Stephen Colbert Shuts Down Conservatives Fuming Over the Gay Campbell's Soup Ad

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

​Stephen Colbert is a father. Sometimes he wishes there were two of him, like the lucky kid in this Campbell's Soup commercial who "has two dads competing for his attention." Really, the ad warms the comedian's heart. One Million Moms–the activist group that promotes fundamental christian values "by, as far as I can tell, getting mad at TV commercials"–harbors an opposing feeling. The organization feels the ad is "glorifying an unnatural marriage."

The only thing weird here, as Colbert pointed out on the Late Show last night, is the integration of Campbell's Soup and Star Wars. He ends the bit, where he crushes the idiots mad about soup politics, with a sweet anecdote about his own family. He also points out that if it wasn't for One Million Moms, he wouldn't have shown the commercial on his show. And we wouldn't be writing about it here. Good work Campbell's marketing team.

Stephen Colbert Shuts Down One Million Moms Attack Against Gay Campbell's Soup Ad

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Good marketing team, bad soup. Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, for instance might have one tiny little button mushroom chopped up in an entire can. And the "cream" part is made from soy, wheat flour, water, a few chemicals like MSG, and probably a ml of real cream.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Good marketing team, bad soup. Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, for instance might have one tiny little button mushroom chopped up in an entire can. And the "cream" part is made from soy, wheat flour, water, a few chemicals like MSG, and probably a ml of real cream.
MMMmmm. . . MSG.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

​Stephen Colbert is a father. Sometimes he wishes there were two of him, like the lucky kid in this Campbell's Soup commercial who "has two dads competing for his attention." Really, the ad warms the comedian's heart. One Million Moms–the activist group that promotes fundamental christian values "by, as far as I can tell, getting mad at TV commercials"–harbors an opposing feeling. The organization feels the ad is "glorifying an unnatural marriage."

The only thing weird here, as Colbert pointed out on the Late Show last night, is the integration of Campbell's Soup and Star Wars. He ends the bit, where he crushes the idiots mad about soup politics, with a sweet anecdote about his own family. He also points out that if it wasn't for One Million Moms, he wouldn't have shown the commercial on his show. And we wouldn't be writing about it here. Good work Campbell's marketing team.

Stephen Colbert Shuts Down One Million Moms Attack Against Gay Campbell's Soup Ad

GREAT topic thread.

Those right wing moms must be jealous and that's why they're so mad about the commercial.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It merited only a five minute comment on fox news at five...

Oprah and the view have been denigrating Trump for at least 30 minutes....every day for the last six months.....

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It is kind of funny when you think about it. Not funny in the "haha" sense mind you. A whole bunch of right wingers can be offended by something, complain about it no one gives a sh*t. But let one left winger complain about something and it needs to be banned/censored or otherwise made "inoffensive" somehow.

Seriously, if I pitched a bytch about everything I found to be even remotely offensive, I wouldn't have time to do anything else.
Alice Cooper years ago offered some sage advice in one of his songs. "You are the only censor. If you don't like what I say, you can turn me off."
Offended by a Campbell's ad? Who cares? Don't buy their products if you have such a f*cking problem with it.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Pretty benign.

It's like when I joke about how much you want my cock and you get super offended.