Trump university school exposed as fraudulent

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
University's 'top' instructor's job was to sell, not teach

Former Trump University instructor James Harris told students that he was Donald Trump's "top nationwide instructor and mentor" and "his number one guy." But he was a "top guy" for his salesmanship, not his real estate expertise.

In an interview with CNN, Harris admits that his main job wasn't to teach real estate, it was to sell real estate seminars. And while the school claimed its instructors were real estate experts that were handpicked by Trump himself, Harris has little related experience that CNN could verify.

Students who enrolled in Trump University programs sometimes paid as much as $35,000 hoping to be taught the real estate mogul's secrets to success. But much of what was taught at seminars were scripted presentations, and the real goal was to get attendees to sign up and pay for another event.

Harris said he served as a motivational "platform speaker" and trainer at free introductory workshops and two- to three-hour training sessions that were held in hotels and ballrooms.

"My job was to present all of the material that they told me to present. And absolutely motivate them to get registered and enrolled into the programs. That's any sales position at any company, that's your job," Harris told CNN.

Many of the people enrolled at Trump U were elderly, he noted. And among the things instructors taught were ways students could come up with the money to invest, including raising credit card limits, tapping a home's equity or dipping into a 401(k) or IRA.

Trump University's 'top' instructor's job was to sell, not teach - Jul. 13, 2016

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
E. J. Dionne writes (link is external), no one personifies the corruption at the heart of the American political system more than Donald J. Trump. And Trump acknowledges that fact:

I was a businessman,” Trump explained at a Republican debate in August 2015. “I give to everybody. When they call, I give. And you know what? When I need something from them two years later, three years later, I call them, they are there for me. And that’s a broken system.”

Over the last week, we have been provided with a perfect example of what Trump was talking about:

Meet Pam Bondi, Florida’s attorney general.Trump would have us believe that it is pure coincidence (link is external) that the Trump Foundation’s $25,000 contribution to Bondi on Sept. 17, 2013, was made four days after the Orlando Sentinel reported that Bondi’s office was considering joining a class-action lawsuit against Trump University. It was brought by customers who felt victimized by what sure looks in retrospect like a shameless rip-off operation. Weeks later, Bondi announced that Florida would not join the lawsuit (link is external) after all.

Yes, when Trump needs something, he gets it.

And there's more to the story:

The Donald’s affections did not stop there. The Huffington Post revealed Tuesday that Trump also hosted a fundraiser for Bondi (link is external) in March 2014 at his Mar-a-Lago resort. The invitation listed Trump and Rudy Giuliani as “special guests.”

However much he respects Bondi, Trump (or his minions) miraculously misreported the improper donation to her. As David Fahrenthold recounted in The Washington Post, Trump paid a $2,500 penalty (link is external) because nonprofit, tax-exempt foundations are barred by law from making campaign contributions.

The foundation not only didn’t mention the political gift in its tax filings. It made, Fahrenthold wrote, “a false listing, showing that the foundation had instead given [a] $25,000 gift to a Kansas nonprofit with a name similar to Bondi’s political group. That gift did not exist. Trump had given nothing to the Kansas group.”

And on Wednesday, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (link is external), a watchdog organization, filed a complaint asking the IRS to reopen the case because Trump may have violated a separate tax rule against “self-dealing” by nonprofits.
It's that kind of behaviour which Trump's supporters say they hate. And that's why, they say, they'd never vote for Clinton.