Vice Presidential Debate

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No need to watch it now. . .

The GOP declares debate victory for Mike Pence, 90 minutes before it starts

By Philip Bump October 4
Our sincere congratulations to Republican vice-presidential candidate Mike Pence, who, according to the Republican Party, has emerged victorious in the sole vice-presidential debate of 2016, despite it not having happened yet.
The GOP appears to have accidentally published a draft of a post congratulating Pence on his victory about two hours before the debate actually started. It's not uncommon for communications staffers to prepare statements in advance, of course. It is, however, unusual to make those congratulations live.

The consensus was clear well before the dust settled, it seems!
We have to agree that Pence's forthcoming top moments of the debate were "Economy" and "Highlighting Hillary's scandals." Who could forget those moments, which we expect to see sometime over the next few hours? Good memories of those things in the future.
Also, congrats to Donald Trump, who earns a little mention in there. But you know who did not win was Hillary Clinton, that's for sure. The GOP had a story ready to go on that, too.

5-Minute Fix newsletter
Keeping up with politics is easy now.

The American people have spoken from the future! They say this: Tonight's biggest loser was Clinton.
We are, by now, used to the distinction between who actually won the debate and who the losing side says won the debate. We also remember that the Trump campaign was running ads blaring "TRUMP WON" even before the first presidential debate ended and that the campaign subsequently embraced garbage online surveys as evidence of his victory. But pre-declaring victory is just a smidge further down the line.
The Republican Party, apparently realizing this, retracted both articles. Meaning that the future is yet to be written! We can't wait to see who the GOP thinks actually won the debate — and what top moments the victor might have experienced.
Update: It seems that the GOP also took issue with the questions that hadn’t yet been asked.

https://twitter.com/CahnEmily/status/783448113113604096/photo/1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nce-90-minutes-before-it-starts/?tid=pm_pop_b

Oops.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
OMG, Pence is looking like a puppet, not able to make sense of 'The Donalds' absurdities. It's kind of sad, because I think Pence had no chance at all, imagine trying to defend a man who suffers from idiotic verbal diarrhea. Kaine is the clear winner of this debate.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I just watched the first hour of the debate. In my opinion, Kaine came over as a loudmouth; he was to this debate what Donald Trump was to the first Presidential debate interrupting constantly. He's losing!
When they interrupt and try to talk over each other I can't watch any more. Will have to see what the result is tomorrow.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I thought this was going to be a measured debate but Pence got crushed even worse than Trump did.

He was fabricating all kinds of conspiracy lunacy and Kaine was just slapping him silly with regular, reality pill doses of **** that Trump says.

This going to be another bump in the polls for Hilary.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
OMG, Pence is looking like a puppet, not able to make sense of 'The Donalds' absurdities. It's kind of sad, because I think Pence had no chance at all, imagine trying to defend a man who suffers from idiotic verbal diarrhea. Kaine is the clear winner of this debate.
I just caught a minute of the CNN post debate show and all were of the opinion Pence won . Funny you mustn't have been watching the same debate .

I thought this was going to be a measured debate but Pence got crushed even worse than Trump did.

He was fabricating all kinds of conspiracy lunacy and Kaine was just slapping him silly with regular, reality pill doses of **** that Trump says.

This going to be another bump in the polls for Hilary.
Did you watch ? or are you trolling ? I mean come on the Jays were on in the wild card game .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Just think, Trump is elected Predident, someone bumps him off for the good of the planet right after and Pence is President by Christmas.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I have to give it to Pence. Kaine was talking so fast he seemed kind of yappy at times. I'd call it a draw except that Pence had a much harder job, so the draw counts as a win for him.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yes, just like the online polls that thought Trump won the last debate lol

He had the better temperament between the two but if you are actually going to care about facts, then he said nothing of substance.

Last edited:

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I just watched the first hour of the debate. In my opinion, Kaine came over as a loudmouth; he was to this debate what Donald Trump was to the first Presidential debate interrupting constantly. He's losing!
When they interrupt and try to talk over each other I can't watch any more. Will have to see what the result is tomorrow.

That was me too! I watched about 15 or 20 minutes of it and I couldn't stand it! Tuned in to some PVR stuff instead.

Dixie

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Trump's persona is to insist that he's won, even when he loses. Assuming he loses the election, he will insist that he won, and he's already laid the groundwork claiming that the election is going to be fixed.

He's pretty much creating a civil war in the US, and that will be very interesting to watch.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Yes, just like the online polls that thought Trump won the last debate lol

He had the better temperament between the two but if you are actually going to care about facts, then he said nothing of substance.

I thought Pence's responses bore more substance.

What I see as unreasonable is the public demanding definite solutions to specific issues. With Trump's/Pence's plans I can see more consulting and deliberating to be done once the election is over.

It doesn't make sense to think that whomever is elected President is going to do anything definite.
For one thing, circumstances could change by then and regardless, it has to be determined with consultations and the approval/consent/agreement of Congress, doesn't it?

Like, 'What would you do with the illegal immigrants who are NOT criminals?'. That is a question everyone wants a definite answer to. I think Trump/Pence have the right approach to deport the criminal element and secure the borders first and then deal with the law-abiding illegals with families in a way that is most agreeable and comfortable with everyone. To come to that kind of decision would need to be hashed over before being implemented.

The situations with immigration, security, foreign policies, almost every issue, are evolving at speed so it seems unrealistic to lay down a definite plan for the future.

We can see in Canada things the government is doing just because they said they would do it even when circumstances have changes so that it is no longer the best course of action. And likewise, promises being broken because they were found to be impossible to carry out.
So it seems better to leave wiggle room on all issues.

Last edited: