Kasich is teaming up with Obama to pass the Pacific trade deal

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Wuh oh Spaghettios.

Republicans aren't allowed to cooperate with Democrats.

Kasich is teaming up with Obama to pass the Pacific trade deal

john kasich barack obamaPresident Barack Obama talks with Ohio Gov. John Kasich during the first half of the opening game of the NCAA college basketball tournament between Mississippi Valley State and Western Kentucky, Tuesday, March 13, 2012, in Dayton, Ohio.Skip Peterson/AP

Ohio Governor John Kasich is teaming up with an unlikely ally to get Congress to pass the Trans-Pacific Partnership: President Barack Obama.

The TPP, a landmark trade deal with 12 countries bordering the Pacific Ocean, has become a hot button issue in the presidential campaign.

Neither Hillary Clinton nor Donald Trump support the deal, though a recent poll found the majority of Americans do.

Clinton was in favor of the deal when she was Secretary of State, but reversed her position during the primary season, saying it didn't "meet the high bar I have set."

Trump has called the TPP "another disaster done and pushed by special interests who just want to rape our country."

Kasich, also a former Republican presidential candidate, told told CNN's Dana Bash Thursday night that it was "astounding" to him both candidates are "opposed to free trade."

"I think I need to spend my time making the case that we don't want to hurt United States national security issue(s), we don't want to turn our back over there, and frankly, we don't want to put ourselves in a position where we're not taking advantage of economic opportunities," he said on CNN. "If we were to just walk away with this - with both candidates saying they don't want this - we turn our backs on Asia."

Kasich is meeting with Obama Friday morning, according to the president's schedule. Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and IBM CEO Ginni Rometty will also be in attendance, along with several other bipartisan business and national security leaders.

Obama's hoping to pass the TPP before he has to leave office in January, when it may never go into effect with both candidates opposing it.

If Kasich receives political backlash for partnering with Obama on the issue, he said, that's all right.

"I welcome the fact that people will criticize me for putting my country ahead of my party," Kasich said on CNN. "I don't have any idea what I'm going to do with my political future, I really don't. I'm not closing any doors. But I'm not here plotting and scheming what's going to happen down the road."

Kasich is teaming up with Obama to pass the Trans-Pacific Partnership - Business Insider

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Giving way all your rights privileges and opportunities is generally not considered
"good for the county"
unless it's for the other country

If it was a kingdom this guy would be a king
If it was an empire he would be an emperor
but sadly it is not
it's a country

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Asia needs dive thru restaurants stocked with Canadian meat, flour,canola oil, fries and gasoline powered Fords and Chevys to drive through with.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
They will also need heart attack beds and anti depressants too
and pepto bismol...

do we make that?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Kasich should keep his mouth shut and ride off into the sunset. Nobody's listening to him anyway.
I think he just wants to keep his name in the news.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They will also need heart attack beds and anti depressants too
and pepto bismol...

do we make that?

Yup. GE makes the technical gear and the pill market is wide open.

No more take two grams of buffalo snot and three toad eyes and call me in the morning if you are still alive.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Kasich should keep his mouth shut and ride off into the sunset. Nobody's listening to him anyway.
I think he just wants to keep his name in the news.
You did of course notice the article is from 2012 , didn't you ?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Kasich is a classic NeoConserative, Republican Establishment apparatchik.. which in all of its iterations has been radically Free Market, Globalist and completely disinterested in Social Conservatism, EXCEPT, a device to which to pay lip service, to lock up a political demographic.

There in fact has NEVER been a difference in any substantive form between the NeoConservatism of Reagan, Bush (x2) and NeoLiberalism of Clinton, Obama.

Which is why Donald Trump, who does represent the economic nationalism and dirigism of REAL economic conservatism (albeit somewhat inarticulate manner).. is such an intolerable threat to BOTH party establishments.

Last edited: