81% of ISIS suspects in US are American citizens; none are Syrian

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
81% of Isis-linked suspects charged in US are American citizens

None of the Isis-linked suspects who have ever been charged in the United States came from Syria and the overwhelming majority were born in the US, research reveals.

Sixty-eight people have been indicted because of alleged involvement in Isis, of whom 18 have been convicted, with an average sentence of 10 years three months, according to figures published this week by Center on National Security at Fordham University.

Yet despite a growing political clamour over a perceived security threat posed by an influx of Syrian refugees, the data shows that only three of those indicted in connection with Isis was a refugee or asylum seeker; none came from Syria.

Instead 55, or 80.9%, of the individuals concerned are US citizens, including 44 who were born in America. The rest include six born in Bosnia, four in Uzbekistan, three in Somalia and two in Sudan. Fifty-eight are men and 10 are women. The average age is 26 and around a third are under 21.

81% of Isis-linked suspects charged in US are American citizens | World news | The Guardian

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I agree that we are a waste to even be discussing terrorism in the first place but Boomer is an idiot and you're a lemming so the truth needs to be upheld.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh my, how salty of you Flossy.

I agree that we are a waste to even be discussing terrorism in the first place but Boomer is an idiot and you're a lemming so the truth needs to be upheld.
Says the disciple of his new found messiah.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
81% of Isis-linked suspects charged in US are American citizens

None of the Isis-linked suspects who have ever been charged in the United States came from Syria and the overwhelming majority were born in the US, research reveals.

Sixty-eight people have been indicted because of alleged involvement in Isis, of whom 18 have been convicted, with an average sentence of 10 years three months, according to figures published this week by Center on National Security at Fordham University.

Yet despite a growing political clamour over a perceived security threat posed by an influx of Syrian refugees, the data shows that only three of those indicted in connection with Isis was a refugee or asylum seeker; none came from Syria.

Instead 55, or 80.9%, of the individuals concerned are US citizens, including 44 who were born in America. The rest include six born in Bosnia, four in Uzbekistan, three in Somalia and two in Sudan. Fifty-eight are men and 10 are women. The average age is 26 and around a third are under 21.

81% of Isis-linked suspects charged in US are American citizens | World news | The Guardian

So the question becomes how did they become radicalized? I think if one is to correct this problem one needs to understand how this happens.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Flossy seems extra salty!
I blame his saltiness on the fact that he posts these threads, then realises how they shoot holes in his own smarmy stupidity.

Cuz you know, ladders. 81% of them.

So the question becomes how did they become radicalized? I think if one is to correct this problem one needs to understand how this happens.
Unhindered access to ladders.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Oh oh, Flossy's upset I pointed out his glaring stupidity again.

Cuz lemming ladders, lol.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
There is no cure for being a troll. If they had a case they would have posted it, Since they don't you get whatever drool comes out of their mouth. Sit back and enjoy seeing them implode.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

On the internet?

You take psychologically affected people who are ready to kill and give them resources and a nice story.

It's the same as vigilantism.

It's about giving vulnerable individuals that extra little push to take arms.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
psychologically affected? hahahahaha Unless a person is dead, they are psychologically affected.
Perhaps "conditioning" mind be a handy word for you?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It was an example.

People who gravitate to extremism don't have to be brainwashed about some ideology. They just have to believe that killing will justify whatever perception they have of the world.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It was an example.

People who gravitate to extremism don't have to be brainwashed about some ideology. They just have to believe that killing will justify whatever perception they have of the world.
To me it is about the same process that leads a person to join an army and go off to some foreign land and kill perfect strangers; dehumanize and demonize the "enemy" so killing them is not a problem.