The $3.7-billion pipeline that became a rallying cry for tribes

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Native American protests of an oil pipeline under construction in North Dakota began this spring with a handful of people praying in a makeshift camp on a nearby Indian reservation.

Months later, after legal wrangling, celebrity endorsements and, most importantly, the arrival of thousands more Native Americans to join the opposition, the issue has exploded into one of the most contentious and high-profile environmental battles in the nation. It involves climate change, tribal rights, the energy economy and jobs. It also wades into delicate issues of how Native Americans have been treated by the federal government for years.

What is the Dakota Access pipeline?

The pipeline would carry more than 400,000 barrels of crude oil daily from the Bakken and Three Forks production regions of North Dakota. The pipeline, 30 inches in diameter, would travel 1,172 miles, passing through South Dakota and Iowa before connecting with an existing pipeline in Patoka, Ill. Its developer, Energy Transfer Partners, based in Texas, says its total cost is $3.7 billion.

Who is opposed to the pipeline?

Environmental and tribal groups who want the United States to transition to renewable energy instead of building more infrastructure to support fossil fuels. Many of the groups also fought the Keystone XL pipeline, which the Obama administration rejected in November.

mo

The $3.7-billion pipeline that became a rallying cry for tribes across America - LA Times

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Cavalry will take care of this any day now.
They are already there, arresting people with riot gear and assault rifles. Today they targeted media reps and Faceplant started censoring videos of the arrests. Fascism is alive and well in the good ole US of Aggression.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I find it fascinating that the people who succeeded the indians, and who find what happened acceptable, are terrified of having the same thing happen to them.
but it always does eventually

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
They are already there, arresting people with riot gear and assault rifles. Today they targeted media reps and Faceplant started censoring videos of the arrests. Fascism is alive and well in the good ole US of Aggression.

No no you're overreacting it's the land of the free and brave, no it isn't nothing is free there, and the brave seldom leave thier big screens long enough to get another diet soda and a new bag of dry salted people feed.

I find it fascinating that the people who succeeded the indians, and who find what happened acceptable, are terrified of having the same thing happen to them.
but it always does eventually

Invariably so, even now those same accepting people are being succeeded by multinational law. All it took was big screens diet soda and dried peeple feed.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
We are made of soillint green! I Am what I eat
www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM
The Crying Indian

lol
along with dismembering buffaloes i forgot canoes
some escaped the masacree
they only burn lactic acid in the arm muscles