felt like joining them for a drink, they'd even pay for it As you can imagine, the SS didn't like that much at all, and got more aggressive in their demands. Finally one fella said "You have no authority to make us leave." Well, the SS guy made the Great Washington Mistake, and asked, "What are you, a lawyer or something?" The fella speaking said "No," but then another fella at the table said "I am," and a fella at the next table said "Me too," and another fella said "So am I." Whereupon a fella about halfway back stood up and said "I'm a Federal Marshal." But the kicker was when a quiet voice from way in the back said "And I'm a United States Senator."

Washington really is different.