Why I'm leaning towards a universal right to bear arms in the US.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Florida policeman shoots autistic man's unarmed black therapist - BBC News

Too many incidents like this make it such that any person, criminal record or not, should be allowed to bear arms in the US for his own protection. Furthermore, the presumption of innocence should be equally strictly applied to any person who shoots a cop in self defence or in the defence of others.

Looks like cops in the US are out of control.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Maybe.

But it's democracy which can lead to them achieving their goal, not some exclusive form of freedom.

Anyway, I'm all for responsible authority, but that needs to happen from top down.

Toronto is a good example where we elected a good mayor (this time) who made sure that the new police chief would enforce that kind of responsibility.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Maybe.

But it's democracy which can lead to them achieving their goal, not some exclusive form of freedom.

Anyway, I'm all for responsible authority, but that needs to happen from top down.

Toronto is a good example where we elected a good mayor (this time) who made sure that the new police chief would enforce that kind of responsibility.

Unfortunately authority is mostly just that. Power quest, nothing more.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You have to appreciate the fact that he was shot for his own good. And the disabled fellow is lucky that the cop can't shoot straight as he fired 3 shots at him despite being told that the fellow was a child in a man's body......

Not sure how that matters, the cops shoot kids anyway.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
not sure if any one noticed but they just smoked that shooter in Dallas with a ROBOT bomb
so the gun / government thing is now moot