Santa Claus running for mayor of North Pole

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Santa Claus running for mayor of North Pole
Postmedia Network
First posted: Friday, October 02, 2015 04:15 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, October 02, 2015 04:30 PM EDT
A man whose legal name is Santa Claus has announced his intention to run for a council seat in a place called North Pole, Alaska.
According to the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner newspaper, there are two seats available in the Fairbanks suburb of North Pole in the byelection set for next Tuesday.
And Santa has a pretty good shot since there's no competition.
Santa Claus -- that's what his driver's licence says -- already has past experience as the former president of North Pole's chamber of commerce.
He's also no stranger to the spotlight, having voiced his opinion last November on legalizing medical marijuana in his town of about 2,200.
"I am a medical marijuana patient," the jolly fellow told city council. "I would like to have access to medical marijuana here in North Pole and not have to travel to Fairbanks to get it."
Admit it, that's not a quote you ever thought you'd hear from Santa.
Santa Claus running for mayor of North Pole | Weird | News | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Santa Claus elected to North Pole City Council, no sign of reindeer
Steve Quinn, REUTERS
First posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 06:44 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 06:54 PM EDT
JUNEAU, Alaska - A man with a soft white beard who prides himself on being an advocate for young children has been elected as a city councilman in North Pole, Alaska.
The rosy-cheeked 68-year-old candidate, who happens to be named Santa Claus, won a three-year term in the community of about 2,200 residents southeast of Fairbanks, according to election results released on Tuesday.
"My thanks to everyone who voted for me ... and all who supported my campaign," Claus wrote on Facebook. "I'll do my best for all!"
Claus, who legally changed his name from Thomas Patrick O'Connor about a decade ago while living in Nevada, said he has been an advocate for legislation and services that benefit at-risk children.
He could be seen in recent days wearing his trademark red velvet outfit and holding a campaign sign in North Pole, the namesake of the home of the legendary Christmas gift-giver.
Claus was one of two write-in candidates for two vacant seats in the Oct. 6 election. He will take office on Oct. 26, North Pole City Clerk Kathy Weber said.
In an interview with Reuters, Claus said that calling state lawmakers and saying: "This is Santa Claus from North Pole," either got their attention or a quick, though temporary, rejection. "It's been a valuable tool for developing legislation to protect children."
Santa Claus elected to North Pole City Council, no sign of reindeer | Weird | Ne