U.S. talk of Calexit again.

Nikki66

Jul 15, 2016
Edmonton, AB
So Americans are once again calling for secession from the U.S. due to Trumps victory. Do you think they will succeed or will it be another dead end like the last attempt at Jesusland (United States of Canada) Personally I like Canada the way it is, join us or leave us but don't try to change us. But this is the second or third time there has been talks and attempts. Who thinks it is possible for it to actually become real.

#Calexit: Californians call for secession after Donald Trump's election victory | The Independent

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Yes and to this I say no effing way, although I am partial to Hawaii becoming part of Canada as opposed to those weed infested Turks and Cacos that nobody else wants.

Imagine the steady stream of people sliding up the West coast. How about giving California back to Mexico.........

Canadians are inviting people in the United States Pacific coastal states of California, Oregon and Washington, where United States President-elect Donald Trump lost heavily to his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, to secede from the US and join Canada.

“Dear California, Oregon, Washington – I’m sure we can work something out if you want to join Canada,” Chad Harris, a reporter from Kamloops, British Columbia, tweeted.

“California, Oregon, Washington, I, for one, will accept you with open arms into the liberal bosom of Canada,” Alex Middleton of Calgary, Alberta agreed.

“Now is the time for Canada to prepare to add 3 provinces, Washington, Oregon and California,” fellow British Columbian Craig Heber from Tofino shared the sentiment. “Guaranteed means to grow economy would be adding the sixth largest economy in the world to ours.”

Some extended the invitation to Nevada, also won by the Democratic candidate.

“To the west coast of the United States, if you want to you can all become Canadian Provinces, since you voted closer to the experiences we have as Canadian,” Calgarian Andrew Mercier said in a Facebook post. “Therefore WA, OR, NV, and CA you are now provinces, also bring all the goodness that you have to us!!!”

Others want Hawaii, another so-called “Blue State” and outgoing President Barack Obama’s birthplace, to become a Canadian province.

“Dear USA west coast – Washington, Oregon, California and Hawaii – come and join Canada, we’d welcome you!,” Torry Courte, a musician and songwriter from Vancouver, British Columbia, tweeted.

“California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii,” Rick Spence from Toronto, Ontario, tweeted. “Don’t bother to count the votes. Join Canada. Just try us out for four years.”

How do the disgruntled voters in the West Coast states feel about joining?

Douglas Cole of Beaverton, Oregon, summed up the feelings of many shocked West Coasters in a humorous open letter.

“These days I love daydreaming about Washington, Oregon, and California all ceding from the US and joining Canada,” Scott Dixon of Mercer Island, Washington, posted on Facebook. “Besides that this would form a country that had one of the largest economies in the world (California is #6, Canada is #8 by GDP), it certainly seems like the American West coast has more in common with British Columbia then it does Idaho, Utah, and Arizona (In my daydream Nevada also cedes but becomes it’s own mad-max themed nation-state).”

“Hey Canada, I have a proposal for you,” Dave Lewis, of San Francisco, California posted on Facebook. “I say we take Washington, Oregon, California and Hawaii, combine them with Canada and make one amazing country. Lots of new coastline. Who’s in?”

“Dear Mr Trump, I’ve figured it out,” Patrick Heffernan of San Diego, California posted. “End the deficit by selling Washington, Oregon, and California to Canada. We don’t mind.”

A merger with the Pacific states would more than double Canada’s population from 35 million to 83 million, while tripling the GDP from US$ 1.5 trillion to US$ 4.5 trillion.

https://thinkpol.ca/2016/11/12/canadians-invite-california-oregon-and-washington-to-join-canada/

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'd have no qualms about the US West coast joining Canada. Out of respect for the US though, I would impose a caveat:

The new Canadian Constitution would grant any US citizen who is born before one year after the West Coast's separation from the US the full rights and responsibilities of Canadian citizenship within the new states.

This would mean that a US citizen who is born before one year from the separation of the new state would be free to enter these new Canadian provinces and reside there, work there, attend school there, do business, and even vote and be elected to office here just like any other Canadian citizen. The reason for this is that family comes before the state, and I'm sure many families straddle the borders of these states. We might even consider extending this to anyone who is born before seventy years after separation so as to give them a generation or so to decide on what side of the border an extended family wants to settle.

I would also exempt the new provinces from the English and French language and separate-school provisions of the present constitution. One option would be extreme decentralization whereby all we would share in common would be common citizenship and a common passport but nothing else.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well the USA has a caveat as well that says no illegals and we've seen how that has worked out for the last 40 years.......

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Well the USA has a caveat as well that says no illegals and we've seen how that has worked out for the last 40 years.......

Fine. If the US decides to play that game and strips all US citizens within those states of US citizenship, then their extended family would move to those states and so epand their population. Larger tax base for us.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Listen to all the racist whiners who don't want to go to, or be part of Mexico. "Waaaah, our President elect is a racist. Let's relocate to another predominantly White country because we're not a bunch of racists".

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Listen to all the racist whiners who don't want to go to, or be part of Mexico. "Waaaah, our President elect is a racist. Let's relocate to another predominantly White country because we're not a bunch of racists".
True enough. They sure won't be troubled by no black or brown people in Canada.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
True enough. They sure won't be troubled by no black or brown people in Canada.

I have not seen a black or brown person in my house yet. Not due to any policy of course, just coincidence. Though I have a Chinese running around the house if that counts for something. Certified safe for Canadian national security.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Now that I think about it, if the whole West Coast joined Canada, why not promote a North American Union between Canada and Mexico too. We'd be sharing a land border after all.

We could even invite the US to join too, though I doubt Trump would be interested. He might not be too pleased at learning that the mainland US' North, West, and South all border the NAU.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I suppose an NAU would make the US a little more malleable to trade deals given the extra clout we would have. After all, if the US wants to trade with Asia, it would not need to rely on ports on the NAU's West coast.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Now that I think about it, if the whole West Coast joined Canada, why not promote a North American Union between Canada and Mexico too. We'd be sharing a land border after all.

We could even invite the US to join too, though I doubt Trump would be interested. He might not be too pleased at learning that the mainland US' North, West, and South all border the NAU.

You sure that you want California? You really want a friut cake that's all nuts?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I suppose an NAU would make the US a little more malleable to trade deals given the extra clout we would have. After all, if the US wants to trade with Asia, it would not need to rely on ports on the NAU's West coast.
but since we no longer make anything, and have little low valued currency...
what's the point of trade?
it will just be more resources out the door and some very busy roboslaves somewhere else

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
i've made you
( it's a cop term - to identify)
you make mistakes

none of which asia will want to trade for

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Speak for yourself.

We export a hell of a lot of stuff, even to Mexico and China. They might be cheaper, but we produce things they can't.

And if the US lost its West Coast, it woudl then need to play nice with the NAU if it wants to borrow its ports for trade with Asia.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
We export a hell of a lot of stuff, even to Mexico and China. They might be cheaper, but we produce things they can't.

I have earned my living by manufacturing for over thirty years, continuing tomorrow morning and I've hardly ever been busier. The only time that it went for a shyte, was when I worked for a US owned and based company that was incompetently led by a crook very much like Trump. I landed with a parachute and hit the ground running.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You sure that you want California? You really want a friut cake that's all nuts?

Why not? I would propose extreme decentralization though. In short, they'd be almost their own sovereign state and the only things we'd share in common would be a common citizenship and a common passport, and nothing else.

If that's too much, then maybe a common partial citizenship. For example, we'd possess Canadian and NAU citizenship while they would possess Californian and NAU citizenship. Canadian citizenship would allow me to live anywhere in Canada, Californian citizenship would allow me to live in California, and NAU citizenship would allow me to live in any NAU maritime port city.

We could always start with that and then evenually expand NAU citizenship to beyond port cities to the entire NAU if we wanted to adopt a more gradual approach.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
I for one would welcome California. If I ever become a snowbird, I would rather go to California rather than Florida. Geographically, it might be awkward, but I'm sure they can figure it out.