Hillary Clinton suggests she’d replicate Canada’s gender-balanced cabinet

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Because it's 2016.

Hillary Clinton suggests she’d replicate Canada’s gender-balanced cabinet

WASHINGTON — Justin Trudeau's gender-equal cabinet could soon be replicated in the United States, depending on the outcome of the current American election.

The poll-leading presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, appeared to indicate her intention to follow suit when asked about it in a televised event on the eve of Tuesday's five northeastern primaries.

A moderator had asked about the federal cabinet to the north: "Canada has a new prime minister, Justin Trudeau. He promised when he took office that he would have a cabinet that was 50 per cent women, and then he did it. He made good on his promise. Would you make that same pledge?"

Clinton suggested she would: "I am going to have a cabinet that looks like America, and 50 per cent of America is women, right?" That prompted the MSNBC moderator, Rachel Maddow, to conclude, "So that's a yes?"

Canada's gender-balanced cabinet has gotten a fair bit of attention in the U.S., fuelled partly by how the prime minister responded to a question about it with a shoulder shrug and the sound bite: "Because it's 2015."

But in reality, Canada didn't blaze that particular trail.

Finland's cabinet is 62 per cent female; Cape Verde's is 53 per cent; Sweden's is 52 per cent; and France's is 50 per cent, according to last year's statistics from the Inter-Parliamentary Union.

Even within Canada, the first gender-parity cabinet was created not by Trudeau — but by the former premier in Trudeau's home province of Quebec, Jean Charest.

Clinton remains the U.S. presidential front-runner, despite a tougher-than-expected primary challenge.

She retains a significant lead over her more progressive challenger, Sen. Bernie Sanders, and is expected to add to it Tuesday in primaries in Maryland, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Delaware.

She has also consistently led general-election polls against the two Republican front-runners — Donald Trump and Sen. Ted Cruz — although she has performed far more poorly against less-successful Republican candidates like Ohio Gov. John Kasich and the dropped-out Marco Rubio.

Trump has also been asked about the Canadian cabinet — and he won't commit to copying the Trudeau formula.

Hillary Clinton suggests she’d replicate Canada’s gender-balanced cabinet | National Newswatch

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
She's a moderately progressive politician which is what the U.S. needs right now.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
She's a moderately progressive politician which is what the U.S. needs right now.

She's a loud mouth who speaks without thinking! :)

She's an ultra progressive criminal who's one step away from charges. How does gender balancing among political fatheads result in improved governance. How does one balance the six or seven recognized genders anyway?

Recognized by whom?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Trump is a loud mouth who doesn't think when speaking.
Clinton is a liar and a criminal who relies on the voter having a real short memory.

A little off topic but Andy Borowitz said something that got me thinking. He blathered something about the educational system needs to be fixed and the fact that people are supporting Trump is proof of that.

I contend though that some of that support at least, is a result of some republican supporters being sick and tired of the status quo, ie; politicians held firmly in the pockets of big business.
Yet by the same token, it would appear that democrat supporters backing Clinton prefer the status quo.

I don't what either one would do to/for the country if elected, but I'd love to see a final showdown of Trump vs Sanders for the presidency. Mostly because for the most part, neither are beholden to corporate America.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Trump is a loud mouth who doesn't think when speaking.
Compared to loud mouths that don't understand what is on their teleprompter.

Clinton is a liar and a criminal who relies on the voter having a real short memory.
Considering Trump will be the hands down winner and 'they' could see it coming they would just hunker down and take him to the the Hugo of the USA. President for life but the plotters will always be in the shadows waiting to resume once he is no longer in power, as with Hugo so in those years America better pick up it's socks if they don't want to return to the 'old ways'. Before 'they' had control of what got talked about, not so much anymore.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Any leader that allows a leader into power who is going to pick a gender equal cabinet, will not get my vote. I want the best of the best running the country and what's hanging (or not hanging between their legs to be a qualifying factor.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The Liberal cabinet has been lauded as a wealth of talent in most reports.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Any leader that allows a leader into power who is going to pick a gender equal cabinet, will not get my vote. I want the best of the best running the country and what's hanging (or not hanging between their legs to be a qualifying factor.

Yes. Pick the absolute best person for each position, &
if it happens to be 50/50 men & women, so be it. If it
happens to be 90/10 or 10/90, so be it, as long as the
best, most qualified end up in these cabinet positions.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The Liberal cabinet has been lauded as a wealth of talent in most reports.
In the PC leftard media maybe. Not in the real world. It is tough enough getting good ministers when the gene pool is only elected politicians but when you deliberately cut that with a bunch of PCology it becomes impossible. Having to balance gender, language, region, sexual orientation, disabilities, etc leaves no room for qualifications.Giving everyone a voice doesn't mean equality, it just means more noise.
The BC NDP have a rule that half of the ridings MUST be represented by women. Means that half their ridings will have a candidate that got the position just by gender. When you are already dealing with such a small gene pool and then deliberately cut 25% of your potential out you are bound to loose.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What? She's going to put together a Cabinet full of rank amateurs?

Well, we do have Ralph Goodale.:) :)

Yes. Pick the absolute best person for each position, &
if it happens to be 50/50 men & women, so be it. If it
happens to be 90/10 or 10/90, so be it, as long as the
best, most qualified end up in these cabinet positions.

It just baffles my mind how supposedly intelligent people can not see this is the only way that makes sense!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Why do I get the feeling that with Killary it has to with having to hire fewer hookers for the (many) conventions?

It just baffles my mind how supposedly intelligent people can not see this is the only way that makes sense!
As long as the person chosen for the position is not in over their head. It isn't like she would be calling the shots anymore than the last few Presidents have.