U.S. Troops Face Eating, Drinking Restrictions During Ramadan

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
mongrel backbone displayed again

A top commander in southwest Asia reminded U.S military personnel stationed in Muslim countries in the Middle East of the restrictions placed on them during Ramadan. According to a report by the U.S. Air Forces Central Command Public Affairs, Brig. Gen. John Quintas, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing commander in Southwest Asia, said that the U.S. is "committed to the concepts of tolerance, freedom and diversity." But he added that soldiers should "become more informed and appreciative of the traditions and history of the people in this region of the world... [R]emember we are guests here and that the host nation is our shoulder-to-shoulder, brothers and sisters in arms, risking their lives for our common cause to defeat terrorism."

During the 30-day religious celebration of Ramadan, even non-Muslims are expected to obey local laws regarding eating, drinking, and using tobacco in public. Violators can be fined up to $685 or receive two months in jail. A spokesperson for United States Central Command [CENTCOM] said that "we are not aware of any specific instances of anyone being arrested" for such violations.

\For military personnel outside of U.S.-controlled areas, the only exceptions for the rules are for those "performing strenuous labor." Such personnel are "authorized to drink and consume as much food as they need to maintain proper hydration and energy." It is unclear what constitutes "strenuous labor" or whether additional exceptions might be made during a heatwave affecting some areas of the region that has taken hundreds of lives.

more ramadanian stuff

U.S. Troops Face Eating, Drinking Restrictions During Ramadan | The Weekly Standard

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
not as funny as 'when in America'.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Now THAT is funny.

Why? If foreign visitors are expected to obey local laws, then foreign visitors are expected to obey local laws.

Don't moon the moon on the mountainside in Malaysia and be prepared to pig out after sunset only in the middle east.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
When in Rome.

Qur'an 2:256 states:

"Let there be no compulsion in Religion."

We could either follow the Romans' ignorance of their own religion, or we could try to out-Herod Herod by reading the Qur'an that professed-Muslims seem to ignore. If the Middle easterners want to follow the Qur'an so strictly, then let's let the troops decide for themselves. If the locals complain, then maybe we could direct them to the relevant passage. Why not play their own game?

Also, the Qur'an doesn't really accept the concept of national territoriality that the Arabs often invoke. Qur'an 49:13 states:

"O mankind! Indeed, We created you from a male and a female and We made you nations and tribes that you may know one another."

Without such a concept, "When in Rome" becomes meaningless if they consider all Roman citizens, wherever they may reside within the empire (in this case, earth)as equals.

It would seem that it would be far more Islamic to allow the troops to decide for themselves.
Now of course there is the concept of common courtesy, and a courteous soldier would eat in the privacy of his room. But while some behaviours ought to be legally imposed, common courtesy must be voluntary for it to mean anything.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Qur'an 2:256 states:

"Let there be no compulsion in Religion."

We could either follow the Romans' ignorance of their own religion, or we could try to out-Herod Herod by reading the Qur'an that professed-Muslims seem to ignore. If the Middle easterners want to follow the Qur'an so strictly, then let's let the troops decide for themselves. If the locals complain, then maybe we could direct them to the relevant passage. Why not play their own game?

Also, the Qur'an doesn't really accept the concept of national territoriality that the Arabs often invoke. Qur'an 49:13 states:

"O mankind! Indeed, We created you from a male and a female and We made you nations and tribes that you may know one another."

Without such a concept, "When in Rome" becomes meaningless if they consider all Roman citizens, wherever they may reside within the empire (in this case, earth)as equals.

It would seem that it would be far more Islamic to allow the troops to decide for themselves.
Now of course there is the concept of common courtesy, and a courteous soldier would eat in the privacy of his room. But while some behaviours ought to be legally imposed, common courtesy must be voluntary for it to mean anything.

But it is the law.

From the OP
During the 30-day religious celebration of Ramadan, even non-Muslims are expected to obey local laws regarding eating, drinking, and using tobacco in public.
Doesn't really matter what it says in the Qur'an.

Well that is the funny part... the foreign visitors obeying local laws and customs.

Right... when in America...lol

Well should and do are often very different things of course, lol.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Why? If foreign visitors are expected to obey local laws, then foreign visitors are expected to obey local laws.

Don't moon the moon on the mountainside in Malaysia and be prepared to pig out after sunset only in the middle east.

Well pig is not Kosher as well.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
the link to Centcom indicates,

"U.S. military members serving in countries that observe Ramadan are required to adhere to certain practices while outside U.S. installations."

Therefore, the Americans can still eat and drink all they want while on base.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Just more hater propaganda. U.S. forces have to obey local laws wherever they are. The only exception was West Berlin, and it's gone now.

What do you think our troops are, Blackwater mercenaries?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Why the ****ing hell should non-Muslims be forced to observe Ramadan? It's just needless PC gone mad again.

When in Rome.

So I take it you oppose Muslims observing Ramadan in Christian countries like Canada. Because, going by that logic, you should do.

It's funny how non-Muslims are "required" to observe Muslim practices in Muslim countries, yet Muslims themselves aren't forced to observe Christian practices in Christian countries. In my view, all Muslims in Britain should be forced to observe Easter and Sunday Christian worship, or get a £10,000 fine and a year's imprisonment. When in Rome....

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why the ****ing hell should non-Muslims be forced to observe Ramadan? It's just needless PC gone mad again.

What part of following the law is too difficult for you to grasp? Don't want to follow those laws? Don't go there.

So I take it you oppose Muslims observing Ramadan in Christian countries like Canada. Because, going by that logic, you should do.
What you understand about logic and reasoning would dance in the massive ballroom space on the end of a pin.

It's funny how non-Muslims are "required" to observe Muslim practices in Muslim countries, yet Muslims themselves aren't forced to observe Christian practices in Christian countries. In my view, all Muslims in Britain should be forced to observe Easter and Sunday Christian worship, or get a £10,000 fine and a year's imprisonment. When in Rome....
The laws that would force that would be discriminatory and therefore wrong, against constitutional principles in most western nations.

Of course if all your interested in is pettiness and "getting even", which appears to be your "logic", you would feel differently.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What part of following the law is too difficult for you to grasp? Don't want to follow those laws? Don't go there.

Such laws are wrong and should be broken by non-Muslims. When I go to a Muslim hell-hole during Ramadan (although why anyone would visit a Muslim hell-hole unless they have to is beyond reason and commonsense) I would not follow such laws. I will not be forced against my will to follow religious practices of a religion (Islam is actually more of a violent death cult) I do not follow and do not believe in. I am not a Muslim and refuse to follow Muslim practises wherever I go on Earth. I am Church of England and will only follow my Church of England religious beliefs.

The laws that would force that would be discriminatory and therefore wrong
And yet it's not discriminatory for Muslim countries to force non-Muslims to follow Ramadan?

Stop being such a hypocrite, Muslim-lover.