Presidential election question....

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
For our American neighbors .......
Donald Trump has often stated that he has spent millions of his own money in this campaign....
If or when he gets the GOP nomination, his campaign starts getting funded by the Republican party....
Someone was telling me that when this happens, he gets a good portion or maybe even all that he has spent so far, refunded by the GOP

I can't seem to find an answer on the net.....so... if one of you guys can point me to a source........?
I could probably tell that guy at Timmy, that he's full of shyte?.......or not........:lol:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Actually no, they do not get refunded. It's their choice to spend their own money. However, once nominated they get a nice chunk from the federal government (probably around $100,000,000 for this year).

You can see everything here; http://www.fec.gov/ and here; 2016 Presidential Race | OpenSecrets
And, as it happens, Trump lent his campaign the money. Which means he's entitled to repayment of the loan from donations to the campaign and from Federal money if he gets it (I doubt it, most candidates reject Federal money because of the strings attached).

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
And, as it happens, Trump lent his campaign the money. Which means he's entitled to repayment of the loan from donations to the campaign and from Federal money if he gets it (I doubt it, most candidates reject Federal money because of the strings attached).
That's probably what the guy was talking about.....so I can't tell him he's full of shyte this afternoon........Thanks!
Good thing I didn't argue his point yesterday since I didn't know...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's probably what the guy was talking about.....so I can't tell him he's full of shyte this afternoon........Thanks!
Good thing I didn't argue his point yesterday since I didn't know...

You don't want to piss off the guy who's handling your coffee! :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Win or lose, aren't all donations to any political party a tax deduction? Contracts will be what big biz is interested in and those will be for domestic goods rather than some product that we export when it costs more to make it than it brings in. (that applies to the US and Canada)
Upgrade the trans-canada rail and throw a pipeline or two under the rail bed and have the high-speed monorail people mover above the heavy trains. That kind of rail would work going all the way to southern Chili, and it would get lots of use if it went south from Alberta.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Win or lose, aren't all donations to any political party a tax deduction? Contracts will be what big biz is interested in and those will be for domestic goods rather than some product that we export when it costs more to make it than it brings in. (that applies to the US and Canada)

No, they are not and neither is the personal spending money of candidates.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
He's actually contributed most of his funds to loans, so he would get most of it back.

He's already playing the part of a lying politician.

Welcome to the revolution.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
He's actually contributed most of his funds to loans, so he would get most of it back.

Would you rather ultra right wing conbot Ted Cruz ?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

You assume too much...
See below
Quit making stuff up.....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Here a portion of yur donation is tax deductible. I've forgotten the amount and am not sure it is the same in all provinces.

It used to be 75% up to a certain limit, but that was back when I was young and stupid and used to encourage these bastards!:)