What's The Opposite of Diversity Again?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
that's right...

DePaul launches free speech lecture series after banning conservatives

DePaul University has announced a year-long series of speakers to discuss race and free speech, despite having recently banned two conservative firebrands from campus.

In recent months, however, DePaul has banned Ben Shapiro and Milo Yiannopoulos, two provocative conservative speakers who promote free speech and mock political correctness, citing concerns about protests.

DePaul University has announced a year-long series of speakers who will be discussing race and free speech, despite having recently banned two conservative firebrands from its campus.

According to the Depaul Newsline, the series is “Depaul’s broad action plan to address issues that came to a tipping point last spring,” and “will offer perspectives across the political spectrum on various topics including race, free speech and hate speech, and the current political climate.”

“If DePaul really cares about diversity, it should stand for diversity of thought."

“We recognize these issues facing all of American higher education will not be solved overnight,” DePaul President Rev. Dennis H. Holtschneider told the Newsline. “Through this series we are hoping to enrich and inform a conversation that provides our university community with fresh and real ways to live our Vincentian commitments.”

mo

DePaul launches free speech lecture series after banning conservatives

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Nothing funnier than watching right-wingers get all triggered when a private entity enforces its will on its property.

That's when they haul out the "free speech" argument, apparently ignorant of the fact that free speech rights exist vis-a-vis the government. Private parties have the absolute right to say what they will and will not allow on their property (within the limits of the civil rights laws, of course).

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Wouldn't it be lovely if educational institutions and churches, in fact any organization that teaches or councils people, would keep their political agendas to themselves?
Who sends their kids to college or to church to be told what political party to support?
Universities, in particular, should be encouraging students to think for themselves and should support the freedom to do so.
Leave brainwashing to the terrorists!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Nothing funnier than watching right-wingers get all triggered when a private entity enforces its will on its property.

That's when they haul out the "free speech" argument, apparently ignorant of the fact that free speech rights exist vis-a-vis the government. Private parties have the absolute right to say what they will and will not allow on their property (within the limits of the civil rights laws, of course).

You don't think they are discriminating based upon beliefs? Isn't that a civil rights violation? Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's a better angle than free speech on private property.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You don't think they are discriminating based upon beliefs?
Yes, they are.
Isn't that a civil rights violation?
No, it is not. At least not in the U.S. I'm not expert on Canada's civil rights laws.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's a better angle than free speech on private property.
In the U.S. (again, I'm not expert on Canada), there are two threads to civil rights. One is the Constitutional thread, particularly the Fourteenth Amendment, which requires states to give "equal protection of the laws." Operative words are "states" and "laws." Neither is in play in a private university's policies.

The second thread is the Civil Rights Acts, which forbid discrimination in places of public accommodation on certain, specific grounds: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, Vietnam veteran status, and under certain circumstances, age.

Clearly, all sorts of entities discriminate on all sorts of bases, first and foremost discrimination based on the ability to pay. But the Civil Rights Acts enumerate the specific bases upon which discrimination is prohibited. Discrimination on any other basis is not prohibited.

So left-handers and bald guys are screwed, and there ain't a thing they can do about it.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Wasn't sure if political beliefs were protected like religious beliefs, that's why I asked. I understand the private club thing. Augusta national didn't have a female member until 2012 but never said their gender was the reason for refusal of membership ergo did not legally discriminate.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Wasn't sure if political beliefs were protected like religious beliefs, that's why I asked.
It was a good question, and no, politics aren't covered.

I understand the private club thing. Augusta national didn't have a female member until 2012 but never said their gender was the reason for refusal of membership ergo did not legally discriminate.
That can be a tricky one. Some places that truly are private clubs can legally discriminate, but if they let in non-members at all, they may be deemed "places of public accommodation" and fall under the civil rights laws. It's a fine line to walk, and you can't find out in advance. You gotta just do it, and then try to convince a judge you were right. Annoying, but there is no way to ask, for example, "We are a private, men-only club, but we allow non-members to use our facilities three times a year. Does allowing that make us a place of public accommodation and subject to the civil rights laws?" You won't get a definitive answer.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Yet if the same institution had a policy of no blacks, there would be an issue? Which way do you want to have it?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yet if the same institution had a policy of no blacks, there would be an issue? Which way do you want to have it?
Yes. I did say "within the limits of the civil rights laws," in case you missed it. Title IX of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 forbids, among other things, racial discrimination in education. That applies to public and private educational institutions. There is no comparable prohibition of discrimination among political viewpoints.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
So we're only allowed to discriminate fat, The ugly, the stupid. What a bunch of hypocrite you all are.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So we're only allowed to discriminate fat, The ugly, the stupid. What a bunch of hypocrite you all are.

Given the fact that there are entry tests for some things especially schools (the stupid) and airlines can force an obese person to buy 2 seats (the fat) and no woman has to date you if she finds you unattractive (the ugly) I would say those are 3 allowable reasons. ;-)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Given the fact that there are entry tests for some things especially schools (the stupid) and airlines can force an obese person to buy 2 seats (the fat) and no woman has to date you if she finds you unattractive (the ugly) I would say those are 3 allowable reasons. ;-)
And as I said, the most common form of discrimination, so common that nobody except maybe Cliffy and the lunatic squad would question it, is discrimination based on ability to pay.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
And as I said, the most common form of discrimination, so common that nobody except maybe Cliffy and the lunatic squad would question it, is discrimination based on ability to pay.

Speaking of which you haven't paid me your membership fee yet...better send that along soon. ;-)