Syrian boy becoming the face of a new wave of immigration

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
What are we waiting for?

Get these people on American soil asap.

How Omran Daqneesh, 5, Became a Symbol of Aleppo’s Suffering

BEIRUT, Lebanon — In the images, he sits alone, a small boy coated with gray dust and encrusted blood. His little feet barely extend beyond his seat. He stares, bewildered, shocked and, above all, weary, as if channeling the mood of Syria.

The boy, identified by medical workers as Omran Daqneesh, 5, was pulled from a damaged building after a Syrian government or Russian airstrike in the northern city of Aleppo. He was one of 12 children under the age of 15 treated on Wednesday, not a particularly unusual figure, at one of the hospitals in the city’s rebel-held eastern section, according to doctors there.

But some images strike a particular nerve, for reasons both obvious and unknowable, jarring even a public numbed to disaster. Omran’s is one.

Within minutes of being posted by witnesses and journalists, a photograph and a video of Omran began rocketing around the world on social media. Unwittingly, Omran — like Alan Kurdi, the Syrian toddler who drowned last September and whose lifeless body washed up on a Turkish beach — is bringing new attention to the thousands upon thousands of children killed and injured during five years of war and the inability or unwillingness of global powers to stop the carnage.

Maybe it was his haircut, long and floppy up top; or his rumpled T-shirt showing the Nickelodeon cartoon character CatDog; or his tentative, confused movements in a widely circulated video — gestures familiar to anyone who has loved a child. Or the instant and inescapable question of whether a parent was left alive to give him a hug.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/1...a-aleppo.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Get the Americans out of Syria and this wouldn't happen in the first place.
F*ck you Walnut. Saudi is the main US Allie in the area, just how do you think the children would fare in that *ssbackward regime??

Last edited:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
It's the vacuum left by the American leaving that created the oppertunity for the caliphate ISIS to do this to Syria.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It's the vacuum left by the American leaving that created the oppertunity for the caliphate ISIS to do this to Syria.
Wow, you are some messed up in the brain department aren't you? This is what the US does best, usually they get them while they are near a hospital, doesn't even matter what country the hospital is in.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Wow, you are some messed up in the brain department aren't you? This is what the US does best, usually they get them while they are near a hospital, doesn't even matter what country the hospital is in.

I've been living in a country next to the USA for all my life. We hardly even have a army, And not once has the USA ever done anything to us. You're the idiot.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I've been living in a country next to the USA for all my life. We hardly even have a army, And not once has the USA ever done anything to us. You're the idiot.

We even have oil up the ying yang. We have no army and they still don't bomb us wtf?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You don't follow the news do you? Did you know that we can have US troops doing duty here if the US has a 'National emergency' or that all our oil can be sent to the US in the same sort of 'emergency'?
If the Arrow being cancelled didn't show you we were totally under the US thumb then you haven't been paying attention. They already won the 'war' and we lost. Grow up child.

We even have oil up the ying yang. We have no army and they still don't bomb us wtf?
All that oil and no money to show for it. The first refugees out of Ft Mac were the American accountants and they flew out rather than drive through the fires.

Kind of like a bonus day for you Walnut??

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Other than your $1800 a month AISH cheque?

And he wishes the destruction on the institution that grants him this money. Imagine :lol: Helping people is like pissing in the wind. :lol:

Be careful for what you wish for MHz ;). Cause you may get it.

You'll be one of the first to die in this case.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
And he wishes the destruction on the institution that grants him this money. Imagine :lol: Helping people is like pissing in the wind. :lol:

Be careful for what you wish for MHz ;). Cause you may get it.

You'll be one of the first to die in this case.

Can't wait to be helpless in my dotage with people like you "taking care of things".

If you insist on turning us into crackers, make me barbeque flavoured.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Can't wait to be helpless in my dotage with people like you "taking care of things".

If you insist on turning us into crackers, make me barbeque flavoured.

You don't have much time left to live. I recommend you use it more wisely then being mad over some Internet forum conversation. Maybe you can help with puctuations. That's all you've ever been any good at.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You don't have much time left to live. I recommend you use it more wisely then being mad over some Internet forum conversation. Maybe you can help with puctuations. That's all you've ever been any good at.

You have no idea how long I have to live (nor do I) With my family history, I could outlive you, maybe.