Conservationalists' rage after N.Y. governor reels in shark

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Conservationalists' rage after N.Y. governor reels in shark
The Associated Press
First posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 01:32 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, August 29, 2016 01:42 PM EDT
ALBANY, N.Y. -- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is catching criticism from conservationists for reeling in a 154.5-pound thresher shark off Long Island.
The Democrat tweeted a picture of his catch Sunday.
Cuomo's office notes he was legally permitted to keep the shark. But several social media users still criticized the decision.
Shark Research Institute director Marie Levine says Monday that threshers are considered vulnerable, a conservation status just below endangered. She says that sport fishing isn't a leading shark killer but that releasing the fish would have been preferable.
Levine says New York under Cuomo has taken strides to conserve sharks.
Cuomo's brother, CNN anchor Chris Cuomo, is also pictured in the photo. Earlier this month, he posted an Instagram photo of a 9-foot hammerhead the brothers caught and released.

Conservationalists' rage after N.Y. governor reels in shark | World | News | Tor

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I don't care if he keeps it if there is some legitimate food use for the greater part of the fish. I don't know about threshers in the Atlantic but most Pacific coast sharks are inedible due to mercury build up in the meat. It isn't recommended to eat any over 60cm in length. I will use smaller mud sharks for bait so I'm not buying/storing herring, the salmon seem to like it.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I don't care if he keeps it if there is some legitimate food use for the greater part of the fish. I don't know about threshers in the Atlantic but most Pacific coast sharks are inedible due to mercury build up in the meat. It isn't recommended to eat any over 60cm in length. I will use smaller mud sharks for bait so I'm not buying/storing herring, the salmon seem to like it.
According to the guys on Wicked Tuna thresher's are good eating .

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Lotsa Good Eats!

Shark meat needs some careful handling but like all fish when prepared correctly is wonderful.

I don't care if he keeps it if there is some legitimate food use for the greater part of the fish. I don't know about threshers in the Atlantic but most Pacific coast sharks are inedible due to mercury build up in the meat.
Complete and utter Bee Ess aper SOP
I will use smaller mud sharks for bait so I'm not buying/storing herring, the salmon seem to like it.
Yet more lies-no one on earth uses Dogfish for Salmon bait-what a clueless ponce!

For your edification

[youtube]TjeGM1YJhhM[/youtube]

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Lotsa Good Eats!

Shark meat needs some careful handling but like all fish when prepared correctly is wonderful.

Yet more lies-no one on earth uses Dogfish for Salmon bait-what a clueless ponce!

For your edification

[youtube]TjeGM1YJhhM[/youtube]
Hey that looks like pretty good eatin Booger Bill. I'll bet those people are deliriously happy to meet your approval oh high lumbago of knowledge.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Hey that looks like pretty good eatin....I'll bet those people are deliriously happy to meet your approval oh high lumbago of knowledge.
Unlike you I've visited Trinidad & Tobago and we even killed a Shark one day-a Hammerhead as linked-Note that I am not an internet desk jockey like you.

We didn't eat the Hammerhead though it was donated to feed the funeral party of a local dignitary/pioneer.

Those in the know are aware of the Vancouver Island made Salmon jig in the mouth of this Dusky Shark I caught in a remote archipelago in the South Pacific-didn't like killing it but the Captain gave it to the natives for some political consideration so I suppose it's all good

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Lotsa Good Eats!

Shark is #3 on the list of most contaminated fish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_in_fish

Works just as well as cut-plug herring when you slice it up. Makes great crab bait too. Not that I would know anything from 22 years on the Island or a lifetime of salmon fishing. You just go ahead and be right if it makes yo feel better.

I notice the hammerhead has been finned. Good on ya, that's classy

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Where's the sharkbait when fins are cut off and fish fed to the sea?
The fins were cut off so he would fit into the fishbox-no one there eats Shark fin they'd laugh @ you for suggesting it.

As anyone who cooks knows Shark Fin is used in soup to add texture there is no discernable flavour.
Works just as well as cut-plug herring when you slice it up. Makes great crab bait too. Not that I would know anything from 22 years on the Island or a lifetime of salmon fishing. You just go ahead and be right if it makes yo feel better.
Classic pull-it-out-of-your-nether-regions post from the usual suspect-you have never posted a thing here about your Salmon catches because there are none and the idea that you are somehow catching Salmon on cut plug Dogfish will get you laughed off Sportfishingbc.com in an instant.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The fins were cut off so he would fit into the fishbox-no one there eats Shark fin they'd laugh @ you for suggesting it.

As anyone who cooks knows Shark Fin is used in soup to add texture there is no discernable flavour.

Classic pull-it-out-of-your-nether-regions post from the usual suspect-you have never posted a thing here about your Salmon catches because there are none and the idea that you are somehow catching Salmon on cut plug Dogfish will get you laughed off Sportfishingbc.com in an instant.

Finning is illegal Billy boy...even to fit it in a cooler. Nice excuse though.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Do you need a translator or some reading lessons?

Sharkbait - as in tree hugger, greenie, environmentalist. Clue might have been found in "fed to the sea" ... as in thrown back, discarded, wasted.

Post had nothing to do with the post steering you're working on. Better work on that trolling ... or Grade IV reading comprehension.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Actually what does sport fishing B.C. have to do with dog fish . No self respecting sporty would target bullheads . That being said there are a couple of highly successful shark fishers out of the south island .
Jaun de Fuca is prime shark bait .