The US Economy Isn’t Doing “Just Fine”

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's Probably Nothing

David Stockman;
During the last 12 months, retail sales of autos were up 6.1% or by $65 billion. But then again, auto loan paper outstanding was up by nearly $90 billion!

That's right. Auto lenders--especially the legions of subprime nonbank operations that have sprung up with junk bond financing----have been extending credit to anyone who can fog a rear view mirror. Indeed, since mid-2010 when the auto recovery incepted, auto credit outstanding is up by $340 billion or by 90% of the $375 billion gain in auto sales.

Needless to say, virtually 100% debt financing of an auto sales boom is no more sustainable than was the MEW financing of household consumption last time around. Like then, the pool of credit worthy borrowers has been depleted, meaning that it is only a matter if time before the debt fueled auto boom of recent years goes pear-shaped.
[...]

In short, this is just one more case of the truism that under conditions of "peak debt" new borrowings do not increase GDP on a permanent basis; they just steal sales and output from future years, thereby booby-trapping the main street economy with recession risk that the Keynesian Cool-Aid drinkers refuse to recognize.
Why Dip Buyers Will Get Clobbered: The US Economy Isn’t Doing “Just Fine” | David Stockman's Contra Corner

h/t sda

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
But, but ... The U.S. dollar is so high!! Think how much that will help to stem the loss of manufacturing ...

Never mind.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
It's usually too high if the U.S. is interested in export. Mostly, the U.S. is more interested in import and your high dollar helps you with that.
It was just a sarcastic comment hell I don't know shyt about economics. I've lived a long time and all I know is you're either flush or your fukkin broke. All the crap in between the experts can pontificate on. Just keep Jack in the Box and Dairy Queen open.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It was just a sarcastic comment hell I don't know shyt about economics. I've lived a long time and all I know is you're either flush or your fukkin broke. All the crap in between the experts can pontificate on. Just keep Jack in the Box and Dairy Queen open.

I like those awesome pecan Waffle House waffles that you get down in Georgia. They are about half pecans and I want another one or two before I die.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
You have to get 'em where they grow the pecans!
Interestingly enough there are hundreds of Pecan groves in Arizona. Especially when you drive by Picacho Peak on your way from Phoenix to Tucson. Pecan trees for miles and miles out in the middle of the desert. I'm sure Georgia is the biggest producer though,,,along with the peaches.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Interestingly enough there are hundreds of Pecan groves in Arizona. Especially when you drive by Picacho Peak on your way from Phoenix to Tucson. Pecan trees for miles and miles out in the middle of the desert. I'm sure Georgia is the biggest producer though,,,along with the peaches.

I remember the orange groves in Arizona. Are they still going strong or did they get wiped out by disease like a lot of Florida's?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
I remember the orange groves in Arizona. Are they still going strong or did they get wiped out by disease like a lot of Florida's?
The orange trees got wiped out by apartment complexes. Use to be hundreds of acres of oranges but the need for housing took em out. Too bad too because one of my favorite memories growing up in Phoenix was the smell of the orange blossum's. There are still plenty of citrus trees in almost every home in central Phoenix though and Grapefruit trees are everywhere. But the commercial Orange tree groves are gone forever.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The orange trees got wiped out by apartment complexes. Use to be hundreds of acres of oranges but the need for housing took em out. Too bad too because one of my favorite memories growing up in Phoenix was the smell of the orange blossum's. There are still plenty of citrus trees in almost every home in central Phoenix though and Grapefruit trees are everywhere. But the commercial Orange tree groves are gone forever.

A shame. It was a beautiful thing in such a dry place. Now you've got me remembering. I've been to the Southwest in the last few years but it's been a while since I was in Arizona. I remember the San Francisco mountains and walking up a big cinder cone called Sunset Crater ... and all of the ancient ruined pueblos through there.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Arizona is a unique place. I don't like desert but Arizona has a diverse landscape. If I ever hit the big lottery I may move back to the high country there because it is pretty with lots of Pine covered mountain,,,lakes and streams.

And it is my home

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Locutus,

It's sooooooo nice when a Canadian like you is ever so solicitous of our day-to-day USA concerns when your own country's currency is so f^^^^^d up. ;)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
But, but ... The U.S. dollar is so high!! Think how much that will help to stem the loss of manufacturing ...

Never mind.

Oh yeah, manufactures love paying $1.45 from their USD priced supply chain, fhen manufacturing at high labour costs, energy costs, taxes, carbon taxes and selling at a 40% discount.

It's fanf-ckingtastic!!!

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Oil Price Crash Has Put Almost 300,000 Texans Out Of Work

The most painful impact of the price plunge has been, of course, the thousands of direct and indirect jobs that have been lost. Approximately 246,000 people were employed in the Texas O&G industry in December 2015, down nearly 20% Y/Y. A year earlier, Texas's O&G workforce numbered a record 306,330.

And Ingham says more layoffs are likely to come. "We're probably looking at at least another 10,000 per quarter in the first half of 2016. And even that may not be the end of it."

“If prices [do] not recover quickly and not rise much higher than they are now for some period of time, then the outlook in terms of overall activity levels and employment, in particular, is fairly dire,” he said. “That’s not an industry that needs as many jobs on the payroll as it has right now.”

From peak levels in 2014 when oil prices were ~$100/bbl, the Texas rig count is down by an estimated 68%, drilling permits are off 70% and O&G well completions have decreased by around 60%, Ingham said.

He pointed out that last week the Texas rig count dropped below 300 for the first time in over 15 years (since March-April 2000). "The last time the rig count was below 300, oil and gas industry employment was below 125,000 jobs."

And, as is the case with jobs, Ingham said the state's rig count will likely decline further this year. "We're down by 68% and I fear we're not done with that yet...On what basis is the rig count going to rise this Friday, or the Friday after that, that's sometime in the future."

The Oil Price Crash Has Put Almost 300,000 Texans Out Of Work, Ingham Says - Oilpro

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
The economy did fine when Clinton was in there hell everyone was working and things were going great. When Bush was elected things slowly started going down the toilet. This from a tradesman's point of view. But what the hell. Sometimes things are good and then there are times when things seem to go to shyt. Just be thankful to have experienced it what ever it is.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Arizona is a unique place. I don't like desert but Arizona has a diverse landscape. If I ever hit the big lottery I may move back to the high country there because it is pretty with lots of Pine covered mountain,,,lakes and streams.

And it is my home

I went there on a conference and decided to stay a few extra days.

I went from Phoenix... to Tombstone... to Tucson...saw the Biosphere II...Casa Grande Ruins... and back to Phoenix.