What to do About the Trumpites Now

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Now that Trump is toast, we should move on...or can we? The misogyny, racist attitudes and lack of basic understanding of complex political issues remains a significant problem in relation to his supporters. It's easy to say that we dodged a bullet but it is conceivable that another, more politically savvy politician could pick up the torch.

I don't think Trump was as much a problem as he was a symptom of a problem. Addressing the problem is the best way we can ensure this nuttery doesn't continue in each successive election.

Simply put, is it possible to appease the Trumpites and if so, how

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Trump's candidacy didn't create the problem. He exposed it and gave it a sense of its own legitimacy. If Trump loses, those people, and probably Trump too, won't be going away. I doubt what's left of the Republican establishment can reign it in. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump ran for the Republican nomination for the next election. The real worry is that a calmer person could tap into the Trump base directly stoking the fear and violent tendencies of Republican voters and their predilection for strongmen without being the fragile little baby that Trump is and flying off the handle at the smallest slight or insult.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Trump's candidacy didn't create the problem. He exposed it and gave it a sense of its own legitimacy. If Trump loses, those people, and probably Trump too, won't be going away. I doubt what's left of the Republican establishment can reign it in. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump ran for the Republican nomination for the next election. The real worry is that a calmer person could tap into the Trump base directly stoking the fear and violent tendencies of Republican voters and their predilection for strongmen without being the fragile little baby that Trump is and flying off the handle at the smallest slight or insult.
Yup, I think this time, we were lucky in that Trump was not likable. Without addressing the root causes, a more likable "Trump" may be able to win the next election. It's all but a slam dunk that Clinton will be the Democratic nominee and as unpopular as she is, somebody with a little charisma can do some damage

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ted Cruz.

It's hard to say whether Cruz lost to Trump because he's a more disgusting human being or a less disgusting human being. Either way, he's got a different set of problems to work through next time he runs for president.

Yup, I think this time, we were lucky in that Trump was not likable. Without addressing the root causes, a more likable "Trump" may be able to win the next election. It's all but a slam dunk that Clinton will be the Democratic nominee and as unpopular as she is, somebody with a little charisma can do some damage

I doubt the root causes will be addressed. These roots aren't just the Republican electorate. They are essence of American democracy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Maybe you should stop saying lad.

Can you send me a list of acceptable words I can use? Never thought "lad" is objectionable! :)

It's hard to say whether Cruz lost to Trump because he's a more disgusting human being or a less disgusting human being. Either way, he's got a different set of problems to work through next time he runs for president.

I doubt the root causes will be addressed. These roots aren't just the Republican electorate. They are essence of American democracy.

I guess the burning question now is who is more disgusting between Trump and Hillary! I guess Hillary would have the edge as, as a "lady"?? she is expected to follow a higher standard of conversation. Calling Bill a C.S. just isn't polite, especially within hearing distance of an audience.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I guess the burning question now is who is more disgusting between Trump and Hillary! I guess Hillary would have the edge as, as a "lady"??

Also because Donald Trump is a grotesque anus faced orange that brags about compulsively grabbing women's genitals.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Which is more than likely bullsh-t boasting. I don't like the guy either but to go from him BS boasting to being accused of actions is a big leap.

I've heard hundreds of men boast about bizarre BS of conquest that they could never accomplish even if they tried to pay a woman.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Which is more than likely bullsh-t boasting. I don't like the guy either but to go from him BS boasting to being accused of actions is a big leap.

I've heard hundreds of men boast about bizarre BS of conquest that they could never accomplish even if they tried to pay a woman.

I even know a few farm labourers that boast about owning the farm. I don't put a lot of stock in bragging